The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Well, this will either prove my IQ is above average or it will prove how low yours is. Your sentence of "unless you prove us otherwise." is about as poorly written as it could possibly be. I will rephrase that so you understand. The sentence you wrote is prove of poorly otherwise could be. Again, don't troll above your IQ level, you will be made to look the fool.

This message sent from on high, while Brick stands on the superstar owner of multiple high horses... <- wait for it.... there it is...

So you basically manipulated what I had wrote and used it against me. I see you have a mastery of the english language :P . You failed to grasp my comment. We're talking about IQ, not english lit. Btw, english isn't my first language, so I can use that for my case.

ITS 80% OKAY

Yeah Kassian was like him as an 18 year old too and he hasn't seemed to change very much but let's hope Jake is different, having one of those types of players is hard enough, two just wouldn't work. If they both learn how to control their anger we will have one nasty forward core.

80% of what

• Upvote 1

Obviously the Hitmen's coach was in agreement with everyone not named Brick in this thread because he was subsequently benched for the next 4 minutes after he served his time. Standing up for a teammate is when they get ridden into the boards awkwardly, or cheap shotted, or hit up high, etc, it isn't however when a Red Deer player puts a very pedestrian cross-check on your teammate as he plays the puck. That happens so often in the NHL that you wouldn't even notice it, however, what you would notice is a player (Jake) placing that other player in a head lock for no particular reason. He wasn't standing up for his teammates, it was a undisciplined play, and one that will quickly get him sent back to junior next year if he doesn't smarten up.

It's this type of play that moreso exemplifies the lack of hockey IQ which "scouts" put on him last year.

Not saying he doesn't have a good hockey IQ, but it's these unnecessarily undisciplined plays which makes me understand why he wasn't perhaps ranked higher, and why his icetime seems to be decreased from last year. If you can't trust a player, regardless of their skills (which Jake has in spades), you dont play them. Pretty simple concept.

This is very interesting. I partially different outlook on Jake's up and down year.

This actually explains a lot.

It just comes down to the mentality: If the coach doesn't trust him ~> he doesn't play ~> points are down ~> tries to do everything ~> if he fails ~> takes out his frustration ~> bad penalties ~> benching.

It doesn't help that he's in an environment where his strengths aren't being utilized but no one wants a high maintenance player. It is almost like the whole Chicken before the Egg scenario where Jake needs to buy in before getting an opportunity, much like Kassian needed to do here with the big club.

I see some stifling similarities in Kassian and Virtanen's demeanour towards the game, and as someone mentioned above, hopefully he learns a lot quicker than Zack.

What's clearly missing here is the lack of leadership on the Hitmen.

He's got loads of skill, don't worry about him being undisciplined.

Central scouting had this to say about Raffi Torres in his draft year "Raffi is a disciplined, hard forechecker with offensive touch."

Torres was later drafted 5th overall and will go down as one of the least disciplined players in the league.

Point is, his discipline in this WHL may not be reflective of his discipline in the NHL

Or he will quickly be in Desjardins dog house. Thats the only reason i think he doesnt make the team next year.

lul. We're running out of reasons, aren't we?

We have to remember that this past game was a bit rougher because the teams have some history. The last meeting between the teams featured 6 roughing calls, two unsportsmanlikes, three high-sticks, two crosschecks and a fight, and none of those 'dumb penalties' even featured Virtanen. Red Deer won that one, but Calgary out-shot them by quite a bit. This time Calgary won. Both were pretty rough games.

To me the biggest Hitmen game of the season so far was the recent game vs Draisaitl and the Rockets. In that one Virtanen was a dominating physical presense, while collecting a goal, an assist and zero penalties. He won't score every game (who will?), but he will be a big game player. Draisaitl, meanwhile, stupidly ran the goaltender and was booted out of the game. Coach mad? Probably. lul

^ It is by no means the guarantee you make it sound that he makes the team next year. There are question about what the situation will be like with the Hitmen if he returns there, but that shouldn't be the decider if he sticks with the Canucks or not.

Or he will quickly be in Desjardins dog house. Thats the only reason i think he doesnt make the team next year.

