The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

To be fair, it's quite likely SOMEONE will have an ailment of some sort that would allow them to view him for a few games if they deem him worthy of an extended look past camp.

It's possible someone has an injury either coming into camp, or as a result of camp and it opens a spot. What's also possible is we still have too many players who deserve a look over Virtanen and he goes down anyway. It's certainly not guaranteed he gets 9 games regardless.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in the offseason to make space, and if they find a deal on anyone else that could take his spot.

No guarantee of that at all.

First of all, 10 games would burn a year of his deal, so I think you mean 9 games. Even then, if they don't feel he's ready then they'll have to send him back before the season starts unless they've found a way to make roster moves. Otherwise, they'll have almost all players on the roster already who require waivers. Which of them would you like to send down just so Virtanen can play 9 games?

Benning sounds so confident whenever he speaks of Virtanen. He has basically already said that Virtanen will get every opportunity to stay up with Van. Of course Virtanen will have to play well, and I think he will.

Imo Virtanen getting his 9 games with the big club is a sure thing. His skill set is too intriguing.

• Upvote 1

Benning sounds so confident whenever he speaks of Virtanen. He has basically already said that Virtanen will get every opportunity to stay up with Van. Of course Virtanen will have to play well, and I think he will.

Imo Virtanen getting his 9 games with the big club is a sure thing. His skill set is too intriguing.

So again, who would you risk losing on waivers just so he can play in 9 games before going back to junior if we don't make enough spots for him? Or if we do make trades and let people go, who is expendable enough to make sure we have room for Virtanen's tryout while still making room for the other players that will be newly waiver eligible next year?

That's why it'll have to be very close for him making the team to actually get to see NHL regular season games. If he's not that close they'll send him to junior at the end of preseason.

Edited by elvis15

So again, who would you risk losing on waivers just so he can play in 9 games before going back to junior if we don't make enough spots for him? Or if we do make trades and let people go, who is expendable enough to make sure we have room for Virtanen's tryout while still making room for the other players that will be newly waiver eligible next year?

Only time will tell. But if I had to choose from our current line-up... Vey.

• Upvote 3

That's why it'll have to be very close for him making the team to actually get to see NHL regular season games. If he's not that close they'll send him to junior at the end of preseason.

I would move Higgins, but JB says he's a "glue" guy. Let one of Richi or Dorsett walk. But again we don't know how much JB and Willie want those guys. Tanev and Mathias need new contracts. So that may also make us move guys around for cap reasons. One of Lack or Markstorm may be traded too.

Lots of variables, but it's not hard to get Virtanen in the lineup if he's up for it.

Higgins, Bonino, Richardson would be the 3 guys I get rid of next year. Replace em with Baerstchi, Virtanen, Gaunce.

Edited by Jiggs50

I would move Higgins, but JB says he's a "glue" guy. Let one of Richi or Dorsett walk. But again we don't know how much JB and Willie want those guys. Tanev and Mathias need new contracts. So that may also make us move guys around for cap reasons. One of Lack or Markstorm may be traded too.

Lots of variables, but it's not hard to get Virtanen in the lineup if he's up for it.

Higgins, Bonino, Richardson would be the 3 guys I get rid of next year. Replace em with Baerstchi, Virtanen, Gaunce.

agreed but if we get rid of bonino we still need a second line center who would you bring in

baerchi, virtanen and gaunce should be on team next yr shinkaruk will also push for a spot

jensen, vey, higgins, hansen, bonino tanev need to be traded for an elite center and draft picks etcetc

baerchi sedin vrbata

sedin couturier shinkaruk

kenins horvat virtanen

gaunce mattias kass. bash line

burrows

crazy forward depth

I am excited with this prospect but a lot of crazies actually think he can crack the team? HIs puck distribution and puck possesion needs to improve on top of that his 200 foot game. Jim benning suggesting he will make the team next year is kinda crazy, of course every prospect should be given a chance to play in the NHL at some point.

