The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

from that same article, here's his top 3 canucks prospects:

1. Jake Virtanen - RW 18

2. Gustav Forsling - D 18

3. Thatcher Demko - G 19

I mean c'mon Button. You could have made it look like you put some effort into choosing these guys, not just taking the three guys that played in this years WJC.

Edited by wshdrvvn

Forsling is our #2 prospect according to him. He bases so much off the World Juniors, Domi #1...

Ya nothing against domi, but id have mantha Morrisy way ahead of him. Both have shown they can handle there own in the ahl. And to have nylander ehlers kempe all guys picked after jake on the list is so bush. I guess its button so it means nothing anyway

took a knee on knee the other day, never heard of any player who takes a knee on knee to come back quickly. he might be done for the season. What a waste of season. I hope i'm wrong, he's 18 years old already gone through a major shoulder surgery now a knee injury.

I hope you are wrong! :| Having to suffer another injury after his shoulder surgery is definitely concerning.

To make it sound like we made the wrong choice and that we should have drafted Ehlers or Nylander because they are healthy players. It's quite classless actually. Although those clowns don't actually have to guts to truly say it right now, down right pathetic.

no one wants jake to be hurt. We all want jake to be healthy and producing right now. Its alright to be concerned. Jake will have to play a major part in our future if we wamt to be competitive in the next 5 the years. If this is a major injury it will hurt his development (who knows how much).

UNDERSTAND WE ALL WANT THE SAME THING.

Edited by Gooseberries

Forsling is our #2 prospect according to him. He bases so much off the World Juniors, Domi #1...

he also forgot Bo Horvat is our prospect, unbelievable, so highly regarded at the draft, makes the Vancouver Canucks, and not even on any of his lists . an outright joke of a list. its make you wonder why he's no longer a gm or even an assistant, at any capacity.

going from Assistant to GM, to scout, now to broadcasting = career downgrading.

he also forgot Bo Horvat is our prospect, unbelievable, so highly regarded at the draft, makes the Vancouver Canucks, and not even on any of his lists . an outright joke of a list. its make you wonder why he's no longer a gm or even an assistant, at any capacity.

going from Assistant to GM, to scout, now to broadcasting = career downgrading.

maybe he doesn't consider bo a prospect anymore? You know because he made the roster... ever think of that?
  • Upvote 1

Lol at Christian Dvorak at no.7 overall.. I don't think I've ever taken Button seriously but now I think he's down right insane.

Nylander looks softer than I thought and I liked Virtanen way more than Ehlers at the draft.

I just hope this kid can get healthy enough to play a lengthy period of time, put up points and regain some prowess where he dominated the WHL.

Lol at Christian Dvorak at no.7 overall.. I don't think I've ever taken Button seriously but now I think he's down right insane.

Nylander looks softer than I thought and I liked Virtanen way more than Ehlers at the draft.

I just hope this kid can get healthy enough to play a lengthy period of time, put up points and regain some prowess where he dominated the WHL.

I think he basis a lot of these players soley on stats.

there is a reason why he no longer scouts, for obvious reasons, no one wants him on the scouting team.

I think he basis a lot of these players soley on stats.

there is a reason why he no longer scouts, for obvious reasons, no one wants him on the scouting team.

Isn't he the director of scouting for TSN? They introduce him as that everytime he is on, gloating and all..lol.

Hilarious he has Sanhiem 10th best NHL prospect, didn't even make the team though. Yet Forsling same age put's up 8 points in 7 games doesn't make his top 30. So much Logic it's scary.

Tell me more about how Sweden and Canada have the same defensive depth. Tell me more about how World Juniors scoring determines a players success.

Button's rankings are terrible but you can't compare Sanheim and Forsling because Sanheim is a lot better.

• Upvote 1

Hilarious he has Sanhiem 10th best NHL prospect, didn't even make the team though. Yet Forsling same age put's up 8 points in 7 games doesn't make his top 30. So much Logic it's scary.

Tell me more about how Sweden and Canada have the same defensive depth. Tell me more about how World Juniors scoring determines a players success.

Button's rankings are terrible but you can't compare Sanheim and Forsling because Sanheim is a lot better.

I said it a while back, when the Team Canada invitees to the WJC camp were announced, but I think very highly of Travis Sanheim.

I've seen him when watching some of Virtanen's games and I've been impressed each time I watched him. He skates well, is a big body (though not particularly physical), is very smart defensively, and works well on the point on the powerplay. In the offensive zone he is involved often and really does lead the backend for the Hitmen.

I don't think he will be an "elite" defenseman in the NHL, but he is skilled enough and smart enough to certainly become a top-4 defenseman. I think there's top-pairing potential but I don't want to get ahead of myself here. The Flyers are probably going to want him to become more physical given his good size (6'3) too.

PS: Craig Button's lists always contain big-time head-scratchers so don't take his word too seriously.

To be fair to Craig, I see him at international tournaments even ones that are pretty small like the World Junior A Challenge which is Canada West (BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, MJHL), USA (USHL), Canada East (CCHL, OJHL, MJHL Maritimes, QJHL, NOJHL), Russia and then usually 2 of Switzerland, Czech Republic, Sweden, Denmark. He's there doing reports, he's at the U17s, U18s, Ivan Hlinka, World Juniors. I don't know how often he actually goes to a Finnish game between TPS and Karpat or something like that to prospects, I don't think he goes often though.

Edited by Plum

Doesn't matter if Canadas defensive depth was better than Swedens. I doubt Sanheim would've topped Forslings offensive numbers, no matter what country he would've played for. No other defenseman were even close to Forslings numbers.

I would say he's got a point with Sanheim not making the team, even though he's eligible for next year as well. He's not a wonderchild. By no means is he the 10th best prospect outside the NHL. Nor is Domi the best, lol. In fact, there's no reason for him to rank Sanheim as high as he does. He's also ranking Sanheim above Nurse, like seriously? Interesting thing to point out, is that Button had Sanheim at 8th f'ing overall for the 2014 draft, in his last ranking prior to the draft. No other "expert" had him in that range, not even close in fact. It's just too obvious that Button's boner for Sanheim is way too big, and it's shining right through him. And Dvorak is getting carried offensively by Domi and Marner, so he makes the list at 7 over guys like Dal Colle and Larkin. A guy who barely went 2nd overall in last draft, ladies and gentlemen. Good job, Craig.

But yeah, Sanheim is obviously a better prospect than Forsling right now, and i obviously don't think Forsling should've made a top30 list.

• Upvote 1