The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I want him to learn a more cerebral game, but I guess he can do that playing bottom 6 mins in the NHL with a ittle 2nd unit PP time.

If he can get into some AHL games this year I think we will have a good idea of if he makes it or not next year.

• Upvote 1

I want him to learn a more cerebral game, but I guess he can do that playing bottom 6 mins in the NHL with a ittle 2nd unit PP time.

If he can get into some AHL games this year I think we will have a good idea of if he makes it or not next year.

getting sheltered mins and playing with Dorsett(one of the hardest working guys on the team) will do wonders for Jake. He will learn all the little things about the game, and what it takes to be an NHL pro. He should like you said be on the second PP unit

I think he makes the team next year. His speed is obvious above average and said to be better than most NHL'er. Add that with his physical presence and I believe he will be on the Canucks next year so he doesnt develop bad habits in junior. IE skating though everyone because he's to fast.

The scenario of him returning to juniors is ideal but watching the team (as a whole) and how they play, the best option may actually be bringing him up to learn/develop in Desjardins' system. It was different with Horvat, who you knew would go back to one of the best major junior programs in Dale Hunter's Knights.

Anyone think him and Dorsett on a line next year would be awesome ??

Dorsett is a UFA at the end of the year so it's not a guarantee that he will be back. I would love for him to resign with us. Like you've mentioned, and as he's doing with Bo, his 110% effort each and every shift sets an excellent example for the young guys. Not to mention he's not a bad player (shown he's got some hands) and can help on the PK and, if needed, on the PP (though that hasn't worked out well, which is more a reflection on the rest of the unit). And, of course, he is our toughest forward and you know he'll have your back out there.

I think he makes the team next year. His speed is obvious above average and said to be better than most NHL'er. Add that with his physical presence and I believe he will be on the Canucks next year so he doesnt develop bad habits in junior. IE skating though everyone because he's to fast.

Calling his speed "above average" seems like an understatement. Most scouting reports last year had him as one of the fastest skater in the entire draft.

Here is a quote from the resutls of pre-draft testing:

According to data released by Sport Testing, Virtanen had the highest overall grade from the on-ice testing, which was performed Tuesday, the day before the Top Prospects Game.

Among the highlights for Virtanen was his top time in the 30-meter forward sprint at 3.92 seconds, as well as the top time in the 30-meter backward sprint, 4.55 seconds.

Among the 40 high-end prospects at the Prospects Game last year he was the fastest skater (forward and backward). period.

That said, I think the odds are against him being on the Canucks next year. For one thing he is still young as he was one of the youngest players in the draft. (One month younger and he would have had to wait a year.) Second, he has a lot of things to tighten up in his game. He is not like Horvat. He is flashier, has a better shot, and is a better skater. But Horvat had a very mature game, even in junior -- very solid and consistent at both ends of the ice -- and that is what has allowed him to make the Canucks this year. Very few 19 year-olds make it to the NHL.

We have to wait and see, but unless a guy is dominant in Junior and prominent in the world juniors he is a real longshot to play in the NHL the following year. I agree that Virtanen is an excellent prospect but there is no harm in playing another year in Junior. In general, the extra playing time is valuable and with good coaching he should avoid the problem of developing "bad habits".

Edited by JamesB

Calling his speed "above average" seems like an understatement. Most scouting reports last year had him as one of the fastest skater in the entire draft.

Here is a quote from the resutls of pre-draft testing:

Among the 40 high-end prospects at the Prospects Game last year he was the fastest skater (forward and backward). period.

That said, I think the odds are against him being on the Canucks next year. For one thing he is still young as he was one of the youngest players in the draft. (One month younger and he would have had to wait a year.) Second, he has a lot of things to tighten up in his game. He is not like Horvat. He is flashier, has a better shot, and is a better skater. But Horvat had a very mature game, even in junior -- very solid and consistent at both ends of the ice -- and that is what has allowed him to make the Canucks this year. Very few 19 year-olds make it to the NHL.

We have to wait and see, but unless a guy is dominant in Junior and prominent in the world juniors he is a real longshot to play in the NHL the following year. I agree that Virtanen is an excellent prospect but there is no harm in playing another year in Junior. In general, the extra playing time is valuable and with good coaching he should avoid the problem of developing "bad habits".

Am I the only one who thinks the whole "one of the youngest" thing is a little overblown, at least relative to the whole draft process?

I don't disagree with you that there are still things he needs to work on but, personally, I think "age" is not as much of a factor as others may think.

Edited by Canucks1219