The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Wasn't there a Horvat = Kesler thread a few days back? Do we really have to compare all our prospects to Ryan? When is someone gonna make "Hunter Shinkaruk, the new Ryan Kesler" thread?

Thatcher Demko reminds me of Kesler big time.

But bo is probably most comparable to kesler but i believe bo will be a lot better.

I also hear McCann is very similar to kesler

If I made a list of possible comparisons, this one would be at the bottom. It would be reasonable to compare Horvat, McCann, or Cassels to Kesler. There are at least some similarities in each case. But Virtanen and Kesler are very, very different.

First, Kesler is a center and Virtanen is a winner, so they have different roles on the ice.

But more significantly, the strength of Kesler's game has always been defence. As a young guy he did not have a great shot, and was not regarded as a major offensive talent. But he was a defensive star, playing PK, shutdown and taking key faceoffs (kind of like Horvat).

Virtanen's game is offense. He needs to improve his defence. Also, his personality seems very different. He is a hard hitter rather than being a trash-talking agitator like Kesler.

• Upvote 2

If I made a list of possible comparisons, this one would be at the bottom. It would be reasonable to compare Horvat, McCann, or Cassels to Kesler. There are at least some similarities in each case. But Virtanen and Kesler are very, very different.

First, Kesler is a center and Virtanen is a winner, so they have different roles on the ice.

But more significantly, the strength of Kesler's game has always been defence. As a young guy he did not have a great shot, and was not regarded as a major offensive talent. But he was a defensive star, playing PK, shutdown and taking key faceoffs (kind of like Horvat).

Virtanen's game is offense. He needs to improve his defence. Also, his personality seems very different. He is a hard hitter rather than being a trash-talking agitator like Kesler.

I like how you called Virtanen a winner instead of a winger lol

• Upvote 1

Out of our prospects I'd say McCann is the closest to Kesler.

In some ways Kesler and Virtanen are similar. Great skaters, shooters (vs playmakers), physical, and good size. But overall their styles are quite different.

I would say Virtanen's comparable is a pre-concussion David Booth. Eerily similar in terms of size, skating, shot, and overall style of play. Like Booth, I think coaching will play a big part in whether Virtanen is successful, as will injuries (moreso than a typical offensive player due to the way he plays).

Edited by canucklehead44