The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

As an aside, and because I don't know where else to put it, I love the draft eligible player Crouse. As one of the youngest on the team, he has played great. Plays big, good skater, hits, dangles, plays short handed. Would love the Canucks to get him although that is unlikely because he will go 5 - 10 right now, and maybe his stock goes up.

Lets keep some perspective.

Virtanen is the 3rd youngest player on Team Canada. This is a 19 year old's tournament. Max Domi...the best player in the tournament for Team Canada, didn't even make the team as an 18 year old.

In addition Virtanen has been shuffled from line to line, never getting a chance to settle in and really hasn't had much ice time.

I am looking forward to a big, tough, fast, talented BC boy in a Canuck uniform personally. The Nylander comparisons really need to die, really old. They are 2 totally different players. Lets see how the soft 170 lb Swede will do against the Kings and Ducks. Probably about as effective as Daniel is while falling all over the ice

Well said.

• Upvote 3

I personally think Virtanen has played pretty well this whole tournament. I never really expected him out-perform the guys like Domi, McDavid, Petan and the others. He's one of the youngest on the team and has looked great for a guy who's been shuffled throughout the lineup for the whole tourney.

You can see when watching him that he has the skills and size to do many things.

• Upvote 2

Anyone else feel like Groulx isn't giving Virtanen a chance to "succeed"?

Ritchie, who has done crap-all in this tournament, has been more favored over him. Virtanen hasn't been a defensive liability. He should've been in the top 3 or top 6.

Meanwhile Nylander has been the best player of this tournament.

9 points in 5 games compared to 3 points in 5.

Just saying...

tumblr_n7y7afHO5S1rn5vzno1_400.gif

tumblr_nbwsigOlh21rn5vzno1_500.gif

tumblr_n8ldkbUdg31rn5vzno1_500.gif

I guess if we had him, he could continue to pass to Forsling. In the AHL for years while they continue to build strength.

• Upvote 2

Ritchie, who has done crap-all in this tournament, has been more favored over him. Virtanen hasn't been a defensive liability. He should've been in the top 3 or top 6.

?

Ritchie is now the fourth line winger and, in that time, Virtanen has spent time in the middle-6. One entire game on McDavid's wing.

If there's one thing I wanted Groulx to do, it's use him on the second unit powerplay. I don't really see him ahead of Domi, Reinhart, Duclair, Petan, McDavid, Lazar, and even Point, so I don't see that happening, sadly...

Meanwhile Nylander has been the best player of this tournament.

9 points in 5 games compared to 3 points in 5.

Just saying...

All powerplay points. Easy to pick up in this tournament.

We'll see what he does when the games get tight.

Forsling has 1 less point than him by the way. Guess we should have drafted him 6th overall.

C'mon, guys, just ignore DownUndaCanuck. At this point he's just trying to get a reaction out of people, so don't give him the satisfaction of that working. It's no coincidence that he decides to show up again when people are arguing about Virtanen in some way. Never saw him around when Virtanen was doing well. Leave him.

• Upvote 3

its probably the way they play. Virt likes to have the puck and be the playmaker, Mcdavid's game is more about passing and using linemates. Virt is the 3rd youngest of the team, that's probably why he's on the 4th line for most of games to figure it out, I know he's 6th pick and should be higher that other guys but he's game is just different and wasted at top 6 when he can be more useful at bottom 6, and that's not making him to succeed, its making the team to succeed
  • Upvote 1

its probably the way they play. Virt likes to have the puck and be the playmaker, Mcdavid's game is more about passing and using linemates. Virt is the 3rd youngest of the team, that's probably why he's on the 4th line for most of games to figure it out, I know he's 6th pick and should be higher that other guys but he's game is just different and wasted at top 6 when he can be more useful at bottom 6, and that's not making him to succeed, its making the team to succeed

Virtanen may like to have the puck but that doesn't mean he's a playmaker

• Upvote 1

I prefer centers to be the playmakers on a line anyway. A winger playmaker can only make plays one direction in the offensive zone, and often get frustrated in high traffic, button-hooking and turning over the puck. They also tend to foray into the middle of the ice near the blue line to gain more room, but then admire passes and get destroyed. They're best on the power play, where there is more space. A center playmaker naturally has more options at his disposal and is therefore more appealing. He's also far more likely to create 200ft plays rather than offensive zone-only plays.

As a power winger with speed and physicality, I'd rather Virtanen be a finisher who can crush guys. He's far more suited for that role, as we have seen.

Edited by BanTSN