The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

So an 18 year old who makes a stacked Canada team who has size, speed and a godly release isnt dynamic enough for you? Gotcha...

Jake had a mediocre first period but hes having a good second period.

what? He's game is what I'm talking about. You can't deny that he was mostly taking his chances on rushes, and floats a bit at the O zone waiting for passes, though I agree he's been better his last shift

He's on the boards!

...and things are happening.

I think he needs to learn the balance of when to play with a sense of urgency and doing everything faster, stronger, harder than the other team, but that sometimes you need to slow the game down. Direct the pace in your favour for the current moment, whether that be quicker or slower.

Edited by Webster6

Fabbri got injured so they juggled the lines

Nasty knee injury. Hopefully the kid doesn't need surgery. Virtanen is more versatile so he gets put in Fabbri's spot on the right wing and Point gets put on McDavid's left. I don't know if the coach is telling him to play high and not get stuck into play on the boards, but he is playing a defensive game more than I would like to see. His speed and physical play is an asset that should be exploited along the boards, but I'm happy to see that he is willing to sacrifice offense for team defense.

Nasty knee injury. Hopefully the kid doesn't need surgery. Virtanen is more versatile so he gets put in Fabbri's spot on the right wing and Point gets put on McDavid's left. I don't know if the coach is telling him to play high and not get stuck into play on the boards, but he is playing a defensive game more than I would like to see. His speed and physical play is an asset that should be exploited along the boards, but I'm happy to see that he is willing to sacrifice offense for team defense.

Once he went to that line, he played down much lower -- on the boards, behind the net, and right in front of the net. For such a difference, would certainly expect that came from the coach, as must have the high playing.

Oh look Point scores a goal in his first game with McDavid and Lazar

You realize that TEAM Canada is winning 7-0 right. Virtanen isn't making any mistakes and hasn't cost the TEAM anything. I can't wait for the next Canucks training camp to see who among Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Virtanen can make the squad

Virtanen has looked much better on Paul's line than he did on the McDavid line.

He's in on the cycle and moving around trying to get open when he's not down low. He's had a few good chances this game too.

He hasn't been as much of a physical force but really there's no need when your up by this much.

Super excited for this kid. Going to be a beaut!