The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't know, there were times where it looked like he wasn't sure where he was supposed to be. That's just my opinion, though. He definitely had a better game today.

He's also been slotted in to do 3 different roles so far throughout the tournament. He's a versatile player, but just needs to find his spot on this team. 3rd line looks like the spot to me.

Edited by Webster6

Am I missing all the hype on here of Virtanen?

He must be a very good player to be on the world junior team, But, he does not get any pp time on the junior team and people talking like he is our saviour? I do not see him dominating or coming close to out there or putting himself in great scoring positions,like his team mates do, so how is he going to do that in the best league in the world, with the best players?

Again, I am not putting him down, I just don't see the pedestal some put him on either. He is another good Canadian kid of 26 on this team and not all past members get to play in the NHL. Although I sure Jake will be given a chance. I just don't think people should put super high expectations on this kid, because as I have witnessed, if the don't achieve them, they are attacked, with no fault of their own. I don't see the need to rush him onto the Canucks, be patient and let him develop

I think his confidence is shot..

I wouldn't say his confidence is "shot", but he definitely isn't playing with much swagger. It looked like a rough game for him. His shots were:

1) Right into the goaltender's logo.

2) Fanned on.

3) Not taken because of a stick lift.

4) Not taken because it bounced off his stick.

He wasn't hitting, he wasn't skating as well as he has shown before, and he wasn't a much of a presence in the offensive zone.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, hopefully he can take a year to work on the mental side of his game then come back next year. Looks out of place on a roster that cycles and revolves around crisp clean perimeter passes. The passion is there though, so hopefully he can work it out.

Bob Mackenzie giving Jake some love by blaming his demotion on the injury to Fabbri. It probably was a combination of both that and his poor play early on, but the fact that Mackenzie has had nothing but good things to say and positive outlooks about Virtanen is very telling about what he must think of the kid.

Calm your tits people, it's only the world juniors.

Most people are saying he hasn't played well, which is fair. If we can't bring up the fact that he has a poor game, no matter the stage, well, then this isn't a very good place to have a "discussion". It is, however, taking it too far when people try to predict his future 8 years from now using a short tournament, where chemistry needs to be built on the fly and lines are often shuffled, as a basis.

• Upvote 4

I think his confidence is shot.. he's only a teenager

Yeah this, his first 2 games he was playing with a lot more confidence. He was bobbling the puck all night and missing on one timers which makes me think he's lost most of his.

All he needs is a goal or another huge hit and it should come back.

QFT this tourney means nothing.

I don't think it means NOTHING. This us the first time he's playing with a complete set of NHL calibre linemates so seeing how he adapts alongside them is worth noting. He seems to be trying to force the way he plays with the Hitmen to work on international ice against players just as skilled as him. Recipe for disaster IMO.

:rolleyes:

To the die hard Ehlers fans giving this kid a hard time, this is the FIRST game he's looked out of place.

Let it go you freaks, we drafted Virtanen so go cheer for the Jets or the Leafs if you don't like it.

Edited by Tystick
  • Upvote 3