The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Horvat as Naslund?

They're no where near the same player.

BMO was of the same mold and fit in with Bert and Naslund. Two players of complete different styles. You can't just have players that all play the same game on the same line. You need some diversity. Plus Bo could cover for Hunter and Virtanen and still chip while still producing in faceoffs and gritty points.

BMO was of the same mold and fit in with Bert and Naslund. Two players of complete different styles. You can't just have players that all play the same game on the same line. You need some diversity. Plus Bo could cover for Hunter and Virtanen and still chip while still producing in faceoffs and gritty points.

You have a PWF, two-way forward and a capable player who is big and can shoot in a Jensen-Horvat-Kassian line. Look at a top line who did well in the playoffs:

Pearson-Carter-Toffoli. 2 big bodies in Pearson and Carter who can play a physical, power game and a sniper in Toffoli. On paper, you would think the same, you can imagine that line dominating their shifts because they're fast and big.

You're also comparing 2 different eras, they game has changed who knows if a playmaker, sniper, PWF line would work.

McCann, Shinkaruk, Virtanen have the potential to be a great line, these guys have top notch speed who can push the play every shift. A Jensen-Horvat-Kassian are great board players, I can already imagine a cycle game going on between the 3 and 3 big forwards who can take it to the net aswell. I think we need a Andrew Shaw type of player in the mix with these 6 players, maybe Cassels could be that guy who can jump into the top 6 if we need him. Gaunce would look good with Horvat and Kassian aswell.

I just don't see it in a Virtanen-Horvat duo, 2 different players who play different styles. Virtanen doesn't have alot of things in common with Bert either and Horvat and Naslund aren't similar either. I don't see a comparison between these players, if you want to show me what you see that'd be interesting.

This is in general but I hate the Bo (centre) covering for the 2 wingers defensively, it makes no sense at all. The other 2 guys can't slack off defensively, you're never going to win Cups if you let players slack off. Horvat should be engaged offensively just as much as the wingers other wise you got 2 guys playing offence and a forward thinking about defence. In another case you get have a 4 on 2 the other way if you let a winger slack off defensively and defenceman jumps into the rush. Everybody needs to play as a unit and the 5 guys need to support each other.

Edited by Plum
  • Upvote 1

I'd say the Sharks (Pavelski/Thornton/Burns) and Kings (Brown/Kopitar/Gaborik) do.

I'd be willing to bet Benn-Seguin-Hemsky work out well next year. Same with Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan. I'm not saying McCann wouldn't look good with the 2. I just think that skill/style should be spread out, Making it harder to match lines against. Having a line with less of a one dimensional style can be harder to gain a read on. Like the Sedins everyone in the NHL knows there game. They know its going to cycle.

I'd be willing to bet Benn-Seguin-Hemsky work out well next year. Same with Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan. I'm not saying McCann wouldn't look good with the 2. I just think that skill/style should be spread out, Making it harder to match lines against. Having a line with less of a one dimensional style can be harder to gain a read on. Like the Sedins everyone in the NHL knows there game. They know its going to cycle.

I can agree we should spread out the speed and size we have. Virtanen, Kassian are some big guys who should be on different lines, Shinkaruk and Jensen on different lines. I just think in particular that Horvat and Virtanen won't work that well together.

I really like a Jensen-Horvat-Kassian line because each player have alot of different dimensions. I think Shinkaruk could work on that line, he's a legitimate sniper.

Virtanen fits well with McCann IMO, both are fast paced players and I think if we could get a big LW that'd look good beside those two but I don't know how we land one because I think we should draft a defenceman in the 1st round of the 2015 draft.

Edited by Plum

People easily mix up "selfish" and "shoot first" mentality.

Virtanen was described as a north-south type of player who will look to shoot first than pass. Not because he is selfish, but as a sniper you would think he would think to shoot first. He likes to make plays off the rush and drive to the net...pretty simple meat and potatoes player. If he can't blaze by you he will drive right through you.

Nylander as described by Bob Mckenzie and others scouts that Nylander has a tendency to play a more individual game rather than a team game. Although lots of flash, his inability to stick within the confines of the team mentality game hurt his reputation with a few teams when he was considered a top 5 talent.

