The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Guest Dasein

I'd like to see him work on his floating when he doesn't have the puck. That's something that can be easily corrected. He also needs to work on getting open. He had an average game tonight. Wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. Had a couple good shots, some nice hits

Pretty much the story of his tournament apart from the 1st game.

I hope he can turn it up a notch for the Gold medal game.

Hasn't been great the last few games but has been bumped around the lineup. The bottom two lines are essentially the same and interchangeable and I wonder if we're going to stack the top two lines for the gold medal game. Remember, all (I think) of the guys on the top two lines are top picks from last year's draft (save for McDavid?). I think Virtanen will be a top 6 player next year.

I'm guessing the excitement of playing in the tournament has worn off and this is more of the game you'd expect to see from virtanen. I doubt he's injured.

I've watched him play a few WHL games before the tournament started and he was much better in those games than he ever was here in this tournament. The competition here is superior to the WHL (of course) so that will affect his production, but it shouldn't make him not skate as well or play physically this infrequently.

I know I'm biased, but I'm not really sure why Groulx would go with Point over Virtanen with McD and Lazar? Point really hasn't done all that much on that line... Seemed like Virt had some chemistry with the other two

Groulx did try Virtanen there for an extended period of time during this tournament and he saw what that looked like. You can't say that Jake's earned to be in the top 6 so far in this tournament based on his play.

I think Bob McKenzie said in a post-game that they wanted Virtanen's size and physicality on Petan's wing. Point on his right-side may have been too small a line for Groulx. Fabbri is small too but he plays are a far more hard-nosed style that belies his frame.

Guest Dasein

I think Bob McKenzie said in a post-game that they wanted Virtanen's size and physicality on Petan's wing. Point on his right-side may have been too small a line for Groulx. Fabbri is small too but he plays are a far more hard-nosed style that belies his frame.

Wasn't that a couple games ago though? And he hasn't exactly brought that either after the transition, or at least he's been very inconsistent with it shift-to-shift.

Wasn't that a couple games ago though? And he hasn't exactly brought that either after the transition, or at least he's been very inconsistent with it shift-to-shift.

The post you replied to is talking about playing Point with McDavid + Lazar ahead of Virtanen, which happened after Fabbri got hurt last game. Point didn't get a shift in the previous game against the US.

So it was after the Denmark game that McKenzie explained the thought process behind Point on line 2 and Virtanen on line 3.

EDIT: I watched the video again (McKenzie post-game against Denmark) and he didn't mention Virtanen on the line because of size and physicality or Point making the line too small. Huh.. I swore I heard that after (or maybe during) last game.

Edited by Canucks1219

Guest Dasein

The post you replied to is talking about playing Point with McDavid + Lazar ahead of Virtanen, which happened after Fabbri got hurt last game. Point didn't get a shift in the previous game against the US.

So it was after the Denmark game that McKenzie explained the thought process behind Point on line 2 and Virtanen on line 3.

Ah alright. And I'm saying that if that's the reason he's been placed on Petan's wing, he hasn't been doing a very good job and has been inconsistent with his efforts.

The Sedins are really classy, really nice guys...really nice, good players albeit on the decline of their careers...but it has been proven over many years...in really tough series against the big tough teams in the West and in the NHL...you are not going to win a Stanley Cup with these guys as your top players. Not in their prime and certainly not now.

Lets extrapolate that to Nylander and just give Benning the benefit of the doubt in going a different direction in drafting a big, fast, tough, Canadian power forward and going a different direction.

This is one of the most misleading conclusions on CDC. The Canucks could have very well won the cup with the Sedins leading the line.

The Hawks are an example of a team not being the biggest but still winning the cup. Heck they got more than one to show for it.

Opting for the "big" prototype is not a bad way to go and it's definitely not the only one. To act like it's go big or go home is misleading.

Edited by guntrix
  • Upvote 3

Jake looks a little lost out there at times...but let's not forget that guys like Nurse and Domi didn't even make the team the year they got drafted. Also I think that the success of the smaller guys doesn't necessarily translate to NHL success where d men are built like trucks and can skate like the wind.

Like someone else said earlier I'm more concerned about a guy like shinkaruk than I am about Jake at this point.

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 1

Thanks again for the video, 1219.

1:46 When he trucked that guy in the first it didn't look like dude was going to get back up for awhile.

4:30 He was skating faster backwards than the rest of the guys there were forward. Unreal.

Was coasting a lot though. Happens when you're up on the score.

Bring on the Soviets.

This is such a fun tournament to watch when there are no Canucks on team Canada.

Really takes away from the whle country thing and makes it individualized

I disagree. I still like watching it, it just adds an extra layer of excitement to watch some of our young guns duke it out on the world's biggest stage.

This is such a fun tournament to watch when there are no Canucks on team Canada.

Really takes away from the whle country thing and makes it individualized

Eh, I don't feel that way at all. I guess things might get brought down a little by the fact that a Canucks prospect isn't doing relatively well, but I've still enjoyed the team's success a lot. I pay extra attention to Virtanen because I put together videos for people who want to have a closer look at his game later or never caught the game live, but that doesn't take away from my Canadian pride when watching the games.

Bad game against Slovakia. He's never had time to develop chemistry with anyone though. I'm thinking he's either playing hurt (unlikely) or the coach has instructed him to play a certain style which doesn't fit him.

He has to be playing as he's been told to do. He's basically been the third man high on every shift, so I've seen a real reluctance by him to get involved in battles along the boards or deep in the corners.

I'm sure it's also been difficult for him given he's not on the special teams. That's a lot of time spent on the bench and as we know, big guys need to be involved early and often to get into the game. I don't think it's a coincidence that we haven't heard much from Ritchie as well in the last couple of games either.

Hopefully as a first year WJ player, he's simply doing whatever is asked of him to help the team. This team has more than enough star power, so they don't really need him to score.

That's what I'm hoping at least, and I expect that next Christmas he'll be one of the leaders on the team.

• Upvote 1

This is his first world juniors and he's playing in a support role. This team is built around 19 year olds and McDavid.

Lots of players have had average world juniors only to come back strong the next year.

Next year he'll hopefully have a bigger role as the 19 year olds graduate.

• Upvote 1

Jake looks a little lost out there at times...but let's not forget that guys like Nurse and Domi didn't even make the team the year they got drafted. Also I think that the success of the smaller guys doesn't necessarily translate to NHL success where d men are built like trucks and can skate like the wind.

Like someone else said earlier I'm more concerned about a guy like shinkaruk than I am about Jake at this point.

I agree!