The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

So we could potentially have 5 first round picks all playing for the farm team at once.

Gaunce

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Baertschi

Virtanen

Can't remember a time we ever had that much young talent playing together at once. Great opportunity to develop chemistry/friendships for the future.

So we could potentially have 5 first round picks all playing for the farm team at once.

Gaunce

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Baertschi

Virtanen

Can't remember a time we ever had that much young talent playing together at once. Great opportunity to develop chemistry/friendships for the future.

that's going to be key for the future :towel:

So you didn't like Mitchell levelling Toews a few years back? Looks like a carbon copy of that hit

And how about this one? A little different as Weber steps up rather than come from the blind side

Yeah, I mean it's black and white.

Again, my main problem is any raising of the body into anything up high.

Guest Dasein

Yeah, I mean it's black and white.

Again, my main problem is any raising of the body into anything up high.

I'm not saying that your preference is wrong or anything

I was honestly just curious what you thought of the other hits

Jake's hit was a watered down version of Kassian's flying headshot in junior. That being said, Jake's hit would still be suspendable in the NHL as well so I think 3 games is reasonable considering how much harsher the CHL is on headshots

Gaunce

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Baertschi

Virtanen

Great that we have a farm team to develop. Looking forward to a slow cook......

Skating is probably one of the easiest things to work, not saying it's easy but in comparison to other skills. Probably the easiest one. A lot of people hear things from experts and take it at face value.

Not really look at the Sedins no matter how much they train they just don't have fast skating legs. More about genetics than anything else really.

Brandon has prize Flames prospect Morgan Klimchuk(taken with the 1st pick aquired for Iggy), they also have a stacked D core top to bottom. I am checking out the game on Wednesday, gonna scout some Flames prospects, I believe their are 4 in this series(Hitmen/Wheat Kings) Ill provide a scouting report on Virtanen for you guys too. I believe I put up a little ditty about him in this thread a few months ago on his play this season in Calgary. He's been pretty good in the playoffs, I think hes at or near PPG, he's laying some good hits and playing a strong forcheck, I almost wonder though, if he is playing hurt, something seemed off about him last round

Speaking of Cole Cassels is he as good or better a skater than Guance?

I remember Chance skating wise when was drafted was a step slower than even Hodgson.

Skating can be worked on though if you develop your technique and add more explosiveness and power in the off season. I'd be more concerned with Guance since Casells in theory can still put on another 10 pounds of muscle and become more explosive.

It is interesting that some guys are able to improve their skating significantly from age 18 to 21 or 22 and some guys really can't. I'm sure every player wants to and there are lots of skating coaches around. So it is unlikely to be just a matter of who practices hard and who doesn't.

Also, while the speed game is important, as is balance and stability on skates, obviously players can be very effective players without being great skaters,like the Sedins. Hansen is regarded as the best skater on the team. He is the fastest, and is also very stable with excellent acceleration and mobility. If you just looked at Hansen and Henrik doing skating drills you would assume, incorrectly, that Hansen was a better player.

I wonder how Virtanen's skating ability compares with Hansen.

And I wonder how close Horvat is to those guys given that his skating has improved quite a lot over the year. It is not just acceleration. My recollection is that WD indicated that his top end speed was higher, and it looks like he also has more mobility. He was always very stable on his skates, but stability at high speed is more impressive than stability at low speed.

^^ $&!#ty, was looking forward to seeing him on Wednesday, havent been following the Dub as closely since the NHL playoffs started. Well lets hope the Hitmen can beat the Wheat Kings and we can see some more action from JV. On the other hand I wouldnt mind seeing the Wheat Kings win either, theyve got alot of exciting prospects and draft eledgible guys this year.