Too bad for them ;)

Jake also didn't have linemates of complementary skill and ability. Will be interesting to see how he does this year with an increased role, and in particular more time on the PP.

I can agree we should spread out the speed and size we have. Virtanen, Kassian are some big guys who should be on different lines, Shinkaruk and Jensen on different lines. I just think in particular that Horvat and Virtanen won't work that well together.

I really like a Jensen-Horvat-Kassian line because each player have alot of different dimensions. I think Shinkaruk could work on that line, he's a legitimate sniper.

Virtanen fits well with McCann IMO, both are fast paced players and I think if we could get a big LW that'd look good beside those two but I don't know how we land one because I think we should draft a defenceman in the 1st round of the 2015 draft.

Yep, Kassian needs to be with snipers, Virtanen with a playmaker. Big LWs -- Matthias, Zalewski?

Yep, Kassian needs to be with snipers, Virtanen with a playmaker. Big LWs -- Matthias, Zalewski?

That's the problem I see. Jensen could work but I don't think he would get the best out of Virtanen, draft one or possibly trading one is what I see.

All this chat is exactly why it should be

Shink Horvat Jensen

Virtanen McCann Kass

Virtanen will get feeds from McCann and Kass like there's no tomorrow. McCann is the all rounder that will finish plays, but also create them. How would you match up against this line? Two guys that could literally knock you out, and another guy that has said he really likes cross checking people in the face. Oh ya and they can score.

Shink Horvat Jensen is a great all round line. 2 above average skaters, who are all round players, with a guy who will get them the puck, and get to the net when he needs to. Oh ya and win face-offs, and shut the other team down, and score when he has a good chance.

These lines just make too much sense to me, but alas I'm just one man.

Virtanen should play with McCann and Kassian in my opinion. Our fastest centre in McCann and arguably best passer and fighter in Kass. You could swap Jensen and Kass if you want, but I don't see a great fit there yet.

Edit: I'm not saying Kass is a better passer than Hank, this is just for the post Sedin Era

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

All this chat is exactly why it should be

Shink Horvat Jensen

Virtanen McCann Kass

Virtanen will get feeds from McCann and Kass like there's no tomorrow. McCann is the all rounder that will finish plays, but also create them. How would you match up against this line? Two guys that could literally knock you out, and another guy that has said he really likes cross checking people in the face. Oh ya and they can score.

Shink Horvat Jensen is a great all round line. 2 above average skaters, who are all round players, with a guy who will get them the puck, and get to the net when he needs to. Oh ya and win face-offs, and shut the other team down, and score when he has a good chance.

These lines just make too much sense to me, but alas I'm just one man.

Virtanen should play with McCann and Kassian in my opinion. Our fastest centre in McCann and arguably best passer and fighter in Kass. You could swap Jensen and Kass if you want, but I don't see a great fit there yet.

Edit: I'm not saying Kass is a better passer than Hank, this is just for the post Sedin Era

Good post, like the 2nd line. The McCann line sounds alot like the Bruins' line of Lucic-Krejci-Iginla.

I could also see Gaunce playing well with Horvat and Shinkaruk instead of Jensen. Cassels could be a Dave Bolland type of player, another draft and we might have a really good future going.!

Guest Dasein

I'm going with

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

McCann - Vey - Virtanen

I feel like one of Jensen or Shinkaruk are gone in the future to bring in help on defense.

forwards and backwards skater.

You cannot teach skating like that, nor can you successfully bet on how big he's gonna get. He's NHL size + right now with skill to spare. But what about when he's 22? 25? 6 foot 3 or 6 foot 4 and 225 pounds is not out of the question and as he'll have time tog row into it it should not affect his skating abilities at all.

I keep going over the first 10 pages of this thread and I plan on bumping some of the better "he's a bust" quotes when he is in his 3rd or 4th year. Kids a stud

I'm going with

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

McCann - Vey - Virtanen

I feel like one of Jensen or Shinkaruk are gone in the future to bring in help on defense.

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen has more potential as a line IMO.

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen

McCann/_____ - Vey - Kassian

I wouldn't mind packaging McCann and/or Jensen for either defence like you suggested or an upgrade at LW.