The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

There are question marks around every pick in the first round including Reinhart and Bennet and Ekblad. Virtanen was one of the youngest guys in the first round I think.

He will do great and should have a good chance of making the team after another year of junior!

I think Perry more than OV.

Perry doesnt work for me. His skating was always in question and still isnt that great. He has done just fine without having speed though. Jake on the other hand is ALL about speed. His outside rushes are his best tool to produce. I see a bit of Iginla in him, but I think his skating is even better than Iginlas was when he broke in. I mean Jake has world class speed. On the TSN podcast Craig Button said that he might be the best skater of not only this draft but the last 3. I might argue him on that after seeing MacKinnon play this year, but still a very high praise from an ex-scout.

Then after that he ranked him 41 on his prospect ranking ;)

If he starts scoring like Ovechkin we can call Jake OP, instead of OV of course.

Wheeler is kinda what I expect JV to be, if he doesn't make it to that point then I would disappointed, but if he goes beyond Wheeler into Kane/Ovi that would be awesome.

Ehlers is ranked 8.0 C by HF.

Interestingly, he's ranked so far while Virtanen and most of his draft class including Ekblad are not.

They also have an article about Virtanen about being a 'mistake' pick according to 'Canuck fans.'

Ohhhhh you guys....

Edited by BanTSN

Ehlers is ranked 8.0 C by HF.

Interestingly, he's ranked so far while Virtanen and most of his draft class including Ekblad are not.

They also have an article about Virtanen about being a 'mistake' pick according to 'Canuck fans.'

Ohhhhh you guys....

Since when do Canucks fans opinions matter or not when it comes to a players potential?

Pretty sure every player we've ever drafted has been called a bust by Canucks fans at one point or another...

Also, Hockeysfuture is probably the worst reference for rating prospects. They do very little research, and their ranking system seems to be completely random selections at best.

Since when do Canucks fans opinions matter or not when it comes to a players potential?

Pretty sure every player we've ever drafted has been called a bust by Canucks fans at one point or another...

Also, Hockeysfuture is probably the worst reference for rating prospects. They do very little research, and their ranking system seems to be completely random selections at best.

I'm glad im not the only one who feels that way about hockeysfuture

A lot of HF rankings seem to be based on hype/draft position now, which is unfortunate. That's just for the first round too, once you get into the second round onwards almost everyone seems to be a 6.0C-6.5C :lol:

But yeah, HF sometimes has decent tidbits of information about prospects, but you're better off just reading scouting reports and forming your own opinion. Even better if you can watch the player, but in the end no one really knows how they'll turn out.

I wasn't a fan of picking Virtanen, but he's a Canuck now so I'm going to wish the best for him. Especially being a local kid, I don't know how anyone could really cheer against him even if he wasn't the pick you wanted. His skill set interests me a lot, we don't really have a player like that in our system and I think he has the tools to be a very good player.

We'll see how his development goes. Same with McCann, Horvat, Shinkaruk, etc. etc.

The Sedins were called busts the first few years of their careers. I love Virtanen's tools and he's got pretty much unlimited potential. Love the pick and can't wait to go to some WHL games to see him when the Hitmen are in town.

I hope he makes the world Jr. Team so I can see him play

Same with McCann and Horvat. Wouldn't it be something to see them all play together?

If Virtanen keeps healing quicker then regular humans, and McCann can get a bit more offensive production out of that great shot of his then he did last season... they all might make the team.

...and Virtanen now 8.0 D.

what a joke. So an undersized euro who has 1 dimensions to his game has more of a chance of reaching potential than a 200 pound 18 year old who hits drives the net is one of the best skaters in the draft and has a pro shot. Mmmmmmkkkkk

what a joke. So an undersized euro who has 1 dimensions to his game has more of a chance of reaching potential than a 200 pound 18 year old who hits drives the net is one of the best skaters in the draft and has a pro shot. Mmmmmmkkkkk

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong. 5'11-6 feet is not undersized, and Ehlers doesn't have 1 dimension to his game, he actually has more.

But yeah, Virtanen should be able to get into the NHL but he'll have a less chance than Ehlers at reaching his full potential.

Edited by Plum