He will be sent as as usual if he fails to make it. Next year Calgary overagers have all moved on, Virtannen will be getting 1st line minutes if not they should ship him off to a team that will give it to him. How bout Tyler Benson for Virtannen? that be awesome.

I am excited with this prospect but a lot of crazies actually think he can crack the team? HIs puck distribution and puck possesion needs to improve on top of that his 200 foot game. Jim benning suggesting he will make the team next year is kinda crazy, of course every prospect should be given a chance to play in the NHL at some point.

Ken Holland suggests that kinda thing about his prospects as well, he said something similar about Anthony Mantha last year.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter

Only time will tell. But if I had to choose from our current line-up... Vey.

So that opens up one spot. We have to add Baertschi and Corrado as our newly waiver eligible players (Clendening will be too, but he's already in the lineup), so you're half way to just getting them in the lineup.

In the forwards we'll need one spot for Baertschi, and then another just to give Virtanen 9 games. They're both lefties, so Higgins makes sense, but then you're dropping two centers in Bonino and Richardson. We'd have Matthias, Horvat and Vey still as centers (Gaunce would at best be a 4th line center if anything) so that'd be a big ask for one of them to step up to that role. Then, there's the question of what happens if Virts doesn't stick and then who fills in for him from there.

I'm not saying they're terrible suggestions (at least you have some!) but it's a big gamble to move proven players - particularly top 6 - to give a prospect a 9 game audition.

None of which has anything to do with Virtanen's timeline for entry into the NHL.

In fact, if you are watching the trends, the acquisition of Baertschi might suggest that the club doesn't see it as likely that Jake makes the team out of camp. The numbers do not work in his favour.

My personal opinion is that JB would rather have JV as an available call-up in two seasons while using Jensen in that role next year. I think they will want JV to play another year in junior and at the WJC followed by at least 30-40 games in the AHL. The only likelihood that could change is if we feel we need him. Our current roster doesn't suggest that.

There will be gradual change but deciding there is an implicit cryptography in JB's statements is nothing but personal speculation. There have been more statements to the contrary about training camp etc. than any implying he is slated to make the team. Until there is something solid from the GM it's just wishful thinking.

Honestly, you don't have any idea. But what I've noticed from Benning so far is that he's a straight shooter. He said he was going to perform trades like the Baertschi trade and that's what he did. Same thing said by him just before the Clendenning trade. So when he says something about Virtanen, why would he mean something else? Because of lineup concerns based on the now? Before the draft and free agency? Okay. How about wait and see, and the odd time support Benning's draft choice. He's looking very good.
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, you don't have any idea. But what I've noticed from Benning so far is that he's a straight shooter. He said he was going to perform trades like the Baertschi trade and that's what he did. Same thing said by him just before the Clendenning trade. So when he says something about Virtanen, why would he mean something else? Because of lineup concerns based on the now? Before the draft and free agency? Okay. How about wait and see, and the odd time support Benning's draft choice. He's looking very good.

Complete derpage. Nice way to try and twist it around. My position has always been to be patient with the kid and let it play out rather than put expectations on him before the time is due.

Benning hasn't said anything about Virtanen making the team next year or that's what you would be quoting. Instead it is simply that he'll be fun to watch. I'm not the one reading something into the statement that isn't there. I'm leaving it up in the air to be decided later rather than making any assumptions, which is what anyone is doing who says that he'll be on the team next year with impunity despite the lack of a firm commitment from the GM. Anything else is putting words in his mouth.

I'm completely supportive of the draft choice and have only ever said, "wait and see." What do you think my comments to you meant?

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 3

redraft who are you taking between larkin and virtanen? forget depth charts just straight up who you think is better

Larkin for me. I think if the draft was done today he would jump up to #5 pushing MDC back. He looks like a pretty special player.

Virtanen's season thus far (shoulder injury + strong WJC tournament) would probably see him going around the 10 -13 spot. You'd have to think Pasternak and Larkin would jump over him, with Ehlers, Nylander.. maybe even Fiala and DeAngelo pushing up as well.

This is all under the pre tense that the draft was completed today.. and how players are judged on what they've done up to that moment.