The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

You think we are getting 1st overall in 2016? What are you basing this on?

Hopefully Jakes just banged up and getting a few days off. If thats the case, I gained a bit more respect for the Hitmen org then I had previously.

No just tossing things around if we did luck into a 1st overall.

I think everyone is panicking and jumping to conclusions when we don't really know anything yet.

He may have just had some good bruising and needed a few days down time. This is a sport where minor injuries happen all the time. In playoffs, they play through them. Mid season with a team performing well, they take a few days to heal.

I think everyone is panicking and jumping to conclusions when we don't really know anything yet.

He may have just had some good bruising and needed a few days down time. This is a sport where minor injuries happen all the time. In playoffs, they play through them. Mid season with a team performing well, they take a few days to heal.

ya. And its just a coincidence he didnt finish his last game and notably took a knee on knee and was seen having his shoulder worked on by the training in the hall with considerable pain.

I was noticing that as well. It's strange, but I think this board has been lurked by pseudofans for awhile now. Probably from out east.

Way too many over emotional people that are upset that management traded Schneider or Kesler. Or perhaps the winter darkness has everyone depressed. Unless what management does perfectly matches what they dreamed they would do it's doom and gloom if only to prove that they were right all along. If it matches, then whatever they were cheering can do no wrong.

Thus is how the mentality of Vancouver works. And not just for the Canucks.....

God forbid we actually wait for these teenagers to become actual adults before we start being 100% certain as to their destiny..... :sadno:

• Upvote 1

Even if Jake is injured, he's going to be fine. Injuries are a part of hockey ffs. He still ended up finishing his last game so it can't be that serious

Came across this article from the Calgary Sun today, even though it's from earlier in the week. Nice to see other people throwing around the comparison of Getzlaf, even though I don't necessarily agree with it myself. Still, I think we should all be pretty excited about his future.

source: http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/12/calgary-hitmen-forward-jake-virtanen-flattered-by-comparisons-to-for-hitmen-great-ryan-getzlaf

The comparisons, in this case, are based in reality.

Maybe not entirely fair.

That’s what happens when a young hockey player is compared to one of the best in the game.

But it’s the kind of company Calgary Hitmen winger Jake Virtanen is keeping these days.

And now he’s got even more in common with former Hitmen star Ryan Getzlaf.

They’re both power forwards who could/can dominate at the WHL level.

And now they both have world junior gold medals.

Virtanen said the comparisons are fine with him. Even flattering.

“I kind of model my game after him a little bit,” Virtanen said. “He’s a good player to model my game after. He’s a great NHLer, an everyday player who goes to the rink and works hard.

“It would be an honour to be a guy like that, and be a captain for your team.”

Who wouldn’t want to be compared to a two-time Olympic gold medallist and arguably the best player in Hitmen franchise history?

Virtanen received a loud ovation from the Saddledome faithful Sunday afternoon when he was recognized for his gold medal performance, something Getzlaf accomplished in 2005.

Getzlaf will be honoured in the same building exactly a week later when he’ll become the first member of the ‘Forever a Hitmen’ program.

“There’s still lots of things I have to do, obviously,” Virtanen said. “Ryan Getzlaf has a good rep.

“It’s cool that they’ll honour him.”

Getzlaf was more flash than crash.

Sure, the Anaheim Ducks star was physical and used his size to his advantage, it was his sublime hands, unmatched vision and howitzer slapshot that made him a can’t-miss prospect during his time in Calgary.

Virtanen is more bull-in-a-china-shop than dangler. He’d just as soon go over or through a defender than around him.

His speed and willingness to stick his nose in the dirty areas makes the Abbotsford, B.C., product versatile.

Look at Virtanen’s time with Team Canada.

He played on nearly every line, skating alongside uber-prospect Connor McDavid on one night and crashing and banging with the fourth trio the next night.

But he said he stayed true to what earned him a red and white Maple Leaf jersey regardless of who his linemates were.

“I just kept playing my game,” the 6-foot-1, 207-pounder said. “(The coaches) definitely wanted me playing physical and making room.

“I was just playing my game, shooting the puck and keeping it simple.

“It was cool playing with guys like Curtis Lazar and McDavid and experience how skilled they are and how dominant they are on the ice. It was an honour playing those guys.”

Virtanen said he doesn’t have any special plans for his new gold medal, but realizes that will probably change whether he wants it to or not.

“Probably just (keep it) at home,” Virtanen said. “I know my mom will probably frame it eventually.

Edited by Robongo

Even if Jake is injured, he's going to be fine. Injuries are a part of hockey ffs. He still ended up finishing his last game so it can't be that serious

Came across this article from the Calgary Sun today, even though it's from earlier in the week. Nice to see other people throwing around the comparison of Getzlaf, even though I don't necessarily agree with it myself. Still, I think we should all be pretty excited about his future.

source: http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/12/calgary-hitmen-forward-jake-virtanen-flattered-by-comparisons-to-for-hitmen-great-ryan-getzlaf

He was actually on the bench for the last minute of play when the Hitmen were pressing for the equalizer. And before that he missed a couple shift for the shoulder injury. He din't finish the game healthy.

He was actually on the bench for the last minute of play when the Hitmen were pressing for the equalizer. And before that he missed a couple shift for the shoulder injury. He din't finish the game healthy.

Yea but he didn't leave either, and even if he did it's hardly worthy of some of the sky is falling type comments on here.

Edited by Robongo

Came acrossthis article frhttp://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-30-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.183391om craig button and had to laugh. Itsbuttons list of top 30 drafted prospects has Max domi at #1 and had Nylander and ehlers and kempe in the top 30, but not jake. I swear button is such an idiot. tho not surprised he was the only scout to not have jake in the top 10. I think he had him in the 2nd round for godsake

I pray for Virtanen. Guy has some injury problems and if these injuries continue the idiotic, moronic imbeciles of this city will be ragging on him constantly if Desjardins doesn't give him any opportunity, and he doesn't immediately produce points in the NHL. It could be worse than what we're seeing with Kassian.

These people don't realize that some players take a while to adjust both physically and mentally to the NHL.