The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He looked much better with Petan and Paul. No question they start the next game together. Overall, not a particularly memorable game from him, though he doesn't have to be the "it" guy on this stacked team. He's helped more than hurt his team which is the least you could ask for.

No shift-compilation from me for this game. My stream was absolute trash today and it would be unwatchable on YouTube. Sorry.

Yes. The coach should have had this line from the start. Jake looks best on the third line, and I can see him having some chemisty with a guy like Petan. Plus Petan now has two big bodies to do the grunt work for him to dish some saucers.

Edited by messier's_elbow

I see that JV does not get the same slack that a lot of the returnees from last year's team got. A year can make a huge dif in any players development. That said I notice JV on almost all his shifts. He will be a impact player in the NHL.

Okay, so Carter has almost 3x the skill set as Virtanen, and every skill Jake has Carter also has? So Jake does not have anything at all that Carter doesn't already possess?

You`re making me sleepy. Screw the comparisons (in pathetic detail).

I have never doubted that Virtanen will be a good player, and that he has shown he's got some good tools in the few junior league games he's played this year, but that means nothing when he's getting compared straight up to players in his same draft class only a few picks away from him.

Sure he's young and I know he'll develop into a fantastic winger, but right now guys like Nylander look leagues ahead of Virtanen. I'm just hoping he's a "late bloomer" so to speak and peaks far later than a guy like Nylander will, because I (and the rest of Canucks fans for that matter) will be watching these kids like hawks.

Sorry I guess I just expected more from a 6th overall pick. It's hard not to expect more when Nylander's dominating the World Juniors.

For those of you who say "Nylander's softer than Virtanen" and he won't deal with the big strong Kings and Ducks, we'll have to wait and see, but he's dealing with players a year older than him, players far bigger than him and fully grown adults in the SEL and he's thriving in every single situation he's been in. I don't doubt Nylander won't thrive in the NHL either. This kid is a stud and a future star, and it was a mistake to draft Virtanen over him. I'm fine with Virtanen over Ehlers and Ritchie, but I knew we would regret letting Nylander go from the get go and he's embarrassing all you Canadian-homers in this tournament.

It's a junior tounament, lots of kids look world class out there but lots of them don't look so good once they get into the NHL. Maybe you should wait 3-4 years before creating a manifesto like the one you just posted.

I have never doubted that Virtanen will be a good player, and that he has shown he's got some good tools in the few junior league games he's played this year, but that means nothing when he's getting compared straight up to players in his same draft class only a few picks away from him.

Sure he's young and I know he'll develop into a fantastic winger, but right now guys like Nylander look leagues ahead of Virtanen. I'm just hoping he's a "late bloomer" so to speak and peaks far later than a guy like Nylander will, because I (and the rest of Canucks fans for that matter) will be watching these kids like hawks.

Sorry I guess I just expected more from a 6th overall pick. It's hard not to expect more when Nylander's dominating the World Juniors.

For those of you who say "Nylander's softer than Virtanen" and he won't deal with the big strong Kings and Ducks, we'll have to wait and see, but he's dealing with players a year older than him, players far bigger than him and fully grown adults in the SEL and he's thriving in every single situation he's been in. I don't doubt Nylander won't thrive in the NHL either. This kid is a stud and a future star, and it was a mistake to draft Virtanen over him. I'm fine with Virtanen over Ehlers and Ritchie, but I knew we would regret letting Nylander go from the get go and he's embarrassing all you Canadian-homers in this tournament.

Most of those grown men in the SEL can't do crap and are washed up. NHL is a completely different league compared to Nylander's league. The fact that every single aspect of the game changes, even the ice, means no easy transition for Nylander. I do however agree he will become a future NHL stud with the right development, but you can't just say that "oh nylander played in the SEL, he's definitely going to be ready to play in the NHL". NHL is way more fast paced, smaller ice, physicality, and sometimes that extra ruggedness that the SEL doesn't have.

I'll keep my Virtanen.

• Upvote 2

This. The SEL is full of slow, soft-skating pansies who need wide open space to keep from falling down on their own, sorry. That's why 18yr old kids can put up some decent points there. It's actually the right league for him at the moment, so he's less likely to get hurt, but that being said, Nylander's been slowing down in that league after a decent start.

I'll take JV's game at the pro level over Nylander's any day of the week. He had a poor game last night, but he's had a great tournament. Don't forget, he's still a young player in this tourney. Next is is the year he should be an impact player.

It's a junior tounament, lots of kids look world class out there but lots of them don't look so good once they get into the NHL. Maybe you should wait 3-4 years before creating a manifesto like the one you just posted.

opinions, its called an opinion yet you called a manifesto just because you don't like it. And of course this tourney means nothing, you don't want to see a 6th overall draftee playing in the fourth line do you.

JV is going to be a stud, anyone remember the 2009 tournament. The second line had Esposito-Tavares-DiDomenico. Esposito had a great tournament, but hasn't played an NHL game yet. The World juniors are a nice tournament but they aren't an appropriate scale to measure a players NHL potential.

JV is going to be a stud, anyone remember the 2009 tournament. The second line had Esposito-Tavares-DiDomenico. Esposito had a great tournament, but hasn't played an NHL game yet. The World juniors are a nice tournament but they aren't an appropriate scale to measure a players NHL potential.

No but they tell you a lot about the little things about a players game that are either good

Or bad.

Most of the time they can be fixed with coaching but still

Hey 87 Crosby

JV may well be a good player in this league I agree,

You made comparisons with Esposito and said this tourney isn't an appropriate scale to measure a NHL player potential, then what are you basing it on?

Esposito as I recall was being compared to Lafleur and possible 1st overall selection

So many top prospects have never achieved what seemed imminent because of youth distractions or whatever?

Can you please explain the appropriate scale to measure why Esposito and others don't pan out and JV will?

Myself and others may have overlooked that scale ? :)

In tomorrows NHL Virtanen is more valuable to a teams overall push for a cup than Nylander.

If you look at the best right wingers in the league right now the majority of them are built just like Virtanen 6'+ and heavy 210 and up. Voracek, Tarasenko, Kessel, Okposo, Ovechkin, Wheeler, Simmonds, Ryan, Hossa, the list goes on and on. Most of these guys were early first round picks just like Virtanen, a few have elite speed, and heavy shots like him, and a few have better hands, but are obviously much more developed.

The best centres in the league at Nylanders size are Giroux, Johnson, Hudler, Reibiro, and Filpula that's all from the top 30 scorers in the NHL at the C position. Now Nylander could be the next Giroux, but he doesn't play a North American game like Giroux. Maybe he will one day, but still Virtanen's chance of being an impact first line winger are much higher than Nylanders as an impact first line centre. History has shown us time & time again, and the best part is the players are only getting bigger every year.

• Upvote 2

What did the 2009 WJ Championship tell us about Cody Hodgson, where he led the tourney in scoring with 16 points?

Stud and Future captain were two words used liberally on these boards as I recall.

I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot analyzing how he does on every shift in every game. He's one of the youngest guys on the team and only 5 months older then McDavid. It's his first WJ tourney coming off a serious injury which didn't allow him to train all summer and only allowed him 20 games to get his game back before this tourney.

It's obvious he's been given a certain role with this team and overall I think he's playing it pretty well I'd say. His being able to watch how some of the leaders on this team act and prepare on a daily basis to take their games to another level will be invaluable for him.

Here's hoping he comes back to the Hitmen and kills it for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 4

Don't forget Jordan Schroder's performance in the World Jrs, he holds the record for most points (overall) by any US born player. Also in 2009 Cody Hodgson outscored Tavares and Eberle. Hell Anton Rodin got 10 points in 6 games in 2010.

I would say that while it does showcase some skill, it is not indicative of success at the NHL level.

Nylander, Forsling, Domi and Petan may be tearing it up now, but it's guys with speed AND size and strength like Virtanen that help you win in the playoffs, especially in the West.

The only one embarrassing themselves is you and every other idiot still parroting about our GM not knowing what he's doing.

You go on about Nylander and his scoring prowess like it's the only thing that matters in building a team. Jake has attributes in his game that Nylander can only dream about and likewise for Virtanen.

Until your boy can be an effective NHL playoff player why don't you just shut up about how pretty he looks. It's the World Juniors?? Schroeder, Rodin, Paajarvi, B.Schenn, Hodgson, Reway, Forsling....do these names mean anything to you? Or how about Dal Colle, Fleury..?

JB wants to build a big strong, fast in your face type playoff type team and all you can seem to see is Nylander his skill, his points (mostly pp) and his pretty hair. The way it's looking maybe Carolina should have drafted Forsling instead of Fleury? TL and JB don't want there hopes of winning a cup pinned on a player like Nylander. His dad was a point producing puss and it's most likely the beauty queen is going to be the same.

Virtanen was the better pick, it's our guy and I'm certain watching him that he will effect a playoff series more than your figure skater.

Guest Dasein

Balding comes from his mothers father, so he may be in luck.

I read that there are other genes that affect baldness so having his mom's X-chromosome may not be enough