The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

How accurate is his shot? He can obviously rip it but can he become a sniper where he can score from anywhere on the ice?

His shot is the absolute least of our worries. Hes deadly on the fore hand and back hand. He can score from anywhere but he needs to keep his head up more when hes along the boards.

So... Ehlers scored 4 more goals, but with almost 50% more icetime?

Yeah... just shows you the people hating on Virtanen are imbeciles... This guy was rated 1st or 2nd in every category in terms of pure athleticism. 1st in physical play and 2nd in skating. 1st or 2nd in shooting.... It might be a blessing he wasnt able to participate in the combine.

Hes a home town boy, and seems like a good guy and people are complaining still. Ehlers will be a good player but I think Virtanen will be more valuable.

Hes one of the youngest guys in the draft as well. I think hes going to be at minimum, a 2nd line power forward with speed.

More important is even strength stats. Despite Ehlers playing roughly 8:20 minutes more per night Virtanen had 3 more even strength goals and only 8 less even strength assists. Oh yeah and Virtanen is 6 months younger and was playing half the season with a bad shoulder. Enough of these comparisons to Ehlers. Virtanen was the better pick.

• Upvote 1

More important is even strength stats. Despite Ehlers playing roughly 8:20 minutes more per night Virtanen had 3 more even strength goals and only 8 less even strength assists. Oh yeah and Virtanen is 6 months younger and was playing half the season with a bad shoulder. Enough of these comparisons to Ehlers. Virtanen was the better pick.

I don't want to discredit what Ehlers accomplished... but he also had an offensive juggernaut in Jonathan Drouin on his team. I don't know if they were linemates but I'd assume they were.

EDIT: As for the bolded part, we will just have to wait and see.

Edited by Canucks1219

Lol so he is the best goal scorer in this draft. Good to know.

id say so, if you multiply minutes by games played

virtanen at 71games 17.8 minutes = 1263min

ehlers at 63 games 26minutes = 1638min

so virtanen played 8more games than ehlers but virtanen still played 375minutes (23%) less than him according to that data.

if you look at the whole package of virtanen's year from his late birthday(almost 2015 eligible), shoulder injury, second pp unit and less than average icetime and linemates for a topend pick and it starts to paint a picture of a player that could have a lot more to give than what he has shown so far and he has shown a lot which is exciting to think about.

I don't want to discredit what Ehlers accomplished... but he also had an offensive juggernaut in Jonathan Drouin on his team. I don't know if they were linemates but I'd assume they were.

EDIT: As for the bolded part, we will just have to wait and see.

I meant he is the better pick based on the information available at the time of the draft. He may not necessarily the better player.

Out of: Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen and Fox I would be extremely happy if two of them turned into top 6 forwards. I would think the odds are better of that not happening than it happening.

I think it is realistic that out of

Horvat virtanen, shinkarurk, Mcann, Kassian, Jensen, gaunce, fox, Cassels that 4 of them become really solid top 6 guys, but I suspect we will get 5

These are all really good pickups and the Canucks have their own farm te and more resources now, I think with one elite centerman we would have the best forward prospect pool in the league

Horvat virtanen, shinkarurk, Mcann, Kassian, Jensen, gaunce, fox, Cassels that 4 of them become really solid top 6 guys, but I suspect we will get 5

These are all really good pickups and the Canucks have their own farm te and more resources now, I think with one elite centerman we would have the best forward prospect pool in the league

I like your enthusiasm and at times I feel that most of them will turn out to be players for us. However, realistically maybe 3 players will end up playing for the Canucks on a regular basis. I really do want 4-5 of them to make it though.

Just so people know, Hockeysfuture still has us ranked 27th for prospects, and has our top 5 as Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, and Corrado....

They also still have goaltending depth as our weakness, and list key losses as Dalpe, Anthony, and Polasek. :lol:

That goes to show how up to date they are.

Our top 5 would now be Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Demko, and McCann. Goaltending is definitely not a weakness, and even our D has been improved with the additions of Tryamkin and Forsling. Still needs some work in the D department though.

I would say the Canucks are easily in the top 15, if not top 10 now.

We have an abundance of 6th-8th defensemen, maybe a couple who could be 4th or 5th guys, but in terms of young, elite D-men, we are leaving.

We are very deep in goalie prospects (of an organisation had 2 of Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson and Demko they'd be pretty deep).

I don't think we have a 1C prospect, but Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Virtanen, McCann, Jensen and Fox should cover the majority of our top 9 going forward. As in Gaunce, Lain and Cassels and we look like we'll have depth at centre.

Two top 10 picks this year and I'd say we are set (so long as we get a to pair defenseman and a 1C). UFAs and trades can give us the rest of the pieces we need.

Overall, of we're 27th, them the league is going to be insanely good in the near future.

That's a real stretch. We have good depth at forward but we still need to add elite talent. It's possible that one of our last 6 first rounders could become a first line and perhaps another could develop into a second line forward. Cassels and Fox would be considered success if they manage to play 100 games in the NHL each, I have no expectations for those two to make the top 6.

Look at how weak his QoT is compared to the Ehlers. His production is impressive given his QoT.

Keep in mind, that QoT calculation uses ice time not production. So it says he played with 2nd liners on his team but you have to also realize that a second liner on the Hitmen is like a 4th liner on a lot of CHL teams. They flat out sucked. It's not often that you can pin a team making the playoffs on one guy, but with Calgary Virtanen was that guy.

The internal motor disappeared post-concussion.

Post-concussion or post big pay day?

My guess is Booth is one of those, "I play well in contract years" type. Once he got the big deal he was never the same. I honestly don't think he's that into hockey.

Virtanen on the other hand...being a Canuck is all Virtanen has ever wanted to be.

Post-concussion or post big pay day?

My guess is Booth is one of those, "I play well in contract years" type. Once he got the big deal he was never the same. I honestly don't think he's that into hockey.

Virtanen on the other hand...being a Canuck is all Virtanen has ever wanted to be.

You going to change your sig to "Jake Taken!"?