Or he won't be mentally ready, or he won't find it as easy doing what he does against NHL'ers, or he'll just have a poor camp, or, or, or...

^ It is by no means the guarantee you make it sound that he makes the team next year. There are question about what the situation will be like with the Hitmen if he returns there, but that shouldn't be the decider if he sticks with the Canucks or not.

Or he won't be mentally ready, or he won't find it as easy doing what he does against NHL'ers, or he'll just have a poor camp, or, or, or...

He may not make the team next year and that's entirely up what Benning decides is best for his development. I totally understand that, but I don't think a lot of people here do, as they enjoy statwatching and extrapolating one game to an entire career. The worst part of him not making it would be that the haters will go on hating for another year. Oh well, at least there is the affirmation that they are clueless.

He may not make the team next year and that's entirely up what Benning decides is best for his development. I totally understand that, but I don't think a lot of people here do, as they enjoy statwatching and extrapolating one game to an entire career. The worst part of him not making it would be that the haters will go on hating for another year. Oh well, at least there is the affirmation that they are clueless.

Haha I thought he was a lock to make it next year? lul.

I seriously doubt he'll be on the team. He needs to control his play, and develop maturity. Like Horvat, though, the best place would be the AHL, sadly.

• Upvote 2

I seriously doubt he'll be on the team. He needs to control his play, and develop maturity. Like Horvat, though, the best place would be the AHL, sadly.

i was just thinking...

What if the nhl skipped the draft one year. After that year they move the draft age requirement to one year older. That way prospects either spend 1 more year in jr or some are eligible to make the jump to the ahl right away.

Also would be ideal if they did they did this during an expansion year. The expansion draft would replace that entry draft.

Just food for thought.

Yup, I remember something along the lines of "he's for sure on the team next year" from you, Ban.

What's that? People make outlandish statements they don't really believe are true on the internet?

EDIT: and jdatb, I totally got your point regardless of how it was worded that many people wished Horvat was AHL-eligible in case he didn't make the NHL team.

Edited by elvis15

Yup, I remember something along the lines of "he's for sure on the team next year" from you, Ban.

What's that? People make outlandish statements they don't really believe are true on the internet?

There's no reason for him not to be, considering he's got all the abilities needed, he needs to start learning how to play against NHLers, and another year in junior would be close to useless, but I'm not running the team. Benning is. He's confident in Jake. So is Linden, who said he was an absolute no-brainer pick. I think they know what they're doing. So I guess let them do it.

lul Horvat belongs in the AHL!

Good God get a clue. He's done nothing but prove he's an NHLer since day one. And if you think he's good, wait till you get a load of Virtanen.

i was just thinking...

What if the nhl skipped the draft one year. After that year they move the draft age requirement to one year older. That way prospects either spend 1 more year in jr or some are eligible to make the jump to the ahl right away.

Also would be ideal if they did they did this during an expansion year. The expansion draft would replace that entry draft.

Just food for thought.

That would be considered illegal under Canadian employment law.

Adulthood and full citizenship begins at 18 years old whereby a person has the freedom to pursue employment without restriction, assuming it does not involve alcohol.

Kenny Lineman challenged the previous law in 1978 that restricted him from signing a pro contract and it was deemed illegal. That's why players like Joe Hicketts can sign a contract at 19 years old with the Red Wings regardless of not being drafted.

The NHL could choose to take that approach, that would be their business prerogative, but then the top 18 year olds would be free to sign professional contracts with whomever they chose and the NHL member clubs would not be willing to pass up those claims.

That would be considered illegal under Canadian employment law.

Adulthood and full citizenship begins at 18 years old whereby a person has the freedom to pursue employment without restriction, assuming it does not involve alcohol.

Kenny Lineman challenged the previous law in 1978 that restricted him from signing a pro contract and it was deemed illegal. That's why players like Joe Hicketts can sign a contract at 19 years old with the Red Wings regardless of not being drafted.

The NHL could choose to take that approach, that would be their business prerogative, but then the top 18 year olds would be free to sign professional contracts with whomever they chose and the NHL member clubs would not be willing to pass up those claims.

ah. Well when you put it that way It makes sense.

So why cant nfl teams just sign any college kid of age then?