The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

ah. Well when you put it that way It makes sense.

So why cant nfl teams just sign any college kid of age then?

It's a mutual agreement between organizations, not law (the NFL-NCAA and the NHL-NCAA).

Legally they can but it would be breaking a deal that has been put in place to protect college players from being predatorily signed. It's meant to ensure they complete their education. I'm not a big fan of it but if the agreement fell apart it would be contract war. Kids would be dropping out of school, become ineligible for the NCAA and never finish their education. Most of them would never see anything higher than a practice squad because the NFL doesn't have a minors program.

It's a mutual agreement between organizations, not law (the NFL-NCAA and the NHL-NCAA).

Legally they can but it would be breaking a deal that has been put in place to protect college players from being predatorily signed. It's meant to ensure they complete their education. I'm not a big fan of it but if the agreement fell apart it would be contract war. Kids would be dropping out of school, become ineligible for the NCAA and never finish their education. Most of them would never see anything higher than a practice squad because the NFL doesn't have a minors program.

are you a lawyer? How do you know this stuff?

lul Horvat belongs in the AHL!

Good God get a clue. He's done nothing but prove he's an NHLer since day one. And if you think he's good, wait till you get a load of Virtanen.

Whoops, maybe that was worded badly. Obviously Horvat has shown he belongs in the NHL. However, the vast majority of people I know thought the ideal step would be for him to spend a year in the AHL. He's proven that he can handle the big league. I doubt Virtanen would have his level of success next year, especially since he will still be quite young still.

lul.

are you a lawyer? How do you know this stuff?

No, I'm not. Many years of being a sports nerd.

It's just basic info I've picked up along the way. If you want to understand it better I suggest researching the Linesman case. It was a watershed decision in the Pro-Amateur sports dynamic.

Edited by theminister

ITS 80% OKAY

Yeah Kassian was like him as an 18 year old too and he hasn't seemed to change very much but let's hope Jake is different, having one of those types of players is hard enough, two just wouldn't work. If they both learn how to control their anger we will have one nasty forward core.

watching all the comments in response to the "80%"...maybe I'm wrong, but is that not very obviously a joke?

Whoops, maybe that was worded badly. Obviously Horvat has shown he belongs in the NHL. However, the vast majority of people I know thought the ideal step would be for him to spend a year in the AHL. He's proven that he can handle the big league. I doubt Virtanen would have his level of success next year, especially since he will still be quite young still.

lul.

Horvat is 19 and made it. Virtanen will be 19 when training camp rolls around. Virtanens getting his 10 games at the bare minimum. After that it's on the coaching staff.

lul.

Horvat is 19 and made it. Virtanen will be 19 when training camp rolls around. Virtanens getting his 10 games at the bare minimum. After that it's on the coaching staff.

Yeah I thought it was obvious.

I thought it was pretty funny. I chuckled seeing people try to figure out what you meant. I used to tell people I had an IQ similar to a cucumber, while a little self deprecating, it would confuse them significantly ;)

• Upvote 1

There's no reason for him not to be, considering he's got all the abilities needed, he needs to start learning how to play against NHLers, and another year in junior would be close to useless, but I'm not running the team. Benning is. He's confident in Jake. So is Linden, who said he was an absolute no-brainer pick. I think they know what they're doing. So I guess let them do it.

There's plenty of reasons for him not to be, I listed a few in my post previous to the one you replied to.

If he's not ready then forcing him into the NHL would be bad. That would be worse than a "useless" year in junior.

And it doesn't matter how confident Benning and Linden are in him, they haven't said he deserves to be in the NHL next year regardless of how he performs. What they have said is they want to make sure that opportunity is open for him if he does show he's ready. Being open to the option is letting them do their job, not twisting that into saying he's 1000% making the NHL next year.

No guarantee of that at all.

First of all, 10 games would burn a year of his deal, so I think you mean 9 games. Even then, if they don't feel he's ready then they'll have to send him back before the season starts unless they've found a way to make roster moves. Otherwise, they'll have almost all players on the roster already who require waivers. Which of them would you like to send down just so Virtanen can play 9 games?

Edited by elvis15

Which of them would you like to send down just so Virtanen can play 9 games?

To be fair, it's quite likely SOMEONE will have an ailment of some sort that would allow them to view him for a few games if they deem him worthy of an extended look past camp.