The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I was at the last 2 home game for the Hitmen, Jakes play away from the puck is really amazing, I know hes one of the "mature" ones in the dub now given hes been drafted, but needless to say he had two really great games that I saw recently anyways, I think his play will translate very well into the NHL. Hes also a super tough son of a gun on the forecheck, I think this was a great pick by the Canucks last year. I wouldnt, at this point take Ehlers over him.

• Upvote 3

This thread is turning into the Bo Horvat thread of a year ago.

Correct.

The exact posts about the October lineup of the team not allowing room for Virtanen were posted in the Horvat thread this time last year.

Then there was this Canucksarmy guy going on and on about Horvat not being ready for 3-4 years and peaking as a 30-40pt guy... Wow.

Correct.

The exact posts about the October lineup of the team not allowing room for Virtanen were posted in the Horvat thread this time last year.

Then there was this Canucksarmy guy going on and on about Horvat not being ready for 3-4 years and peaking as a 30-40pt guy... Wow.

I think Jake will be a top 6 guy in the NHL and peak around 60-80 points with a solid +/-. Bo I think will be a 2-3C 30-50pt guy. Bo's skating isnt nearly as strong as Jakes,

Bo's skating isnt nearly as strong as Jakes,

To be fair, I feel a lot of players in the NHL don't have skating as strong as Jake's. He's naturally a very powerful, fast, and balanced skater. It's one of the things that makes him such an exciting prospect.

Oh, and he's a wrecking ball too, that can just deliver monster (clean) hits. Gotta say, I'm stoked about this kid.

To be fair, I feel a lot of players in the NHL don't have skating as strong as Jake's. He's naturally a very powerful, fast, and balanced skater. It's one of the things that makes him such an exciting prospect.

Oh, and he's a wrecking ball too, that can just deliver monster (clean) hits. Gotta say, I'm stoked about this kid.

Yeah me too, hes sure been exciting for the Hitmen the last couple seasons, gonna suck having him in the dome playing against us in the not to far off future!

This thread is turning into the Bo Horvat thread of a year ago.

I think given the success they have had with Bo on the 4th line this year, they will be far more inclined to give Virtanen the same shot. Just like Horvat, he has more pros than cons that will translate nicely to the NHL and can work on polishing parts of his game that will be exposed playing against men instead of boys.

Oh and also, Change is Coming.

I think the Horvat thread had a lot more people saying that he should be sent back to junior for another year, but after seeing what Bo has done this year people are a bit more open-minded about giving a young player a chance. Benning has said that he was pushing for Bo to make the team this year and it is likely that he'll be leaning on WD to let another rookie make the jump next year.

I was all for giving Bo the chance to make the jump from junior, because he had the intangibles of leadership, physical play, face-off ability and an excellent 2-way game. The knock on him was his skating and it became clear after the pre-season, that he could skate with the pros.

I'm also 100% in favor of giving Virtanen the same opportunity and the intangibles that may keep him around next year are his physical play, his excellent shot and his ridiculous speed. The knock on JV is his defensive play and positioning, but when you take into account his speed, he can bail himself out of bad situations. Barring injuries, the only things that I could see keeping him off the team next year is if Benning can't make room for him in the off-season, his defensive game isn't up to par during the pre-season, or Benning decides that he needs to take on a greater leadership role in the WHL and WJC.

Edited by canuckledraggin

I remain of the wish that Jake, who has citizenship by birthright in Europe (Denmark if I remember right) could play a pro year in Europe.

Someone, pretty sure Elvis, suggested there are transfer agreements where his CHL team would be owed a transfer fee is in the way. But if Jake were to make a reasonable salary, or the Canucks were willing to front part, I am sure there is a way?

He could play against men in a highly competitive league, possibly the SEL. Learn alternate playing styles. And living in Europe would be a GREAT experience for any 19 year old. How many kids do a gap year traveling before buckling at uni? Jake could make a couple hundred grand, and gain a better hockey experience.

Your bringing this up again? Not going to happen bro.

Playing for AIK definitely helped him on the offensive instincts side of things. He scored 17 goals in his first year pro. But like above, it's bringing those instincts to the game every day on a smaller ice surface that has definitely got him at a cross roads.

Jensen only just turned 22 I think so hes still very young. He is in a similar situation as Baertchi, but a lower draft pick and most people are saying Baertchi is a great move by Benning.

• Upvote 1

Baertschi has outproduced Jensen by a lot at every level.

Different type of forwards.

Baertschi is supposed to be a smaller guy who will put up points. A Mike Cammelleri or Patrick Kane style of player.

Jensen was drafted as a Loui Eriksson or Marian Hossa type player. Bring offense, but it's his strength and defensive awareness that's also strong.

29th pick compared to a 13th pick though.

Big difference.

2007 Draft Class

Overall - Name

#4 - Thomas Hickey (D)

#5 - Karl Alzner (D)

#10 - Keaton Ellerby (D)

#12 - Ryan McDonagh (D)

#15 - Alex Plante (D)

#18 - Ian Cole (D)

#23 - Jonathon Blum (D)

#27 Brendan Smith (D)

#28 Nick Petrecki (D)

#30 - Nick Ross (D)

#31 - TJ Brennan (D)

#33 - Taylor Ellington (D)

#34 - Josh Godfrey (D)

#35 - Tommy Cross (D)

#41 - Kevin Marshall (D)

#43 - PK Subban (D)

I was at the last 2 home game for the Hitmen, Jakes play away from the puck is really amazing, I know hes one of the "mature" ones in the dub now given hes been drafted, but needless to say he had two really great games that I saw recently anyways, I think his play will translate very well into the NHL. Hes also a super tough son of a gun on the forecheck, I think this was a great pick by the Canucks last year. I wouldnt, at this point take Ehlers over him.

How 'bout Bennett? ;)

Thanks, m8.