The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Interesting insight. At the beginning of the video when the runner came up and told Benning "I'll bring you whichever jersey you tell me to bring you" "We'll see what he does here, alright?" (Referring to the fact that NYI haven't picked yet). Interesting to see that Benning says "Virtanen" right away even though, at the time, Dal Colle was still a possible pick..

Love that behind the scene/insider stuff, but you can also see later in the video when Benning's back at the table talking with Linden about Virtanen, the guy next to them (who I believe is Eric Crawford) says, "it's pretty much going according to plan," about the draft order.

I wonder how many jerseys they had made. Benning seemed to have Virtanen set, but McCann's name on the back is interesting. I wonder if he was considered at 6? I'm honestly not sure how that kind of thing works where set names are put aside.

Some teams avoided this entirely, just having the draft year on the back, the Canucks seemed to have gone for the individual effort.

I wonder how many jerseys they had made. Benning seemed to have Virtanen set, but McCann's name on the back is interesting. I wonder if he was considered at 6? I'm honestly not sure how that kind of thing works where set names are put aside.

Some teams avoided this entirely, just having the draft year on the back, the Canucks seemed to have gone for the individual effort.

I believe I saw this on Oil Change, but what teams do is put a Velcro strip on the back of however many jerseys you need.

And then, they print out nameplates for a bunch of guys around the area where they pick.

Once one of them is picked, they stick a Velcro piece on the nameplate and then stick it onto the jersey.

Often wonder what would have happened if the Isles hadn't taken Dal Colle. Snow wanted Ho-Sang, and got Tampa to bite with the same deal at 28.

Who knows -- they may have 30 jerseys made up with names. Never know when a deal could present itself, and you end up with another higher pick or something and get someone you weren't expecting.

perhaps there was a potential trading down scenario he wanted to be prepared for?

Love that behind the scene/insider stuff, but you can also see later in the video when Benning's back at the table talking with Linden about Virtanen, the guy next to them (who I believe is Eric Crawford) says, "it's pretty much going according to plan," about the draft order.

:frantic::frantic::frantic: It's a conspiracy!!

Or "the plan" could just refer to the general consensus of scouting lists :P

I believe I saw this on Oil Change, but what teams do is put a Velcro strip on the back of however many jerseys you need.

And then, they print out nameplates for a bunch of guys around the area where they pick.

Once one of them is picked, they stick a Velcro piece on the nameplate and then stick it onto the jersey.

I heard that Nonis velcroed on 'WHITE' when it was originally 'PERRON.'

Lol. No I didn't. But it wouldn't surprise me.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with this one but Jake reminds me a lot of Booth in almost every way possible.

- They both have rather large bodies.

- They both generate many of their goals by driving to the net

- They're both shoot first players

- They have both been critiqued for being a little weak on their passing game

- They both have a very good shot

- They both tend to skate with their head down/towards the net in a power forward fashion

I just hope Virtanen's mentality is different. It could prove to be the difference.

In terms of style/athletic talent, maybe there are similarities.

But in terms of mental make up, Virtanen loves the physical side of the game and thrives on it. His internal motor is way better then Booth's motor and Virtanen actually uses what he has in the tool box.

If you're looking for a comparison, think more in line with Dustin Brown or Ryan Callahan with a better shot.

Burmistrov isn't a bust, he can play in the league he just chose not to.

Fully agree, he makes 10 times the money in the KHL that he would have made in the AHL and I believe he'll be back after this season - I believe he has one year left on his KHL deal.

What 20 year old isn't going to take 10 times more to play at home, where he's likely a lot more comfortable?

In terms of style/athletic talent, maybe there are similarities.

But in terms of mental make up, Virtanen loves the physical side of the game and thrives on it. His internal motor is way better then Booth's motor and Virtanen actually uses what he has in the tool box.

If you're looking for a comparison, think more in line with Dustin Brown or Ryan Callahan with a better shot.

He also wants to become a complete package, so the potential of a Jarome Iginla isn't out of reach.

• Upvote 1