The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Well he fits better than Ritchie (not exactly a compliment), but Virtanen hasn't exactly impressed in terms of showing chemistry. Virtanen is impressing with his speed and physicality, but those are things that he does individually, not with his linemates. Jake seems to sit around a lot and wait for the puck - reminds me of Kassian here with the Canucks. Would like to see him use his linemates more, but at the same time, be selfish when he has the better chance and shoot. Basically, I think there's room for improvement in his decision making and cycling game.

I don't think the onus is entirely on Jake, but that line as a whole. Virtanen, McDavid and Lazar just don't seem to have any cycling game - they are one and done most of the time on the rush and that's frustrating. Reinhart and Petan's line (even Gauthier's at times tonight) are able to get in and establish themselves with the cycle to create chances and zone time, but McDavid's line has yet to show that.

Would like to see:

Domi - Reinhart - Duclair

Fabbri - McDavid - Lazar

Paul - Petan - Virtanen

Crouse - Gauthier - Ritchie

I think McDavid and Lazar need another skill guy on their line that can create plays.

On the 3rd line, I think Virtanen can bring the initial danger on the rush and then Paul and Petan can retrieve and sustain pressure with the cycle while Jake can try and get open for the shot or get in on the cycle.

I've noticed McDavid and Virtanen are both looking for the same spots a lot of the time. Two shoot-first mentality players it seems. I think McDavid might actually be more of a winger than a center. Doesn't seem to slow the play down and oversee the ice like a true playmaking center does. Eichel seems to do that a bit more. I bet an Eichel-Virtanen combo would actually work a lot better.

• Upvote 1

I've noticed McDavid and Virtanen are both looking for the same spots a lot of the time. Two shoot-first mentality players it seems. I think McDavid might actually be more of a winger than a center. Doesn't seem to slow the play down and oversee the ice like a true playmaking center does. Eichel seems to do that a bit more. I bet an Eichel-Virtanen combo would actually work a lot better.

Or go with these lines

Domi-Reinhart-Duclair

Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen

Petan-Paul-Lazar

Ritchie-Gautier-Crouse

Am I the only one who was pulling my hair out watching this kid play today?

I'm a huge Virtanen fan, think we made the right choice and supported him all the way up to the draft

But let's not sugarcoat it. The play died on his stick tonight, he looked so lost out there, and he was floating more than he was engaged.

Looking for him to bounce back next game

Oh ya bud. Def left me scratching my head with his decisions out there quite often. So much raw talent, does he have the head to match?

I thought he was physical enough and came back defensively quite a bit.

But other than the play he made to McDavid for the Lazar goal, didn't seem to have much chemistry with those guys.

More worrisome for me was that when he was near puck battles along the boards, more often than not instead of getting involved and working to dig the puck loose and battle along the boards, he seemed to always drift away from the boards watching the battle and hoping the puck would magically pop out to him in an open spot.

I haven't watched him enough to know whether this is a common thing with him, but hopefully he gets that bad habit out of his system soon.

To be honest, JV was pretty damn good at trying to find his line-mates. Every shift, he was making something happen physically and offensively. Whether it's shooting the puck on the net or trying to set up line mates, or his gigantic hits, or his brilliant reads on the takeaway, he's been doing many of the good things which is good to see. He should have gotten that assist on the Lazar goal but if it weren't for him, the goal wouldn't have been scored in the first place.

He's definitely been impressive with his quickness, hands, and shot. I think the biggest problem/con/flaw is his positioning. I really don't know. Is it a coaching direction or is it his lack of positioning? I don't know. Overall, I've couldn't have asked a better WJ so far for Virtanen. He's one of the youngest on the team. I just don't understand with those "he can't pass" comments. In Calgary, he plays with two overagers, one undrafted and the other a long shot to make it to the NHL. Even earlier in the WJC preliminary, he was on the fourth line setting up Point, Gautheir, Paul, Crouse, and they couldn't bury those nice passes. Gauthier as much as I like him, bobbles the puck and lacks the confidence to do something spectacular when I know he can do it.

