The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He had a bad period, tops. On account of his linemates being brand new to him. For the next two periods his line dominated play in the offensive zone. Obviously adjustments were made during the intermission. And on to the next game we go.

Edited by BanTSN

Yeah this, his first 2 games he was playing with a lot more confidence. He was bobbling the puck all night and missing on one timers which makes me think he's lost most of his.

All he needs is a goal or another huge hit and it should come back.

Everyone looked off tonight (except a select few).

I think the nerves of it being an elimination game were the issue.

He'll do better next game.

Edited by Tystick

I'm as big a Virtanen-fan as the next guy, but to not be able to criticize a player without being told to "cheer for a different" team is as ridiculous as anything else.

Sorry I didn't mean for it to come across that way.

That was more directed to the Ehlers supporters/Virtanen haters. I just get sick of people crying over it to this day.

Am I missing all the hype on here of Virtanen?

He must be a very good player to be on the world junior team, But, he does not get any pp time on the junior team and people talking like he is our saviour? I do not see him dominating or coming close to out there or putting himself in great scoring positions,like his team mates do, so how is he going to do that in the best league in the world, with the best players?

Again, I am not putting him down, I just don't see the pedestal some put him on either. He is another good Canadian kid of 26 on this team and not all past members get to play in the NHL. Although I sure Jake will be given a chance. I just don't think people should put super high expectations on this kid, because as I have witnessed, if the don't achieve them, they are attacked, with no fault of their own. I don't see the need to rush him onto the Canucks, be patient and let him develop

He is the 3rd youngest player on the team and has been on 3 different lines in the tourney. He's are highest pick since the Sedins, so expectations are expected and he has lived up to them. He had one bad period and everyone is throwing him under the bus.
  • Upvote 1

Guest Dasein

He's going to return next year and absolutely dominate IMO.

Next year's going to rough.. This year's team is loaded with 19-year-olds from the deep 2013 draft class and they look dominant. Returnees next year would be Virtanen, Fabbri, Point, Crouse and Hicketts (assuming McJesus makes the NHL).

Hate to say it but next year is going to be a pretty weak squad when the 19-year-olds are going to be the 2014 draftees. Sam Reinhart is showing how important it is to have a 19-year-old 1C that leads the charge. Fabbri and Point are not in the same class - the only hope Canada has is Sam Bennett not making the Flames (or being loaned). Good news is, at least Jared McCann has a shot next year.

On defense, Hayden Fleury and Travis Sanheim will probably join Hicketts - same with Jeremy Roy (2015 draft eligible). I hope there are some 2014 late round picks that are playing solid, or else that backend is going to be porous in comparison to this year's mature 19-year-old blue line. But these aren't even the biggest problems...

There were four Canadian goaltenders drafted in 2014 - Mason McDonald (Calgary's 2nd round pick - selected two spots before Demko), Brent Moran (4th round), Alec Dillon (last pick in the 5th round), Kevin Bouchard (7th round)

They are all horrible. I don't even want to think about a tournament with any of them in net - I mean remember how much we made fun of Calgary for taking McDonald ahead of Demko (and still do)? Maybe there's a saviour (a la Carey Price) in the 2015 draft? I don't see the hype train - Canada's screwed in net next year.

Add to this that it'll be on European ice again. Canada is going to have a very young team with awful goaltending - I don't have high expectations. But then again, maybe the competition overall will be weak as well (I don't think so).

I don't think it means NOTHING. This us the first time he's playing with a complete set of NHL calibre linemates so seeing how he adapts alongside them is worth noting. He seems to be trying to force the way he plays with the Hitmen to work on international ice against players just as skilled as him. Recipe for disaster IMO.

You do realize the tourney is being played in Toronto/Montreal right?

Edited by OntarioCanucker

Next year's going to rough.. This year's team is loaded with 19-year-olds from the deep 2013 draft class and they look dominant. Returnees next year would be Virtanen, Fabbri, Point, Crouse and Hicketts (assuming McJesus makes the NHL).

Hate to say it but next year is going to be a pretty weak squad when the 19-year-olds are going to be the 2014 draftees. Sam Reinhart is showing how important it is to have a 19-year-old 1C that leads the charge. Fabbri and Point are not in the same class - the only hope Canada has is Sam Bennett not making the Flames (or being loaned). Good news is, at least Jared McCann has a shot next year.

On defense, Hayden Fleury and Travis Sanheim will probably join Hicketts - same with Jeremy Roy (2015 draft eligible). I hope there are some 2014 late round picks that are playing solid, or else that backend is going to be porous in comparison to this year's mature 19-year-old blue line. But these aren't even the biggest problems...

There were four Canadian goaltenders drafted in 2014 - Mason McDonald (Calgary's 2nd round pick - selected two spots before Demko), Brent Moran (4th round), Alec Dillon (last pick in the 5th round), Kevin Bouchard (7th round)

They are all horrible. I don't even want to think about a tournament with any of them in net - I mean remember how much we made fun of Calgary for taking McDonald ahead of Demko (and still do)? Maybe there's a saviour (a la Carey Price) in the 2015 draft? I don't see the hype train - Canada's screwed in net next year.

Add to this that it'll be on European ice again. Canada is going to have a very young team with awful goaltending - I don't have high expectations. But then again, maybe the competition overall will be weak as well (I don't think so).

Ugh. You're so predictably pessimistic. /Rename Dasein: WetBlanket

As a huge Virtanen-watcher, I was a little disappointed in his performance in tonight's game and for the past few games.

But he did look like he had greater chances with the line juggle due to Fabbri's injury which was great to see.

So I guess I'll just look forward to his next performance at the next game!

Looking forward to a Jake/Jared 1st or 2nd line next year. Preview of many years to come.

It would be nice if everyone being critical

Of Virtanen would realize his age, his recent injury and that the fact he is on the team (made the team over lots of skilled players like MDC

Older players, and players not coming off surgeries) he is also contributing and getting second line time, these are all awesome things!

Just wait till next year

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 2

Meanwhile Nylander has been the best player of this tournament.

9 points in 5 games compared to 3 points in 5.

Just saying...

Isn't this a Jake Virtanen thread?

Isn't there a special thread for those of you that want to talk about the 6th pick in the 2014 draft, called the "Virtanen v Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie" thread?

How many of those points have been on the PP? probably more than half

Forsling!

Anyways, I agree with Canuck1219. It's funny reading those stupid comments of people predicting his career badly because of his mediocre preformance so far in the tourney.

Edited by ActiveDouble

Meanwhile Nylander has been the best player of this tournament.

9 points in 5 games compared to 3 points in 5.

Just saying...

Just sayin what?

FTR; cases could easily be made that Reinhart, DOMI and even compatriot Forsling have been better players at the WJC's.

Also FTR; I was with you in wanting Nylander. But am in no way dissapointed with the Virtanen pick up. Any drop off in skill could be made up in time to develop as he is younger. And he is bigger, stronger and just as fast, albeit not as dashing quick and nifty.