The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Watching the Canucks and Kings game right now and dont see many similarities between him and Carter.

Agreed. He plays such a heavy game, he reminds me more of Ovechkin at times. Doesn't have as good hands yet, but the potential is there.

I can't imagine anyone who has actually watched him play compares him to Jeff Carter. Evander Kane or kreider are definitely the best comparisons

I'm one of those guys who thinks he plays alot of like Jeff carter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bstxthgxZtQ

1:16

Tell me this guy doesn't scream Virtanen... The speed wide, right handed shot ...Wrap around shot ?

I think he's comparable because of the skating style, shot and hockey IQ. Carter and Virtanen aren't going to break you down with their minds but they are going to beat you with their shot and skating. I do think Virtanen is more physical however.

The comparison is purely based on offensive capabilities i guess.

EDIT: Also funny how he wore #77 in training camp :bigblush:

Edited by junglesniper

Tell me this guy doesn't scream Virtanen... The speed wide, right handed shot ...Wrap around shot ?

I think he's comparable because of the skating style, shot and hockey IQ. Carter and Virtanen aren't going to break you down with their minds but they are going to beat you with their shot and skating. I do think Virtanen is more physical however.

EDIT: Also funny how he wore #77 in training camp :bigblush:

The one where he shoots on the fly and off the half walls, looks like Jake , also the shots on some of those WOW

Edited by Outsiders

The one where he shoots on the fly and off the half walls, looks like Jake , also the shots on some of those WOW

Yup and yup. I'm not saying they are carbon copies; Virtanen is a more effortless skater and Carter probably has a more accurate shot. However, they can both skate to create separation and they can both hammer a puck.

Some of Carter's shots are absolute bullets; I think him and Jake also have very similar releases.

• Upvote 1

Guest Dasein

No man..

If Jeff Carter's skill set: {A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H}

Then Jake Virtanen's skill set: {A, B, C}

Jake has a long ways to go before he starts playing like Carter.

Guest Dasein

Nichuskin definitely has a higher ceiling than Virtanen. Virtanen beats him in the skating/shooting/hands category. Nichuskin is a big boy but I don't think he is as aggressive as Virtanen. But playmaking wise, Nischuskin has the edge.

Debatable. How can you even say that Nichushkin has a higher ceiling than Virtanen if the only thing he's better than Virtanen at, supposedly, is playmaking...

Virtanen for sure has the edge on aggressiveness and physicality (as you say).

Nichushkin for sure has the edge on puck protection, vision and playmaking.

Skating, shooting and hands (I assume is ability to deke/stickhandle?) is all debatable - I think Jake may have an edge on skating, Valeri may have better hands, but shooting is really a coin flip at this point.

Edited by Dasein

Yup and yup. I'm not saying they are carbon copies; Virtanen is a more effortless skater and Carter probably has a more accurate shot. However, they can both skate to create separation and they can both hammer a puck.

Some of Carter's shots are absolute bullets; I think him and Jake also have very similar releases.

Carter has a world class shot from far out, Jake's shot looks similar.

Cant wait to watch Virtanen and Ehlers finally play a game against each other. Ehlers will get crushed by the Canadians. Finally just everything to rest

How exciting would it be if Virtanen crushed Ehlers. I think it'd bring a tear to my eye.

Honestly, I think he plays a lot like Kesler

Cool story bro. Honestly though, I wouldn't get to caught up in trying to make comparisons. He's 18 years old. His game will develop and change quite a bit still. He has a good shot like Whoever. skates like what's his face. Hits like a train. Who really cares about comparables when he's jake the snake Virtanen. He could be like perry , carter, kesler or kreider, all of them combined or none of them. Let's just wait and see and hope for the best , while trying to be patient.
  • Upvote 1

what if Ehlers crushes Virtanen and Ritchie at the same time which pushes the glass down on Nylander who's watching the game from the stands???

Then who would cdc choose as the right 6th pick?

I'd pick the pane of glass that knocked out Nylander. The Canucks could use the toughness..

No man..

If Jeff Carter's skill set: {A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H}

Then Jake Virtanen's skill set: {A, B, C}

Jake has a long ways to go before he starts playing like Carter.

What does that even mean? Of course two players aren't going to be identical (even the Sedin twins have differences in their game), but all I'm saying is that the way Virtanen fits the Carter mold the best in my eyes because of the 3 characteristics of his game.

Carter is 30yrs old.

I don't think Virtanen fits any particular comparison perfectly. He seems to have his own style. But I like it. Seems legit. I hope it translates well and I don't see why it won't.

Exactly

Also Carter is in his prime, so his skillset is fully developed, where Virtanen is 18 years old. Could you say that Carter had skillset {A,B,C,D,E,H,F} at 18 years old? Virtanen's skillset is going to mature with age just like any other player in the NHL.

Edited by junglesniper