The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanen would not have the same points per 60 if he played more minutes - it would be lower

How in the hell can you say that with any degree of certainty? To me, logic leads me to assume that if he plays more he will score more and I'd say that would hold true for just about anybody in hockey. Even god dam Biz Nasty will improve on his abysmal numbers if he played 15 minutes per night, it's just bound to happen. The odd second assist, lucky bounce in front of the net, etc...

How in the hell can you say that with any degree of certainty? To me, logic leads me to assume that if he plays more he will score more and I'd say that would hold true for just about anybody in hockey. Even god dam Biz Nasty will improve on his abysmal numbers if he played 15 minutes per night, it's just bound to happen. The odd second assist, lucky bounce in front of the net, etc...

His points per 60 would most certainly go down. It's just not something you can sustain. Put him in some more versatile roles, put him on the pk, give him more defensive zone starts. Even fatigue could contribute to it.

His points per 60 would most certainly go down. It's just not something you can sustain. Put him in some more versatile roles, put him on the pk, give him more defensive zone starts. Even fatigue could contribute to it.

Dammit I didn't read that as his points per 60. I read that as point production. My bad.

hey man im not doing anything wrong. Just worrying and providing my reason for doing so. You should calm the hell down and stop being hostile.

Far from hostile. Think more along the lines of *face palm* and *belly laugh*.

Most teams don't base decisions just on training camp. Training camp is the last step, what you did prior is far more important. What Jake is on pace to do this season is weak based on what is expected out of a 6th overall pick and even what his peers are doing. Add to that this team is deep on the wing and the chances of him making the team are nill.

The Canucks planned on going in with Henrik, Bonino, Richardson and Vey as the 4 centermen. Horvat didn't make the team based on what he was going to be doing this season, Horvat made the team because he was just good enough and was a good investment moving forward. There is a massive 15 year age gap between Henrik Sedin and Horvat, the guy who you believe is going to be a core player for you going forward. Having him be in the NHL now, even though they only expected him to be playing at replacement level, means he can acclimate faster and in turn potentially become the player he is projected to be faster, which means life after the Sedin contracts expire is not going to be as painful. His 2-way acumen and attention to detail also helps in terms of winning over any coach.

Horvat only registered 7 points in his first 34 games and 3 of them came from riding off Hansen's hat trick. That investment paid off when injuries hampered this team and he began to produce for us as his confidence grew over time and was given a bigger role. Note how well Horvat did in his final year of juniors. Most London fans said he was as good as gone while our pathetic media labelled him as 3rd line center of the future and most of CDC did not expect him to last more than 9 games. Virtanen is NOWHERE as dominant as Horvat was last season and we have a lot more youth on the wing (Kassian, Jensen, Baertschi, Shinkaruk) competing for spots/bigger roles than Horvat did this year (only Vey lol). Look at what McCann has done this season and what he has been asked to do for his team and then look at what Virtanen has been asked to do and what he has done.

Never said he'd make the team - I would prefer and expect he'll be in junior again next year - but your med school analogy was flawed by not allowing for an "in the moment" assessment, which is what training camps provide to NHL teams. Certainly what you've done matters however not nearly as much as you are suggesting. Basically if Jake kills it at next camp AND there is a spot, he'll make the team regardless of what you or I think his 2014-15 season was like.

Trade him for a high pick this year, pick up Marner or Barzal.

Big difference between Marner and Barzal. Marner will likely go top 6 while Barzal is probably in the 8-12 range. You could probably trade Jake for a pick in that range (though I personally wouldn't) but there's no way you'll get a top 6 pick for him in this year's draft.

Will he be in Utica for the playoffs? On a PTO since kootney or kamloops will be the teams coming out of the dub into the memorial cup. What about McCann or cassels will either of them be on a PTO ? Eerie, Oshawa or SSO will be the champs in the OHL so either one of cassells or McCann in Utica in a month or 2?