Anyways, I think it's about time we needed to start putting away the "Virtanen can't pass" bull aside. He can definitely do it, especially on the second line. It's just positioning, which Virtanen seems to have trouble with.

Edited by ActiveDouble

It's interesting to hear how different people see different aspects of his game, and then think he was good or bad. For me, he was average tonight but physically the most aggressive on his team. That will be huge in the next round.

I think McDavid makes it hard on his line mates. However, he should have an assist on a great play that lead to a goal.

I hope to see him in our lineup next year.

That isn't his game though.

To me it looks like the coach is telling him to stay high. He seems to be the high man every time. Maybe cause the coach wants to use his speed on the backcheck?

I hope that's the case, because whenever there were puck battles in the offensive zone I kept thinking, "Get in there!" but he rarely did. In most systems, is it not the center that stays high in the zone, of anyone?

Kid turned 18 3 months ago, even a blind squirrel can see Virtanen has an amazing tool box and should have tremendous upside, he's well deserving of his draft position. As fans we can only hope he develops to his potential, no one knows with an 18 year old, MCdavid could be the next Alexander Daigle, no one knows for sure.

But Virtanen looks very good, amazing speed and physical presence. Been a long time since we've had a prospect that looked this promising.

I hope that's the case, because whenever there were puck battles in the offensive zone I kept thinking, "Get in there!" but he rarely did. In most systems, is it not the center that stays high in the zone, of anyone?

Ya but I think the plan was to let McD shirk his centre-related defensive duties and go balls-to-the-wall on offense. Based on how deliberately Jake was playing high in the zone - almost a 3rd D man - it seems likely this was a coaching tactic. I mean, I've never seen him play that high or completely stay out of the play before. And while it didn't make for exciting hockey for us Jake-watchers, it did work on the Lazar goal.

It's interesting to hear how different people see different aspects of his game, and then think he was good or bad. For me, he was average tonight but physically the most aggressive on his team. That will be huge in the next round.

I think McDavid makes it hard on his line mates. However, he should have an assist on a great play that lead to a goal.

I hope to see him in our lineup next year.

I think McDavid makes it harder than any player on his line mates, and not because of the attention he gets. I think it's because realistically he hasn't been even one of the top 5 forwards on his team and he tries too hard to do something fancy and then another time he is so vanilla. He needs to pick his spots a lot better. It dampens his whole line.

what are you? My parents? I would never want to watch Canuck player getting crapped around like that. It's fine for me if its standing for a team mate or if the other team has started it but some players of Team Canada did and its just classless.

the americans were chirping all night, and they started the chippy crap from before the opening faceoff. it all escalated from there. but i guess you're going to see it how you want to see it.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 1

Man, he was an absolute beast a few times in that game. Wood tried to run him with a solid hit and he got thrown back himself while Virtanen remained totally upright. And then McCoshen tried to slewfoot him late in the third and Virtanen just literally threw the 210lb defenseman down and into the boards. Such tremendous balance and strength shown here for such a young player. Oh baby, this gave me such a massive hockeyboner.

Those were my highlights from this game too! I love how trying to play physical against Jake just means instant karma. A sign of things to come.

• Upvote 1

the americans were chirping all night, and they started the chippy crap from before the opening faceoff. it all escalated from there. but i guess you're going to see it how you want to see it.

thanks for letting me know sir, but who knows if what you're telling me is not the way you wanna see it.

Remember. You have the Americans bearing it all just as I did with some of the Canadian players not all of course.

thanks for letting me know sir, but who knows if what you're telling me is not the way you wanna see it.

Remember. You have the Americans bearing it all just as I did with some of the Canadian players not all of course.

well you can see the chirping by the americans after the first whistle and the 3 punches before the opening faceoff just by re-watching the game, so there's video evidence to look at.

i have no clue what your last sentence is supposed to be saying... are you, by chance, inebriated right now?

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 1