The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Also, don't desiboy and Z Kassian kinda fall in that school of thought? That's the impression I get.

Depends what you consider a bust. I think he'll easily play 100+ games in the nhl. But I believe he's going to be a fringe 2 liner and mostly a 3rd liner. So for me, with the 6th pick I consider that a bad pick.

When I watch him play I think of a bigger, more physical, less falling mason raymond.

• Upvote 1

Depends what you consider a bust. I think he'll easily play 100+ games in the nhl. But I believe he's going to be a fringe 2 liner and mostly a 3rd liner. So for me, with the 6th pick I consider that a bad pick.

When I watch him play I think of a bigger, more physical, less falling mason raymond.

Add in a much better shot/release and you would have a pretty good player. Don't forget Raymond was a half decent player before his injury (legit 2nd liner) so if you take that and make it stronger, meaner, and a better shooter I don't believe you would have a fringe second/third liner. You'd have a very good 2nd liner with upside to play on a top line. Don't forget 25 goals is top line production these days.

he's fridging up to 8 pim's, although Medicine Hate didn't score on those powerplays, is has given them enough momentum to make it 5-4 for crying out loud.

I will be surprised if he's not scratched next game win or lose. Kids a loose canon. I can't imagine him doing much better with the Vancouver Canucks.

He should be benched... Hmmm

While not bashing Virtanen overall, the struggles he had in the first two games of the series were not simply a couple of isolated incidents. He had played quite poorly in the last couple weeks of the season (http://whl.ca/roster/gamebygame/id/26161/ls_season/249). Virtanen has a tendency to light it up for two weeks, fall asleep for a week, rinse and repeat.

The concern, for me, is not whether Virtanen has the tools to play well in the NHL, but whether he can do so on a consistent basis. One reason to believe that he can be more consistent is that he seems to be shuffled around the lineup and thus never really establishing an 'identity' on the team. It is hard to be consistent when your role is always changing.

Doesnt have the consistency to be in the NHL... Should I keep going? Edited by messier's_elbow

Concern about horvat? We were worried his 74 pts in 54gms would translate to above a 3rd liner.

Now virtanen with 52 pts in 50 gms.

The concern is not even comparable. Bo was a playoff stud and defensively responsible. If jake doesn't turn around in the whl next year with 1.5ppg then I can't see him as anything more than a 3rd liner like kreider. You need to put up more points in the whl to put up points in the nhl. Not stat watching... just basic math

This post is clueless...

Here's an interesting take on the kid. I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with it but it would explain a lot of the shortcomings he's had as a player. If it is the case I think playing in juniors next year would be the worst thing for him. It will just feed this poor mentality of his and cause even more frustration. I think more than anything the kid needs to be humbled by being mentored and controlled by veteran players who can guide him in that aspect.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=100428137&postcount=209

Then there's this post which will live forever in infamy.
  • Upvote 1

Doesnt have the consistency to be in the NHL... Should I keep going?

I have been one of the biggest Virtanen supporters on here and you quote me as saying that Virtanen is a bust? Lol.

You completely misrepresented my post to try and prove your own point, which is why you are one of the biggest morons in the prospects forum. I would rather have homers or trolls than a guy who is so desperate to be right that he is willing to falsify other people's opinion. Not once did I say that he doesn't have the consistency to be in the NHL, but if you think that Virtanen has been consistent this season, you've obviously paid no attention.

I run a thread that has followed all prospects for the entire season. I update it at least once a week, which gives me a pretty good sense of which players are consistent, and which players run hot.

Jake is clearly a guy who runs hot/cold, whereas a guy like Cassels rarely goes more than two games without a point.

Just because someone criticizes a player does not mean that they are calling that player a bust. Get a grip.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 1

I have been one of the biggest Virtanen supporters on here and you quote me as saying that Virtanen is a bust? Lol.

You completely misrepresented my post to try and prove your own point, which is why you are one of the biggest morons in the prospects forum. I would rather have homers or trolls than a guy who is so desperate to be right that he is willing to falsify other people's opinion. Not once did I say that he doesn't have the consistency to be in the NHL, but if you think that Virtanen has been consistent this season, you've obviously paid no attention.

I run a thread that has followed all prospects for the entire season. I update it at least once a week, which gives me a pretty good sense of which players are consistent, and which players run hot.

Jake is clearly a guy who runs hot/cold, whereas a guy like Cassels rarely goes more than two games without a point.

Just because someone criticizes a player does not mean that they are calling that player a bust. Get a grip.

Not saying your calling him a bust but after he has one or two mediocre games the sky seems to fall. It's called patience.... I remember when people called Kesler and the Sedins busts or they wouldn't never live up to their 1 round billing.

Calling me a moron really hurts my feelings by the way. Lol

Edited by messier's_elbow

Not saying your calling him a bust but after he has one or two mediocre games the sky seems to fall. It's called patience.... I remember when people called Kesler and the Sedins busts or they wouldn't never live up to their 1 round billing.

From my understanding, you were asked to provide examples of posters calling Virt a bust, and you used me as an example.

You also quoted my post as an example of someone who didn't think Virtanen had the consistency to make the NHL, which I didn't say at all.

The post you quoted was also showing that Virtanen hadn't had just one or two mediocre games. The post was to show that over the last week and a half of the season + the playoffs, Virtanen had struggled to collect points.

I don't care whether it hurts your feelings or not. You're being a moron so I called you one.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 4

From my understanding, you were asked to provide examples of posters calling Virt a bust, and you used me as an example.

You also quoted my post as an example of someone who didn't think Virtanen had the consistency to make the NHL, which I didn't say at all.

The post you quoted was also showing that Virtanen hadn't had just one or two mediocre games. The post was to show that over the last week and a half of the season + the playoffs, Virtanen had struggled to collect points.

I don't care whether it hurts your feelings or not. You're being a moron so I called you one.

Well hows he doing in the playoffs now? You can call me whatever you want since your safe behind your keyboard lol

here's game 4
had a great 1st period
had a lot of rush going wide. did well on pp
okay 2nd period other than his penalty shot at 5:48
there's a interview with Virtanen during intermission at 8:31 im sure you all should be interested in!
13:33 showed his great burst of speed
18:04 showing coast to coast rush
not really good at counting but thought he was 12W 6L on the dot
he was much more involved in the D zone very deep where u'd normally see him above/near the blue line as a winger
  • Upvote 1