The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

the last thing i want is virt dropping the gloves and risking injury.

Yeah if he fights it wont be premeditated stuff. Just like this suspension is too harsh. It wasnt a head hunting play, and the timing of the hit was fine. Scott Stevens hits were way worse and no one blinked an eye. I guess they are trying too limit concussions on kids but once Jakes in the bigs I want him to throw lots of those kinds of hits during the season/Playoffs.

Yeah if he fights it wont be premeditated stuff. Just like this suspension is too harsh. It wasnt a head hunting play, and the timing of the hit was fine. Scott Stevens hits were way worse and no one blinked an eye. I guess they are trying too limit concussions on kids but once Jakes in the bigs I want him to throw lots of those kinds of hits during the season/Playoffs.

some of stevens' hits were absolutely vicious and head hunting, and people didn't bat an eye because we didn't fully understand the full ramifications of those actions as well as we do now. he ended a couple careers with those hits, and he'd be suspended for nearly the entire season had he been playing in today's league the way he did back then.

this hit by jake, however, wasn't a headhunting hit, and he made contact with the head accidentally, as he's still a kid and learning. hell seasoned vets sometimes make the same mistake as he did (timing just a little off makes a clean play no longer clean).

I don't think the CHL cares about the principle point of contact not being the head, they only care that the head made contact in a significant manner.

when i saw the play live on tv, i didn't think much about it other than it was a big hit. but the alternate angles make it look a bit worse.

some of stevens' hits were absolutely vicious and head hunting, and people didn't bat an eye because we didn't fully understand the full ramifications of those actions as well as we do now. he ended a couple careers with those hits, and he'd be suspended for nearly the entire season had he been playing in today's league the way he did back then.

this hit by jake, however, wasn't a headhunting hit, and he made contact with the head accidentally, as he's still a kid and learning. hell seasoned vets sometimes make the same mistake as he did (timing just a little off makes a clean play no longer clean).

I don't think the CHL cares about the principle point of contact not being the head, they only care that the head made contact in a significant manner.

when i saw the play live on tv, i didn't think much about it other than it was a big hit. but the alternate angles make it look a bit worse.

Fair enough but do you think he deserved 3 games?

Not happy Jake is suspended for that long but he does need to control himself. Tends to get too over zealous

the game was out of hand, tempers were escalating on both side, and everything was coming to a boiling point. This was fairly mild, to be honest.

Virtanen playing = Calgary the best team!

Virtanen not playing = Ew, Hitmen suck, no skill.

lel

When did I say they were the best team? Right now they're facing one that is STACKED. Man, do any of you people even follow junior leagues?

Virt will be in to try and save the day in game 5

This would be the perfect opportunity for JV to come in and make a positive impact - be a game-changer for the Hitmen if you will!

Everyone knows he has the physical tools to dominate at this level, now he has to show he has the mental game to dominate physically within the boundaries that the league has shown him.