The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

There's a lot of extreme back and forth going on here after much of the original comments were reasonably middle of the road. I think the pro-Jake crowd has been a too harsh on a number of the people pointing out flaws or being cautious about his game.

Virtanen is doing well, but to say we would be happy if his offence didn't translate as expected to the NHL level and all we were left with was a big body with speed. That's not good enough for the highest pick we've had in a long, long time and are likely to get for awhile. There's certainly no reason to be throwing out the 'bust' tag but it's absolutely reasonable to be concerned over consistency in production in his draft +1 year in the very least, and also to understand how other prospects drafted around him are achieving and doing pretty well in large part.

I'm not even going to say something as strong as I'm worried since it's so early on, but I'm also not going to say I wouldn't like to be seeing more from what will likely be our highest draft pick we get during this retool.

No one's arguing that he doesn't have a lot of good skills, but what we are saying is we'd like to see a little more from him considering where he was picked.

That's rich, coming from you who is all but guaranteeing Virts makes the team next year. He's just saying Virtanen is an asset that would be asked for by other teams if we wanted to move up and get a quality player in this draft.

And he's right, on that and also that we likely won't be getting Barzal with where we sit in the draft order currently. Maybe we drop in the standings and he drops in the rankings so that we can meet somewhere in the middle, but it's not very likely at this point.

I expect Jake to pan out to a 2nd line player at least.

He is already better then David Booth, who is a similar player but Jake has a better shot already and much more truculence.

Booth scored over 30 goals one season before injuries/concussion issues.

I see Jake as much more consistent and a solid 25 goal scorer year after year.

His skill set will translate to the NHL way better than any of the other picks available when we grabbed him, (Nylander, Ehlers, etc.).

Guest Dasein

So your telling me if a player with jakes offensive abilities plays 3 more minutes a night, his points per game wont increase?? How does that not make sense, unless I'm missing something here

No, of course his PPG will increase, but we're talking about Points Per 60 Minutes

So that's the thing you're missing here

"Overrated" doesn't mean that he's all offense - he may not be the best shutdown in junior but he's still pretty damn good

And so what if Virtanen plays less than 17 minutes a game? Do realize that higher TOI doesn't guarantee higher PPG

Well I see in other posts you say points per 60. But the post that I quoted you on and to which I am referring to. You say PPG. And I'm saying that it is going to increase, so you must have just made an error in writing PPG. Sounds good all cleared up

I guess but then on the other side of things he has big games when hes on. This means if he didnt sscore in 40 percent of games the his 45 pts were scored in 25 games or so he was on the sheet.

Yeah, that's why I said I hope the Canucks are patient with him. He has all the tools to be great, just needs time to put it together.

Does anyone see a little Evander Kane in Jake? Big, tall, not afraid to hit. I've also heard from some friends who play in the WHL that he's a total PoS on the ice, and has a bit of a pompous demeanor.

Edit: which is very Ekane-esqe. (Not saying he has a bad attitude, just that he has a bit of cockiness to him)

Edited by HowYaDrouin

Does anyone see a little Evander Kane in Jake? Big, tall, not afraid to hit. I've also heard from some friends who play in the WHL that he's a total PoS on the ice, and has a bit of a pompous demeanor.

Edit: which is very Ekane-esqe. (Not saying he has a bad attitude, just that he has a bit of cockiness to him)

Those characteristics are similar but they are very different players. Kane is big but he isn't compact big like Virtanen is. I remember seeing him at Cactus Club in the summer and he's actually not as big as I thought he was. Virtanen, like Horvat, is a bull and is built like a truck.

When it comes to their playing styles, I don't see that many similarities when it comes to that either. They both have good shots, yes, but the way they use their skills is alot different. Kane uses his frame to lean on you, he's also isn't the greatest stick handler. Virtanen likes to hold on to the puck, has decent playmaking ability that I think Kane does not have. Kane has a better nose for the net in my opinion.

Edited by junglesniper

Good. You're not there to make friends. I also saw a little bit of that in him when he was playing. Played nasty and the way he carried himself was very confident. That's a good thing though. Off the ice he's completely different from Kane though. You can just tell from all the stuff we've seen from him.

• Upvote 2

Guest Dasein

Well I see in other posts you say points per 60. But the post that I quoted you on and to which I am referring to. You say PPG. And I'm saying that it is going to increase, so you must have just made an error in writing PPG. Sounds good all cleared up

Yeah I just saw my mistake - my bad

what?

Whhhoooooooooooooosh!

I agree with theminister, Jake needs another year in junior. Despite his scoring ability, he's being used in an odd sort of shutdown role where he's getting fewer minutes than guys like Tambellini and Rankin (previously Brassart and Chase). Hopefully with more minutes and responsibility he can really show what he's got. As it is, it's frustrating to see him put in his current role, even if the Hitmen are winning.