The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I thought the game yesterday was an interesting one. Virtanen was kinda trying to do it all himself in the previous game but managed to kinda turn it around near the end.

Yesterday though I thought he played really well for the opportunities he was given. In my opinion I feel Lazar and McDavid were a little selfish or elitest with the puck. They were both trying to be the star. The few quality chances they had were when they actually used each other.

Virtanen seemed like he was kinda left out of the action a lot. The times all 3 connected and worked together they really looked dangerous. It was night and day between the 1st line and this virtanens line. I feel virt played a lot less selfishly he was forced to do some 1 on 1 play but I felt he used his linemates much better yesterday.

Kinda disappointed in lazar and McDavid for not using their teammates as well. (Not sure if it's an ego thing or just supreme confidence but IMO it wasn't working). Reinhart and domi looked very selfless. I wish Reinhart was made captain instead of Lazar. ( that's just my 2 cents though)

Loved virtanens play a little rough here and there but it was more of a chemistry issue then poor play (IMO). Very physical, strong on creating turn overs and a solid speed game.

(Sorry for disorganized thoughts at work on phone and sleepy)

Edited by Rush17

Watching the Canucks and Kings game right now and dont see many similarities between him and Carter.

Agreed. He plays such a heavy game, he reminds me more of Ovechkin at times. Doesn't have as good hands yet, but the potential is there.

His play is very similar to Booth, I don't understand why CDC avoids that comparison like the plague. It doesn't mean that he'll turn out like him, just that his way of playing is similar.

Instead, CDC opts for the Carter comparison which is far less viable.

Edited by guntrix

His play is very similar to Booth, I don't understand why CDC avoids that comparison like the plague. It doesn't mean that he'll turn out like him, just that his way of playing is similar.

Booth gets hurt skating Virtanen doesn't

Booth was never a very good shooter or passer.

The only thing really comparable is their skating and their physical play. But that could be alot of different players.

I like the Evander Kane comparison way more.

• Upvote 1

Booth was never a very good shooter or passer.

The only thing really comparable is their skating and their physical play. But that could be alot of different players.

I like the Evander Kane comparison way more.

Booth was a very good shooter before it all started to go downhill.

I agree that his passing has never been the best. It's okay though, as is Virtanen's.

I can't imagine anyone who has actually watched him play compares him to Jeff Carter. Evander Kane or kreider are definitely the best comparisons

Lots of people have compared him to Kreider and Kane. I agree that hes not like Carter, aside from they both have a nice shot and have size and speed. So they are actually quite a bit alike. Hes much more like Kreider with a better shot though in my opinion.

It's very appearent Jake has NHL speed and good size. He needs to work on his shot (hitting the net) from what I've seen in the tournament so far. However you don't score 50 goals in the WHL without a good shot. I'll continue to watch him closely in the tournament and cheer for him to score!

His shot is pretty deadly. Im surprised hes not on the 2nd PP just cause of his shot alone. The only play he kind of whiffed that I can remember is the broken play chance he had in the slot last game.