The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

well you can see the chirping by the americans after the first whistle and the 3 punches before the opening faceoff just by re-watching the game, so there's video evidence to look at.

i have no clue what your last sentence is supposed to be saying... are you, by chance, inebriated right now?

I'm pretty sure this is just the way he normally talks.

Oh ya bud. Def left me scratching my head with his decisions out there quite often. So much raw talent, does he have the head to match?

hearing all this bitching is annoying me... You know how fast paced that game was??? He didn't have his best game but he almost scored twice , should have had an assist on the take away and thew some hits and made some American players look like little boys out there... What are you guys expecting? Eric lindros circa 1990?
  • Upvote 1

hearing all this bitching is annoying me... You know how fast paced that game was??? He didn't have his best game but he almost scored twice , should have had an assist on the take away and thew some hits and made some American players look like little boys out there... What are you guys expecting? Eric lindros circa 1990?

Kinda Lindros like if you ask me. The play where he was one on one and pushed the dman down while being the offensive player was Lindros like.

I loved his game last night and even though he didn't score he was creating chances and finding his teammates. There's only one thing I don't get with his game and that's the board play but it seems more like a coaching issue more than anything else.

Ya but I think the plan was to let McD shirk his centre-related defensive duties and go balls-to-the-wall on offense. Based on how deliberately Jake was playing high in the zone - almost a 3rd D man - it seems likely this was a coaching tactic. I mean, I've never seen him play that high or completely stay out of the play before. And while it didn't make for exciting hockey for us Jake-watchers, it did work on the Lazar goal.

This.. Virtanen turned the puck over at the blueline while playing a little high in the zone, he seems be hanging back a bit probably to cover for the D-men who like to pinch.

I loved his game last night and even though he didn't score he was creating chances and finding his teammates. There's only one thing I don't get with his game and that's the board play but it seems more like a coaching issue more than anything else.

He was definitely playing first man back. Seems like Lazar has nothing but McD on his radar also. Forcing the puck at times when Jake is the better option. Is that just me?

He was definitely playing first man back. Seems like Lazar has nothing but McD on his radar also. Forcing the puck at times when Jake is the better option. Is that just me?

Jake's speed causes havoc for other teams because he can easily read passes and lunge to the puck with a burst from his legs. He's usually the other one coming back to help on d when there is a partial 2 on 1 or and such.

I must be th only one who thinks that JV with McD and Lazar has been an excellent line with good chemistry. They spend most shifts in the o-zone and when they aren't, they come back defensively. On top of that, JV brings some protection for McD

I must be th only one who thinks that JV with McD and Lazar has been an excellent line with good chemistry. They spend most shifts in the o-zone and when they aren't, they come back defensively. On top of that, JV brings some protection for McD

Lazar and JV always has to protect McD because he can't punch someone who is 5 inches away. While the whole team is busy riding McDavid's dick.

I'm with Ban TSN.

Can you imagine having to play against this bad a55 in a 7 game series? Every game he destroys 3 or 4 guys, catches players with seemingly ease on the back check and has a few rushes where he has defenseman in desperation trying to deal with his speed and strength.

His cycle game and puck protection needs work for sure.

Before we all go and rip the pants off Virtanen after every game....consider the fact that even the two next superstars in the league (Eichel and McDavid) have been wildly inconsistent and McDavid in particular has been off. Missing passes, falling down, losing face-offs, tunnel vision at times. Watching the juniors year after year it really is a tournament that 19 year olds dominate. It's incredible the difference it can make in some players.

I'm not really a fan of Jake on the left side on his line. I would have deployed him on the right with Petan and moved Fabbri up. Seems Lazar is a lock for top 6 and rightly so as he has the resume and experience along with being our captain. Petan and Virtanen on the third would be deadly. On the bright side the 3rd period showed well for the current trio. Missed 3 or 4 really good chances and chemistry improved as did McDavid's and Virtanen's games. Gonna be exciting going forward.

Go Canada Go!

Edited by sting
  • Upvote 1

I'm with Ban TSN.

Can you imagine having to play against this bad a55 in a 7 game series? Every game he destroys 3 or 4 guys, catches players with seemingly ease on the back check and has a few rushes where he has defenseman in desperation trying to deal with his speed and strength.

His cycle game and puck protection needs work for sure.

Before we all go and rip the pants off Virtanen after every game....consider the fact that even the two next superstars in the league (Eichel and McDavid) have been wildly inconsistent and McDavid in particular has been off. Missing passes, falling down, losing face-offs, tunnel vision at times. Watching the juniors year after year it really is a tournament that 19 year olds dominate. It's incredible the difference it can make in some players.

I'm not really a fan of Jake on the left side on his line. I would have deployed him on the right with Petan and moved Fabbri up. Seems Lazar is a lock for top 6 and rightly so as he has the resume and experience along with being our captain. Petan and Virtanen on the third would be deadly. On the bright side the 3rd period showed well for the current trio. Missed 3 or 4 really good chances and chemistry improved as did McDavid's and Virtanen's games. Gonna be exciting going forward.

Go Canada Go!

If McDavid can keep setting up Virtanen, I'm sure he will find the back of the net. Demko made great saves against him yesterday. Demko was terrific. And I'm still pissed that Virtanen didn't get that assist.

Edited by ActiveDouble

Good game for jake

He was in all u.s"s heads

Constant battles after the whistle and has yet to take a penalty in the tourney yet

Other then offsetting penalties for sticking up for lazar

Loved the one play where a player tried to hit him and bounced right off him and got the worse of it

He finished his checks to hurt the the other player that's for sure

As far as his line goes I don't see the hype on mcdavid

Didn't see it last juniors and I don't see it now

Tries to do too much himself and hasn't shown me he can shoot the puck with accuracy

Virtanen set him up with a tap in during the first period

Wide open in front and missed

It's gonna be a good draft for the canucks looks like there's a lot of decent players that will be available

Am I the only one who was pulling my hair out watching this kid play today?

I'm a huge Virtanen fan, think we made the right choice and supported him all the way up to the draft

But let's not sugarcoat it. The play died on his stick tonight, he looked so lost out there, and he was floating more than he was engaged.

Looking for him to bounce back next game

Excuse me...Jake stole the puck and got plays started nearly every shift, if his linemates had used him better or even got there passes through to him when they did try to use him, Jake would have potted a couple besides the assist he should have been credited with.