The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Queue the wheel of excuse. Will it be "working on defense", "terrible linemates", "lingering injury" or something different?

Experienced a slump in the last 9 games? $&!# happens, doesn't make or break a player's entire career. Try looking at everything involved rather than just a simple PPG stat and losing your head.

Experienced a slump in the last 9 games? crap happens, doesn't make or break a player's entire career. Try looking at everything involved rather than just a simple PPG stat and losing your head.

i do hope he bumps his slump soon. At this point there are a couple players I'd be more excited to have. Dont know who's going to be better in the nhl level obviously. Only time will tell. One thing is for sure, jake is struggling in at least 1 part of his game.
  • Upvote 3

i do hope he bumps his slump soon. At this point there are a couple players I'd be more excited to have. Dont know who's going to be better in the nhl level obviously. Only time will tell. One thing is for sure, jake is struggling in at least 1 part of his game.

Look I'm not gonna pretend this has been an ideal season for Jake, it obviously hasn't and I understand that it introduces some questions about how he is developing. That said, if you watch Jake's game he still shows many traits that look to translate well to the NHL. His deployment in Calgary has been horrendous this year though he hasn't helped himself with some extended scoring slumps in Feb and March. I remain a believer that Jake is a better player than his numbers show but he will need to show it next year where, as a draft+2 player, he should be given every chance to play big minutes and produce at an elite level. If he doesn't then I'll come around to your views I'm sure ...

• Upvote 1

He's obviously not playing up to expectations, there's no sugar coating it.

Does that mean this season will define him or guarantee he will be a bust? Absolutely not.

Baertschi and Shinkaruk both tore up the WHL and were well over a PPG. Did that guarantee them success at the next level?

Yes numbers are important, but they're not the be all and end all.

It's concerning how a young player in the juniors is not averaging a point per game. That's all and yes points do matter, your in the juniors and he is expected to be a top 6. I don't know this pick smells more of a Chris Krieder then a Perry or Nash.

Yeah hes being compared to Krieder, but with a better shot and a bit more robust. Im ok with that.

Look I'm not gonna pretend this has been an ideal season for Jake, it obviously hasn't and I understand that it introduces some questions about how he is developing. That said, if you watch Jake's game he still shows many traits that look to translate well to the NHL. His deployment in Calgary has been horrendous this year though he hasn't helped himself with some extended scoring slumps in Feb and March. I remain a believer that Jake is a better player than his numbers show but he will need to show it next year where, as a draft+2 player, he should be given every chance to play big minutes and produce at an elite level. If he doesn't then I'll come around to your views I'm sure ...

This is exactly why I can't for the life of me understand why people are saying he's gonna be a Canuck next season. He's quite a ways away... and that's not a bad thing, he just needs time to develop like most other prospects.

• Upvote 1

It's concerning how a young player in the juniors is not averaging a point per game. That's all and yes points do matter, your in the juniors and he is expected to be a top 6. I don't know this pick smells more of a Chris Krieder then a Perry or Nash.

Ya he was never expected to reach Perry or Nash's heights, any discussion of those two players was purely stylistic (Perry= agitating, Nash=low assists). Kreider and Kane have always been the relevant comparables and I'd be stoked if Jake reached their level (though hopefully he can reach it a bit faster than Kreider). Edited by uselessstats

Ya he was never expected to reach Perry or Nash's heights, any discussion of those two players was purely stylistic (Perry= agitating, Nash=low assists). Kreider and Kane have always been the relevant comparables and I'd be stoked if Jake reached their level (though hopefully a bit faster than Kreider).

Kreider is really fast.

fair enough. Do you watch alot of hitmen games? Be honest.

sigh... a little dissapointed with the way his season ended, to be honest, 6th overall pick, I honestly expected more. I am not labeling him a bust, I wanted him from day 1, got into fights with other Canucks defended my arguement non stop, I will keep my word still, but cmon lets be honest, I personally expected more points for him, as he is now 18 years old.

Hope his development continues.

Guest Dasein

sigh... a little dissapointed with the way his season ended, to be honest, 6th overall pick, I honestly expected more. I am not labeling him a bust, I wanted him from day 1, got into fights with other Canucks defended my arguement non stop, I will keep my word still, but cmon lets be honest, I personally expected more points for him, as he is now 18 years old.

Hope his development continues.

Well Jake's real season should start on Friday.. Does Bo get drafted 9th overall in 2013 if only the regular season counts? Hold your disappointment until there's no more hockey to be played

Jake was disappointing last year's WHL playoffs, but he did have the shoulder injury, so I'm pretty excited to see what he will be able to do this year

Edited by Dasein