The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

It really doesn't make any sense. When I watched him play he was a beast. He is literally a man playing among boys. He should have put up more points this year. Just doesn't make any sense. He did look kind of bored when I watched him so that could be a reason, maybe he's just not into it.

I'm still pretty damn sure he's going to be on the Canucks next year. He is so physically mature he will definitely be able to handle it. A whole summer of being healthy and being able to work out will do wonders for him as well. I don't think shocked is the right word to use if he doesn't make the Canucks next year, but I will be slightly surprised. Not upset though, cause if he needs more time in Junior then that's what he needs. I trust the Canucks' decisions over my own perceptions.

Edited by Nas19

Guest Dasein

It really doesn't make any sense. When I watched him play he was a beast. He is literally a man playing among boys. He should have put up more points this year. Just doesn't make any sense. He did look kind of bored when I watched him so that could be a reason, maybe he's just not into it.

I'm still pretty damn sure he's going to be on the Canucks next year. He is so physically mature he will definitely be able to handle it. A whole summer of being healthy and being able to work out will do wonders for him as well. I don't think shocked is the right word to use if he doesn't make the Canucks next year, but I will be slightly surprised. Not upset though, cause if he needs more time in Junior then that's what he needs. I trust the Canucks' decisions over my own perceptions.

If he's physically ready, what makes you think being even more physically ready will put him over the edge?

Everyone knows Jake is physically capable. What most are questioning when it comes to Jake making the Canucks in 2015-16 is his two-way game and consistency - the latter is something you pointed out in your first paragraph

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

fair enough. Do you watch alot of hitmen games? Be honest.

Nope, don't catch the games but I follow Jake as closely as I can through Hitmen fans and Canuck fans who do. I've seen all of his full-shift highlights that a poster here and HF have posted, as well as his entire WJCs. Enough to get a good feel for how he plays and what I think will work at the next level.

How bout you? Catch a lot of Hitmen games?

His points per game totals were almost identical to last years' so I don't think you can say it's been a horrible season statistically.

He made the U-20 team as a very young 18 year old and put up point per game numbers again and he was coming off of shoulder surgery this year. Maybe he has a big playoff yet, who knows.

I want to see what he does in a full healthy season next year.

Nope, don't catch the games but I follow Jake as closely as I can through Hitmen fans and Canuck fans who do. I've seen all of his full-shift highlights that a poster here and HF have posted, as well as his entire WJCs. Enough to get a good feel for how he plays and what I think will work at the next level.

How bout you? Catch a lot of Hitmen games?

cant say that i do. Im in Ontario.

cant say that i do. Im in Ontario.

Fair nuff, I only suggest people who have only checked out his PPG keep an open mind about his game and not assume it predicts Jake as a low skill 3rd line grinder. He may take some time and his transition may not be as easy as Horvat's but I believe he'll develop into a very valuable 25-30 goal scoring pain-in-the-ass winger in a few years. His skill set is that good but his role in Calgary has been limited by a coach intent on playing overagers over Jake. He'll open some eyes next year (IMO).

Fair nuff, I only suggest people who have only checked out his PPG keep an open mind about his game and not assume it predicts Jake as a low skill 3rd line grinder. He may take some time and his transition may not be as easy as Horvat's but I believe he'll develop into a very valuable 25-30 goal scoring pain-in-the-ass winger in a few years. His skill set is that good but his role in Calgary has been limited by a coach intent on playing overagers over Jake. He'll open some eyes next year (IMO).

thats good to hear. I dont lay any predictions as i haven't had the opportunity to watch him often other than the wjc. I hope he turns out to what you predict or even better. I think its crucial that this pick works out because i dont plan on performing that poorly for a long long time.

So when i voice my concerns about jake, its not that i dont wamt him to do well. i just feel that we have alot riding on him and expect alot from him.

Lol no, you are using the term a bit too literal. Yes he uses his hands to shoot, but that's not what "nice hands" means.

A player uses his hands too fight, but you don't say John Scott has a nice hands......

I agree. When I hear the term nice hands I think of dangles. If someone has a nice quick release then you say he has a nice shot, not nice hands.

• Upvote 1

thats good to hear. I dont lay any predictions as i haven't had the opportunity to watch him often other than the wjc. I hope he turns out to what you predict or even better. I think its crucial that this pick works out because i dont plan on performing that poorly for a long long time.

So when i voice my concerns about jake, its not that i dont wamt him to do well. i just feel that we have alot riding on him and expect alot from him.

Forget it, we're coming undone for Chychrun next season. ;)

Seriously though, there will be other toys for Benning to play with. Drafting and prospect development did not end at the 2014 draft.

• Upvote 1

I get that and have high hopes for Virtanen myself, hence my interest in understanding his role in Calgary and how it may be impacting his underlying numbers.

Here's a post from another site shared by a Hitmen fan (Denominator) who drops by from time to time. Gives really great insight into Jake's strengths and weaknesses and how that plays into how he is used by the coach.

Regarding the discussion on Virtanen playing with Tambellini/Rankin or "scrubs" - it is game dependent.

Virtanen plays on the top line with Tambellini and Rankin when the Hitmen are playing a team with 2 solid defence pairs.

Virtanen plays on the second line with (combination of Lang/Fazleev/Karnaukhov/Sanheim/Stallard/Peterson) when the Hitmen are playing a team with only 1 solid defence pairing.

Opposition teams play the Hitmen with the mindset that whatever line Tambellini is on is the top line, so they match their top d-pair against him. If there is no depth on defence, the coach moves Virtanen to the second line so that he's matched against weaker defencemen that he can burn on the rush. If there isn't a significant drop-off to the second pair, he plays on the top line with Tambellini and Rankin and goes against the top pairing.

You can make the argument either way - this coaching is either hampering or helping Virtanen. I think it's hampering him in the long term as he never plays with the same linemates.

The season ended yesterday and even though they're not fantastic numbers, Virtanen had a decent season. He put up 52 points (21G, 31A) in 50 games, going +15 and adding 82 PIMs (all minors - no fights this season despite being a "pest"). It was a very similar season to the 13-14 season (71P in 71GP) so while it's not a big step forward, it certainly wasn't a step backward.

I'm not going to get into comparing Virtanen to Ehlers or Nylander (since I don't ever see them play), but if I were a Canucks fan I'd be very happy that they went with Virtanen over Haydn Fleury.

I'll drop back in here with playoff updates as necessary.

• Upvote 1

You can't blame a coach for wanting to win games, and the fact that the Hitmen were dominant down the stretch shows that at least he knows how to do that. On the other hand, we don't care what the Hitmen do as a franchise in the end, we want what's best for Virtanen.

I've only been able to watch him in the Super Series and at the World Juniors. He improved mightily from the SSS to the WJC and after that I thought he was going to light the Dub on fire.

That didn't happen and while I'm very excited for what he brings, I was a little disappointed, especially with his goal scoring. In the end, I still think he is our best prospect, the things he does are amazing, it just kind of confuses me how he just doesn't dominate.

I get that and have high hopes for Virtanen myself, hence my interest in understanding his role in Calgary and how it may be impacting his underlying numbers.

Here's a post from another site shared by a Hitmen fan (Denominator) who drops by from time to time. Gives really great insight into Jake's strengths and weaknesses and how that plays into how he is used by the coach.

thanks for that. Its refreshing hearing that he didnt take a step back from someone who watches games. We've heard the cliche many times "hes working on his defense". Schroeder worked his defense so far off the canucks. Jensen isnt far behind.

At first glance it seems that Jake took a step back this season, but if an avid follower of Jake says that then im good to go! I hope ges a staple in our top 9 for years to come.