The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't understand, didn't Jake have one of the higher ppg or some similar stat. I think it's earlier in this thread. Regardless, let's get him in the lineup and see how he performs.

He was in the top 10 in the WHL for Points Per 60

He was in the top 10 in the WHL for Points Per 60

Ya he was one of the best scorers relative to minutes played. TOI was closer to 16-17 minutes while a lot of top CHL scorers play 22-25 minutes.

Also Jake's PPG is a lot closer at even strength. His ES PPG was .72, the same as Cole Cassels. A lot of guys like Reinhart, Draisaitl, Ritchie are only slightly higher, around 0.8-0.9 ES PPG. It's on the PP where a lot of the other players really racked up the points whereas Jake didn't play as big a role in Calgary's PP.

Edited by uselessstats

Just like Bo?

Eh, maybe he can correct it but Bo was always a "good" skater and even had top end speed. It was merely his acceleration (first 3 steps) that were considered average. I haven't seen enough of Cassels to say but reports seem to be that his skating even at almost 20 is still fairly average. I don't think he is on par with Bo even before this year and Bo has improved greatly since then.

Maybe Cole can get there too but I don't think it's a given that he will.

Speaking of Cole Cassels is he as good or better a skater than Guance?

I remember Chance skating wise when was drafted was a step slower than even Hodgson.

Skating can be worked on though if you develop your technique and add more explosiveness and power in the off season. I'd be more concerned with Guance since Casells in theory can still put on another 10 pounds of muscle and become more explosive.

It's just funny that some cdc users were saying pretty much the exact same thing about Bo last year. Like word for word bro. You should leave it at " I haven't seen enough of Cassels to say" next time. We've got enough experts on here with no clue.

Sure mate, wasn't really here to talk about Cassels anyway. It's a Virtanen thread and was merely responding to someone who said they expect more out of Cassels at the NHL than Virtanen. Regardless of how much Cassels improves his skating, it still won't be anywhere near Virtanen's level. So by all means get all defensive and take your little shots at me if it helps. Point is simply Jake has tools - speed being one of them - that will likely allow his game to work at the faster paced NHL level that Cassels doesn't (and likely never will) have. Yes he's gritty, yes he's a good passer, yes he's smart. But he's also an average skater, has a weak shot, and isn't overly big. He's got a lot to work on if you expect him to make it in the NHL.

Oh and don't bother with the Bo comparisons on me. I didn't post on CDC until recently but I was one of Bo's biggest supporters on HFBoards and was one of the few arguing that he wasn't limited to being a 3C who was good at face offs. There's a world of difference between Bo and Cassels, hence why one went 9th and one in the 3rd round.

Edited by uselessstats

If Virtanen actually makes the team next year, then I can see him being in a Tom Wilson like role in his rookie year.

Tom Wilson basically just hit and fought his way into the league.

I dont think Virtanen can fight guys the way Wilson did... But it would be nice if he could.