The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

That's what happens when your last man back. You cover the open man, he stopped skating at the center dot. Listen i'm not calling him a plug with no talent, it was just his man and he stood there and watched him. Even if he doesn't think he's going to catch him you skate and atl east put pressure on him.

Bowey jumps up and gets caught, and you blame Virtanen.

If that was Bieksa, fans would blame Bieksa, not the forward backchecking.

Virtanen is not a two way-forward (yet). If the coach expects him to play that role and be the first man back, he's misplaying him plain and simple. Virtanen is fast, but he's not catching that guy when he's gassed. That was on the whole unit letting that breakdown happen.

Fans need to stop focusing on all his little mistakes. He's 18 years old. I've seen the 19 year old players make lots of mistakes in this game. He shouldn't be held to any higher of a standard just because he's a Canucks prospect.

Edited by DeNiro

Virtanen and Domi's penalty were bad IQ awareness of the time of the game. Yeah the penalty is not a great call but definitely don't give the refs a reason to make one.

Teenager mistake, he will learn to develop a better awareness of the time of the game to make that play. Not serious thing but something he needs to learn or the coach will bench him everytime for that.

That rush even though was Bowey's fault for turning it over, Virtanen had to skate harder than that. he is faster than what he showed, and in the NHL he will need to be better defensively or he won't earn the coach's trust. As bad as it was for Bowey to turn it over, it was magnified more on Virtanen's part because he had to make a more conscientious effort to stop that cross ice pass.

• Upvote 2

Bowey jumps up and gets caught, and you blame Virtanen.

If that was Bieksa, fans would blame Bieksa, not the forward backchecking.

Virtanen is not a two way-forward (yet). If the coach expects him to play that role and be the first man back, he's misplaying him plain and simple. Virtanen is fast, but he's not catching that guy when he's gassed. That was on the whole unit letting that breakdown happen.

Fans need to stop focusing on all his little mistakes. He's 18 years old. I've seen the 19 year old players make lots of mistakes in this game. He shouldn't be held to any higher of a standard just because he's a Canucks prospect.

He may not be a two way forward but it is a understanding the last man back should make an effort to take away the pass.

Virtanen will develop that two way game but he needs to learn from that mistake. Good thing Groulx isn't his regular coach.

I agree that people should stop nitpicking but you also need to develop a thicker skin despite people talking negatively about a prospect you like

• Upvote 2

Virtanen and Domi's penalty were bad IQ awareness of the time of the game. Yeah the penalty is not a great call but definitely don't give the refs a reason to make one.

Teenager mistake, he will learn to develop a better awareness of the time of the game to make that play. Not serious thing but something he needs to learn or the coach will bench him everytime for that.

That rush even though was Bowey's fault for turning it over, Virtanen had to skate harder than that. he is faster than what he showed, and in the NHL he will need to be better defensively or he won't earn the coach's trust. As bad as it was for Bowey to turn it over, it was magnified more on Virtanen's part because he had to make a more conscientious effort to stop that cross ice pass.

Im sorry what does IQ have to do with hitting?

Im sorry what does IQ have to do with hitting?

IQ means a player is fully aware of not only the surroundings of himself and the play but also the timing of the game. The ebbs and flows of the game also factor into how a player thinks the game.

Its not just about passing and being aware of the opportunities around you but having the intelligence to know when to make a sure play or not. IQ can factor into hitting, block shots, when to dump it in or chase the puck down. IQ factors into everything

Virtanen is still young, people who say he has lack of IQ I assume think its something he is plagued for eternity...you can develop hockey IQ but it takes a lot more time to develop it.

Having high hockey IQ doesn't mean you are always the most skilled player. Sam Reinhart is an example of having high IQ because he is able to understand when to make the right play according to the tempo and time of the game.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 2

Either way, Bowey made a ridiculous pinched, that he shouldn't have and Jake needed to back check harder for a guy with his speed.

That's my whole point.

I'm saying Virtanen should take some of the blame. But the breakdown starts with Bowey being out of position and causing a 2 on 1.

The whole unit out there is responsible. Yes he could have put some more effort in, but it likely would have lead to a goal anyways.

Edited by DeNiro

Bowey made a bad pinch but Virtanen was there, and he was in position to cover. Just because it was Bowey's fault, doesn't mean you just watch the play unravel because it's not your job. He could've skated hard, and he could've helped defensively. So what if he's not a two way forward, doesn't mean he doesn't know how to skate. We're not knocking on him as a player, but he made a bad play there. No need for these sarcastic "bust" jokes

The whole sequence was a bad play.

You may single out one player and say it was his fault, but I'm not going to.

I think fans are focusing a little too closely on Virtanen.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic