The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

My one fear with Virtanen is his cycling around the boards He is an explosive player (game changer) but he needs to develop that cycle game of his.

I noticed that too. McDavid and Lazar are working the boards and he's floating in front of the net COVERED by two defenders waiting for a pass that will never reach him. Hopefully it's just a chemistry issue because he looks lost in the O-zone.

• Upvote 1

He just ran a guy at the US bench who wasn't even close to the puck. I'm starting to wonder if this guy has a brain. Selfish play ...

McDavid had a few opportunities to pass it to Virtanen/Lazar, instead he took a shot.

Nick Paul wants to dangle every time he receives the puck.

Madison Bowey keeps circling around in his own zone to find nobody.

Ritchie wants to hit everything that moves.

He ain't the only one who has made a selfish play.

Edited by ActiveDouble
  • Upvote 2

I noticed that too. McDavid and Lazar are working the boards and he's floating in front of the net COVERED by two defenders waiting for a pass that will never reach him. Hopefully it's just a chemistry issue because he looks lost in the O-zone.

Agree 100% he can rush but he needs to learn how to support his teammates along the boards, mcdavid and lazar constantly outnumbered

McDavid had a few opportunities to pass it to Virtanen/Lazar, instead he took a shot.

Nick Paul wants to dangle every time he receives the puck.

Madison Bowey keeps circling around in his own zone to find nobody.

Ritchie wants to hit everything that moves.

Standing up for your teammates isn't selfish.

I didn't mean it like that. I love his physical game and that mentality. The specific situation I'm talking about was when he literally went out of his way to take a detour and run a US player who was going to the bench for a change. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Same issue Hunter Shinkurak has in the farm lol, so if both Shinkurak and Virtanen learn that side of their game we might have two studs otherwise .......

Agreed, especially with WD as coach he stresses puck battles along the boards like nothing else so unless Virt can add that to his game, expect at least a year in the AHL

This game finishing 1 - 0 for Canada, with Virtanen scoring the winning goal and Demko stopping 40 shots, would be just about perfect IMO!

Was thinking the same thing except he gets 2 and demko makes 54 saves. I love how you notice jake everytime he's on the ice. I think him and paul were the best forwards in the 1st for canada, tho I did miss the first 8 mins. From what i saw jake had some good chances finished his checks and makes sure nobody takes any libertys on mcdavid. for the peopol on here calling him selfish and a hot head in a bad way, I don't see it that way, he didn't take any penaltys i love that he battles and plays with an edge. imagine him and cole and kass on a line lol be one badass trio

Im hoping that was just nerves for Jake because that wasn't a very good first period apart from one shift

I thought he had more then one good shift. I guess I wasn't looking at just the offense side of things. I thought he played well on d and hit everything in red blue and white. Also thought he did a better job of playing along the wall and supporting his linemates towards the last half of the 1st. one thing we need to keep in mind is he is barely 18 playing in his first wj on a line with mcdavid. it's only natural for him to be a little nervous and doing to much. Not a lot of newbs get to play top 6 mins he seemed to get better as the game has gone on and hope that continues. Demko has looked really good imo so has nurse.

Guest Cuporbust2

I don't see being an "exceptional" playmaker as an absolute prerequisite to becoming a good top-6 NHL forward. I mean, it would really help his cause if he could add that to his skill set but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Virtanen is big (for a winger), blazing-fast, physical, a goal scorer, and isn't inept in the playmaking-department. Most importantly he has a good work ethic, and the fact that his playmaking is better this year is a testament to his willingness to improve his flaws.

I don't think he will be Cam Neely v2.0 either, but I do think he has the tools to be an effective top-6 forward. And, I guess, that's ultimately where we will have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough. I respect your post. I know he also has a hot head. Sometimes that's good , and often it's bad. I hope he can learn to keep himself under control.

Guest Cuporbust2

demko is going to make us play Russia

edit nvm

Demko is a stud. He's guna be a really good goaltender IMO. Great rebound control usually, and good positionally.

Jake looks really disinterested out there. Not engaged in puck battles and floating around the offensive zone.

sorry I don't agree with that because when I watch him I always see him looking for open spots.eg, he skates away from the cycle and goes towards the open ice, but he needs to get into the dirty areas; therefore, wouldn't say he is disinterested. After all he is a sniper.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Jake looks really disinterested out there. Not engaged in puck battles and floating around the offensive zone.

I dunno, his whole line looks like they're not really on the same page.

At least Virtanen has been getting in the Americans faces. I wouldn't say he's disinterested.

I think that line just doesn't know how to play together.

Seing this too. I think he's used to scoring off the rush or being set up for one timers. Almost like he isn't aware that the cycle game his line is playing requires a third man.

Guest Cuporbust2

I do love this kids character. Team player for sure. If he can keep developing his physical play he will be very useful

Edited by Cuporbust2

Seing this too. I think he's used to scoring off the rush or being set up for one timers. Almost like he isn't aware that the cycle game his line is playing requires a third man.

That isn't his game though.

To me it looks like the coach is telling him to stay high. He seems to be the high man every time. Maybe cause the coach wants to use his speed on the backcheck?