The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I doubt Jake gets a high number - they made an exception for Bo because of the story (tribute to a late friend), and it's only #53. But then again, it may have been a Gillis thing.

Well, on nhl.com it says he is #77 for the Nucks. #18 is Stanton.

Guest Cuporbust2

Not even close.

I'm willing to bet. Zack kassian 2.0. That's about all he will be.

Might end up more disciplined and slightly more consistent then Kassian ( who isn't ) but he's no Ryan kesler. Dazzle here and there , maybe decent second or third liner at best. Not expecting much.

Edited by Cuporbust2

I'm willing to bet. Zack kassian 2.0. That's about all he will be.

Might end up more disciplined and slightly more consistent then Kassian ( who isn't ) but he's no Ryan kesler. Dazzle here and there , maybe decent second or third liner at best. Not expecting much.

That's fine, everyone is entitled to their own expectations. But if I may ask, what exactly are you basing this on?

• Upvote 1

Guest Cuporbust2

That's fine, everyone is entitled to their own expectations. But if I may ask, what exactly are you basing this on?

On the analysis of more then one scout ( as per Ray Ferraro) he lacks playmaking ability. His mediocre attempts at dangles in the juniors so far that get turned over ( which is probably why his ice time was cut in half last game ). He looks decent against other juniors......decent not amazing , but so did kassian. I remember watching kassian when he played junior many times and had a very similar style of play ( except had better hands ).

If nucks fans are expecting the future to be this kid they will be sorely disappointed. Just my opinion like you said

Numbers don't always mean much , but add they produced similar numbers in junior , similar size and almost identicle playing style kassian is a good comparison.

Edited by Cuporbust2

On the analysis of more then one scout ( as per Ray Ferraro) he lacks playmaking ability. His mediocre attempts at dangles in the juniors so far that get turned over ( which is probably why his ice time was cut in half last game ). He looks decent against other juniors......decent not amazing , but so did kassian. I remember watching kassian when he played junior many times and had a very similar style of play ( except had better hands ).

If nucks fans are expecting the future to be this kid they will be sorely disappointed. Just my opinion like you said

People are entitled to their own opinion, even if they have no idea what they're talking about.

Guest Cuporbust2

People are entitled to their own opinion, even if they have no idea what they're talking about.

Lol. Of coarse I don't. Because it's not a popular opinion and what some will think is a buzz kill. Reality has that effect sometimes. People can say whatever they want to this , time will tell.

I played major junior. I'm still employed in the industry so I won't say who for , but u can think I'm clueless if u like

It's possible he's nervous and just trying to impress by hanging onto the puck too long , but if u ever saw him play in junior , you would see it's not the first stretch he has had where he lacks hockey iq and tries to dangle instead of making a play , which he usually ends up turning over.

He's a big body ,and hard worker which is good. The only thing IMO he has on zack kassian. But don't expect much more than maybe second most likely third liner. If that

Edited by Cuporbust2

Lol. Of coarse I don't. Because it's not a popular opinion and what some will think is a buzz kill. Reality has that effect sometimes. People can say whatever they want to this , time will tell.

I played major junior. I'm still employed in the industry so I won't say who for , but u can think I'm clueless if u like

Lol, I love it when people hand out their resumes to insert some sort of authority here. And yet you reference Ray Ferraro as your main source?

• Upvote 1

Guest Cuporbust2

Lol, I love it when people hand out their resumes to insert some sort of authority here. And yet you reference Ray Ferraro as your main source?

Because he has no clue ? Ferraro knows hockey man. And the only reason I use a recognizable name is because people seem to need confirmation from someone other than a blogger with no name.

Edited by Cuporbust2

It's possible he's nervous and just trying to impress by hanging onto the puck too long , but if u ever saw him play in junior , you would see it's not the first stretch he has had where he lacks hockey iq and tries to dangle instead of making a play , which he usually ends up turning over.

He's a big body ,and hard worker which is good. The only thing IMO he has on zack kassian. But don't expect much more than maybe second most likely third liner. If that

How much is Eklund paying you??

• Upvote 1

Guest Cuporbust2

How much is Eklund paying you??

Ya Ya. Blah blah blah. We shall see

Maybe say something intelligent and specific as to why you think I'm wrong. Not as easy as smart &$@ comments is it ?

Edited by Cuporbust2

Guest Cuporbust2

No, because you 'work in the industry' yet are going by the same source as everyone else.

No, I'm saying if u want a name to pin this too , there is a name. This is not somethin new. It's a common concern I've herd all over the place about this kid. Something I could tell watching him the last two years Myself.

You have any good reasons I'm wrong ? Or u just guna throw out crap like that ?

Edited by Cuporbust2

Guest Cuporbust2

He's decent in the corners and wins puck battles (so far) and that's good. He doesn't move the puck well through the neutral zone , and isn't exceptional at positioning compared to other top young playmaking forwards. He has a good shot , and he's big and physical aka zack kassian. He's not going to be that big game changer. He just won't be IMO. Maybe I'm wrong. We shall see

No, I'm saying if u want a name to pin this too , there is a name. This is not somethin new. It's a common concern I've herd all over the place about this kid. Something I could tell watching him the last two years Myself.

I don't know how bad his playmaking abilities were last year, but from what I've been able to watch this year (in the WHL), it is nowhere near as bad as people had made it out to be. As of right now, he's far from being a playmaker, but he isn't inept at making passes like so many people were saying on draft day.

He's decent in the corners and wins puck battles (so far) and that's good. He doesn't move the puck well through the neutral zone , and isn't exceptional at positioning compared to other top young playmaking forwards. He has a good shot , and he's big and physical aka zack kassian. He's not going to be that big game changer. He just won't be IMO. Maybe I'm wrong. We shall see

Game-breaking speed to go with that build.

Kassian is more Nick Ritchie.

Guest Cuporbust2

I don't know how bad his playmaking abilities were last year, but from what I've been able to watch this year (in the WHL), it is nowhere near as bad as people had made it out to be. As of right now, he's far from being a playmaker, but he isn't inept at making passes like so many people were saying on draft day.

I didn't say bad I said not exceptional. Kassian had very similar numbers in junior. I guess it depends on who u compare him to. Junior numbers are deceptive. U can get away with more in junior with stuff that will kill you in the ahl / NHL. It doesn't become as noticeable to hockey fans till then. Wait till he is facing top NHL D men with his skill set. He will be decent , but half the people here want to think he's the second coming of Cam neely. They are going to be disappointed.

Lol, Crap like what? Stating that 'I played in juniors and am still employed in the industry' as if it gives you some sort of authority?

Guest Cuporbust2

Lol, Crap like what? Stating that 'I played in juniors and am still employed in the industry' as if it gives you some sort of authority?

Ya it does. It means I have experience not just minor hockey blogging expertise. Do what u want with that. It means I didn't just learn hockey lingo and think I knew better then people that studied the game for 25 years.

Kinda like sayin how can a professional computer programmer think he knows more than some kid in his parents basement playing on his pc

Edited by Cuporbust2

Ya it does. It means I have experience not just minor hockey blogging expertise. Do what u want with that. It means I didn't just learn hockey lingo and think I knew better then people that studied the game for 25 years.

Im sure you do - probably more than me, but it doesn't mean much unless you can prove it (and I'm not asking you to) - people say sh*t all the time. Might as well stick to your opinion or what Ferraro tells you/us. Its alot more credible that way.

Edited by Canorth