The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Remember when he trolled all of Team USA? Man, that was sweet. The kid is a beauty.

I dont think he trolled them. They tried to troll him and he just responded by destroying them in the corners, reverse hitting them, and attempting to pull a powerforward glove punch (Lucic, Bertuzzi, and Kassian would be proud) on Hayden in a scrum. Awesome

Larkin for me. I think if the draft was done today he would jump up to #5 pushing MDC back. He looks like a pretty special player.

Virtanen's season thus far (shoulder injury + strong WJC tournament) would probably see him going around the 10 -13 spot. You'd have to think Pasternak and Larkin would jump over him, with Ehlers, Nylander.. maybe even Fiala and DeAngelo pushing up as well.

This is all under the pre tense that the draft was completed today.. and how players are judged on what they've done up to that moment.

I don't know about all of those players bumping jake. Larkin has had a great draft+1 year but other than that it's still to soon to pass judgement IMO. Jake's jr numbers aren't what many posters had hoped for from him this year but I don't think his projected ceiling is any different than it was last June. We still have a tantalizing prospect on our hands here. Not saying guys like Nylander aren't great talents but I still like the pick.

I don't know about all of those players bumping jake. Larkin has had a great draft+1 year but other than that it's still to soon to pass judgement IMO. Jake's jr numbers aren't what many posters had hoped for from him this year but I don't think his projected ceiling is any different than it was last June. We still have a tantalizing prospect on our hands here. Not saying guys like Nylander aren't great talents but I still like the pick.

I like the pick still as well.. Jake has a dynamic skill-set that should translate very well to the NHL. It also filled a hole in Vancouver's depth chart. It was, and still is, a good selection.

Larkin is simply having a fantastic season as an 18 year old in the NCAA. Another 4 points last night (1 g 3 a) in the first game of the Big10 tournament. He looks like a player who can be a #1 centre in the NHL.

You're right about the other players being borderline to pass Virtanen (minus Pasternak). They have had better draft+1 years than Jake, but time will tell who turns out to be the better players.

Edited by Devoted

I like the pick still as well.. Jake has a dynamic skill-set that should translate very well to the NHL. It also filled a hole in Vancouver's depth chart. It was, and still is, a good selection.

Larkin is simply having a fantastic season as an 18 year old in the NCAA. Another 4 points last night (1 g 3 a) in the first game of the Big10 tournament. He looks like a player who can be a #1 centre in the NHL.

You're right about the other players being borderline to pass Virtanen (minus Pasternak). They have had better draft+1 years than Jake, but time will tell who turns out to be the better players.

Even Pastrnak...he's sublimely gifted offensively but I prefer jake's heavy game. IMO the list of things jake brings to the table that pastrnak doesn't is longer than the list of things pastrnak does that jake doesn't. Speaking of heavy, at least we didn't take Ritchie. Edited by Wild Sean Monahan

Canuck's physical game has disappeared once again. Granted that Columbus team was BIG. Canucks desperately need a big forward who hits and the same on the backend. IMHO the Canucks are built for regular season play, not CUP play.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Poll+position+Coaches+players+cast+votes+best+Eastern+Conference/10905355/story.html

Got voted for best player, and best drafted player and won for best shot

Apparently point > jake

edit: and most irritating.

That's misleading, making it sound like he led those categories. He was actually:

• 7th with 6 votes in the best player category
  • 1st with 56 votes in the best shot category
  • 9th (tied) with 10 votes in the most irritating player category
  • 3rd with 21 votes in the best drafted player category
  • Upvote 3

Funny how there wasn't a question for best skater. Wonder where' he'd rank there

I was expecting that category myself. And there is a good chance Virtanen would have come first. I still find it disappointing that with his skills (great shot, great skating, very good size and strength, high intensity) he does not do better on the scoreboard.

His numbers aren't bad but, for a #6 overall pick, are not great either. With his skills, size, and toughness he seems like a lock to be at least a decent NHL player. But it is far from obvious he will develop into a high-end scorer.

I was expecting that category myself. And there is a good chance Virtanen would have come first. I still find it disappointing that with his skills (great shot, great skating, very good size and strength, high intensity) he does not do better on the scoreboard.

His numbers aren't bad but, for a #6 overall pick, are not great either. With his skills, size, and toughness he seems like a lock to be at least a decent NHL player. But it is far from obvious he will develop into a high-end scorer.

when u play with $&!# players its really hard

• Upvote 1

Early in the season he was getting 3rd line minutes. Not sure if it's still that low. I think he's been using this year to round out his game defensively, but that's pure speculation on my part.

All I got from that list is PROVOROV. Best offensive D, best rookie, nominated in best defensive D. I'll be a happy man if we draft Provorov, Konecny, or Kylington.

As for Jake, there is no perceivable flaw to his game, it's just part time fans getting hung up on stats. Yet when he does score, they seem to shut up.

I'll take the fastest skater, hardest shot and most physical forward in the western league any day of the week. I don't care who's voting.