The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Not Jake but a player with his skillset who 23 years old. Jake is still a teenager and he will be exactly what this team needs. However he wont be that player till next year or when he's turned 20.

Sure that's just your opinion. I think he could easily become that player next year

Why not? They are in the conference finals, they must be doing something right.

Well nothing in particular, I'm just surprised they're getting so far while playing sloppily in my opinion.

I like Jake so far though, he's able to really get under the other team's skin and able to make hits out of nothing.

The latest reports I've seen are that he has really focused on working on his defensive play to be solid enough to crack the NHL on a full time basis next year. I really believe he is ready to make the Canucks and be a regular. On which line who knows but I would be surprised if he doesn't make the Canucks when they lack everything he brings. Speed,size, and grit.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Virtanen-Bonino-Burrows

Dorsett-Vey-Hansen

Extra McMillan since he can play center if necessary. Kenins minors.

D

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado

Stanton-Clendenning

Lack

Markstrom

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Upvote 1

If he has solidified his defensive zone play from what I have seen has come a long way virtanen has a chance to make it in a 3rd to 4th line capacity 10 to 12 mins a game like Horvat this year.

Simply because he has the size and speed that can add something to our line up other than scoring. We dont need virt to be a top scorer immediately. We have the ability to give him sheltered minutes in situational play to round out his pro game and let the scoring develop over time much like bo this year.

Disagreed - part of Horvat's success is due to his physical and speedy wingers like Hansen and Kenins who wreak havoc on forechecks and turn pucks over

You are really underselling Hansen here and overselling Horvat, as if Horvat is the sole reason that line is really going and that Horvat is being "dragged down" by the quality of his linemates. Hansen has arguably been our best RW this series, so really, I beg to differ. It's the chemistry and hard work of all three working as a unit that has been effective

I would not break up that "4th line" to "promote" Horvat - it's been our most productive. If anything, I'd give them more ice time as a unit

I agree and disagree. Certainly part of Horvats success has been because he has good line mates who have played well, theres no denying that. They also both complement his defensive game very nicely. That being said Horvat has displayed fantastic vision and offensive hockey IQ and he could set up some nice chances for real snipers, like Vrbata, and subsequently produce a lot of offense for us, if he was on a higher line. All in all I see the pros and cons of both uping his current lines TOI or promoting him to a higher line, and I'd be cool with either approach.

Edited by Kesheniel

If he has solidified his defensive zone play from what I have seen has come a long way virtanen has a chance to make it in a 3rd to 4th line capacity 10 to 12 mins a game like Horvat this year.

Simply because he has the size and speed that can add something to our line up other than scoring. We dont need virt to be a top scorer immediately. We have the ability to give him sheltered minutes in situational play to round out his pro game and let the scoring develop over time much like bo this year.

I agree. I think he's be really good on a line with Hansen next year. Both speedsters with grit that can crash the net. He can sharpen his defensive play with Hansen showing him the way, and then hopefully he'll slowly add in more offense along the way like Horvat did after Christmas. I don't expect a Calder-like performance, but I do expect a Kenins-like contribution. Maybe he should/could play like/with Kenins on a line. Horvat down the middle could really cause havoc around the net.

If we're doing day dream next year rosters with Virtanen (unlikely IMO), frankly we'd need to move Mr. playoff no show Vrbata IMO.

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Virtanen

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Higgins, Richie/Guance/UFA etc, Dorsett

Vey as spare, Kenins as first bottom 6 call up, Shink as top 6 call up.

If top 6 is over Virtanen's head a bit, Burr can shift up to 2nd RW (or first, moving Kassian to 2nd), Hansen to 3rd LW and Virt to 3rd RW.

Without Vrbata, we wouldn't even be in the playoffs...

Also, Virtanen will be in the juniors next year. He still has a lot of developing to do.

• Upvote 2

The latest reports I've seen are that he has really focused on working on his defensive play to be solid enough to crack the NHL on a full time basis next year. I really believe he is ready to make the Canucks and be a regular. On which line who knows but I would be surprised if he doesn't make the Canucks when they lack everything he brings. Speed,size, and grit.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Virtanen-Bonino-Burrows

Dorsett-Vey-Hansen

Extra McMillan since he can play center if necessary. Kenins minors.

D

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado

Stanton-Clendenning

Lack

Markstrom

I like your lineup a lot but I would resign Richardsson when he is healthy and top of his game he is an excellent 3rd/4th line C and I would much rather have him than vey

I agree with letting go Higgins and Matthias

Without Vrbata, we wouldn't even be in the playoffs...

Also, Virtanen will be in the juniors next year. He still has a lot of developing to do.

Agree on both points but we were doing fantasy rosters. Virtanen would have to push one of Vrbata, Kassian, Hansen, Dorsett, Burrows (who plays both W's) an Vey (who plays C/RW). That's why I had "(unlikely IMO)" in my post. That all points to the likelihood that a still largely raw Virtanen will be back to Jr.

Don't disagree about Vrbata either but frankly I think we should move Vrbata at the deadline next year. Some team would play dearly for a 30 goal scorer and we'd get 3/4 of a season of him racking up goals/wins. He's never done much in the playoffs over his entire career.

Edited by J.R.

I'm a Winnipeger so I decided to make the drive to Brandon for game 2 on Saturday night. Excited to watch Virtanen live for the first time.

Sorry to hear that :P but glad you get to take in a game live. Let us know how he did.

I agree and disagree. Certainly part of Horvats success has been because he has good line mates who have played well, theres no denying that. They also both complement his defensive game very nicely. That being said Horvat has displayed fantastic vision and offensive hockey IQ and he could set up some nice chances for real snipers, like Vrbata, and subsequently produce a lot of offense for us, if he was on a higher line. All in all I see the pros and cons of both uping his current lines TOI or promoting him to a higher line, and I'd be cool with either approach.

This was quite evident in Game 5 last night. Horvat was in high gear, and looked good with Higgins. That being said, he set him up numerous times only to have Higgins flub, like Kassian with Richardson the year before. Next year we should see Horvat with some truly skilled wingers like a Baertschi or Vrbata and offense will take a step up.

This was quite evident in Game 5 last night. Horvat was in high gear, and looked good with Higgins. That being said, he set him up numerous times only to have Higgins flub, like Kassian with Richardson the year before. Next year we should see Horvat with some truly skilled wingers like a Baertschi or Vrbata and offense will take a step up.

I'm personally hoping for:

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Or outside chance of:

Hansen, Horvat, Virtanen