The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanens got enough skills to make and succeed in the nhl. His handles can only improve.

Yeah, I think he'll be a top 6 player in the NHL. His hands just aren't good. He's physical, has speed, good shot, creates space and is intimidating.

Lol no, you are using the term a bit too literal. Yes he uses his hands to shoot, but that's not what "nice hands" means.

A player uses his hands too fight, but you don't say John Scott has a nice hands......

How about when you hear analysts, gm's, etc talk about a player's hands in close? I don't think they're referring to his ability to dangle in front of the net.

He can stick handle at top speed, that's fine. But he doesn't have that good of hands, he's a straight-line player like Bob McKenzie said. Physical, skate well, shoots the puck hard. He has a great simple game, he doesn't have a lot of finesse to his game or creativity like Bob mentioned.

There's nothing wrong with that, Lucic doesn't have good hands either. Plenty of players don't, even Getzlaf isn't much of a good stick handler.

Yeah, I said that in a page back that he's a hard player to contain and creates space for other players with his big body.

Getzlaf has pretty good hands and stick handeling tbh, can make plays in super tight.

I think what Plum is getting at is he doesn't have elite hands and the ability to dangle guys like Ehlers, Drouin etc.

He's got hands more like Kassian and Evander Kane.

But with his size and speed and the type of game he plays he would have went 1st overall if he had hands like those guys.

It's actually quite ridiculous that I need to explain this.

A toe drag is an example of nice hands.

A backhand in close is an example of good hands.

The stuff that people argue about on here is ridiculous. He's a skilled player, stop trying to pick apart every little piece of his game.

So he uses his hands for his hard shot in close?

Using your hands in close would be dangling or being able to quickly move the puck somewhere to beat the goaltender. A tip or deflection or any other quick skill play involving his hands would also be considered "nice hands".

He has a nice shot, so we refer to that as him having "A nice shot".

It's actually quite ridiculous that I need to explain this.

Again, hands refers to a much wider array of things than you're admitting. IMO it's simply what the player can do with the puck on his stick, not exclusive to stickhandling. That includes the ability to finish in close which some players are definitely better at than others, generally players considered to have better hands.

A toe drag is an example of nice hands.

A backhand in close is an example of good hands.

The stuff that people argue about on here is ridiculous. He's a skilled player, stop trying to pick apart every little piece of his game.

I basically praised Virtanen in my original post and the one thing he isn't great at is his hands (and probably his hockey IQ although I don't think it's poor either).

Virtanen holding down first on the revised HF top twenty. I don't see how you don't have Horvat there myself, but still...

Vancouver Canucks Top 20 deep in blueline prospects

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/120871/vancouver-canucks-top-20-deep-in-blueline-prospects/

Some interesting insight into Kyle Pettit there as well.

I basically praised Virtanen in my original post and the one thing he isn't great at is his hands (and probably his hockey IQ although I don't think it's poor either).

not sure how hes got bad hands ive seen him deke out players coast to coast scoring hilight reel goals which requires skilled hands maybe your smoking really good reefer cuz your deluded

Virtanen holding down first on the revised HF top twenty. I don't see how you don't have Horvat there myself, but still...

Vancouver Canucks Top 20 deep in blueline prospects

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/120871/vancouver-canucks-top-20-deep-in-blueline-prospects/

Some interesting insight into Kyle Pettit there as well.

Strange title for that article, as the Canucks have some blueline prospects, but not one of them has a significant upside. The best, most-secure potential among them belongs to Clendening according to that article, and he was a Chicago throw-away. I guess the question is what happened to Hutton? I seem to recall a lot of hype being made about him here, and now it all seems like pure mythology. Now with every single one of our blueline prospects with a BIG question mark on them, it seems quite obvious that the Canucks need to add some bluechippers there.

Only time will tell. But if I had to choose from our current line-up... Vey.

Vey has only played slightly below expectations. He's shown to be a hot then cold player that is learning to using is skill and smarts to overcome his size disadvantage. He'll be damn good next season, quote me on it.

Strange title for that article, as the Canucks have some blueline prospects, but not one of them has a significant upside. The best, most-secure potential among them belongs to Clendening according to that article, and he was a Chicago throw-away. I guess the question is what happened to Hutton? I seem to recall a lot of hype being made about him here, and now it all seems like pure mythology. Now with every single one of our blueline prospects with a BIG question mark on them, it seems quite obvious that the Canucks need to add some bluechippers there.

I wish we had a second rounder this year to snag a Dman. Hopefully Benning picks up an early-mid 2nd on draft day.

Edit: Anyways back to Jake, I agree that he will have a tough time earning even a 9 game look, but if Benning is confident about him, then I feel I have no reason not to be. Maybe not next year for sure, but no matter what; the following year everyone better look out. Because the Virtanen train will be in town.

Edited by Webster6

Hutton will be good and they left off McNally who might be better as well as Sven B. (forward left off).