The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

If you don't think he was impressive at the World Juniors then I don't know. In a 19 year old tournament Virtanen did very well. He showed flashes of brilliance and was extremely physical. Remember he only had just turned 18 late in the summer. Usually guys don't play in this tournament until they're 19. He played up and down the lineup and was on the 1st line for moments. For an 18 year old that is very impressive. Was he perfect? No, far from it. But he still played very well and showed that he has a lot of potential.

To say that he didn't play well in the World Juniors is ridiculous. I seriously cannot see how you could say that he didn't play well. 18 year old in a 19 year old tournament against the world's best at that age group and you think he didn't play well cause he wasn't on the 1st or 2nd line all tournament. What the frack.

Glad some of you guys aren't in charge of our scouting department. My god what a mess it would be. Not saying I would do better, probably would do poorly, but christ. Couldn't identify talent or potential if you watched 100 games of the guy. Jesus.

Edited by Nas19

Move Horvat to second line center and drop Bonino to the third line. Horvat has been our best forward to date and would love to see what he would do with more talented wingers:

Sedins with Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Baertschi

Higgins Bonino Mathias

Hansen Richardson Dorsett.

This lineup would be very effective in this serious. Sedin line gets a sniper, Horvat and Baertschi would be a nightmare for flames D, 4th line would forecheck like a mofo!

We could use Virtanen so badly

This. Ferland would be dead and buried by now, and with him the tenacity of the Lames....

Because he would do something to Ferland? :huh:

Can we please call up JV to run ferland through the boards

I guess that answers that question... <_<

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 2

Move Horvat to second line center and drop Bonino to the third line. Horvat has been our best forward to date and would love to see what he would do with more talented wingers:

Sedins with Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Baertschi

Higgins Bonino Mathias

Hansen Richardson Dorsett.

This lineup would be very effective in this serious. Sedin line gets a sniper, Horvat and Baertschi would be a nightmare for flames D, 4th line would forecheck like a mofo!

As much as that seems like a good idea?

Its not the time to be reinventing all our lines. Bump the ice time of Kenins / Horvat / Hansen if you think Horvat has been a positive.

Maybe we'll see a line up of Baetschi / Horvat / Virtanen in 2016 or 17?

Guest Dasein

Its not the time to be reinventing all our lines. Bump the ice time of Kenins / Horvat / Hansen if you think Horvat has been a positive.

Ah I see you beat me to it :P

Disagreed - part of Horvat's success is due to his physical and speedy wingers like Hansen and Kenins who wreak havoc on forechecks and turn pucks over

You are really underselling Hansen here and overselling Horvat, as if Horvat is the sole reason that line is really going and that Horvat is being "dragged down" by the quality of his linemates. Hansen has arguably been our best RW this series, so really, I beg to differ. It's the chemistry and hard work of all three working as a unit that has been effective

I would not break up that "4th line" to "promote" Horvat - it's been our most productive. If anything, I'd give them more ice time as a unit

This. Horvat's been great but Hansen's the guy leading that line and their chemistry is fantastic. I wonder what impact the Baer recall has on it? Does Kenins come out?

Disagreed - part of Horvat's success is due to his physical and speedy wingers like Hansen and Kenins who wreak havoc on forechecks and turn pucks over

You are really underselling Hansen here and overselling Horvat, as if Horvat is the sole reason that line is really going and that Horvat is being "dragged down" by the quality of his linemates. Hansen has arguably been our best RW this series, so really, I beg to differ. It's the chemistry and hard work of all three working as a unit that has been effective

I would not break up that "4th line" to "promote" Horvat - it's been our most productive. If anything, I'd give them more ice time as a unit

What? More ice for the Horvat line? What about the Sedins?

Needless to say you are bang on about this line. They can over power d-men on the boards but they can also score off the rush which is huge in my book. North-south or east-west it all works for them. Again your Hanson comment was bang on. One has to ask what that line will do next fall if still together.

Hanson was strong thru most of the season but Horvat did not shift gears until the All-Star game. Add

Kenins for a full season and what do you get? Truly they along with Lack are the real bright spots of

the season.

• Upvote 1

This... +1

Agreed. The 4th line is a prime example of what goes right when you have the correct personnel playing in the correct positions in the appropriate spots in the line-up.

Now, the unfortunate situation with Burr allows RV to play where he was always meant to play. Hopefully that will lead to some success.

To get back on topic. It will be very insteresting to see what JV brings to the series with Brandon starting Friday. If he truly is an elite talent and one of the top prospects in the CHL, you would like to see him elevate his game even further to rise to the occasion as all truly great players do.

Note: He already has.

I know he's played better as the playoffs have moved forward. But all great players have more when the stakes get higher. I'm looking forward to JV raising his game even further in the conference finals and perhaps beyond.

I know he's played better as the playoffs have moved forward. But all great players have more when the stakes get higher. I'm looking forward to JV raising his game even further in the conference finals and perhaps beyond.

Virtanen and Tamby look like they have finally gelled together, they were dominating game 5.