The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Beauty I love it! U guys remember, think it was bourdons first goal when it ripped through the net and got stuck? Was so pumped when that happend lol

I remember that, don't think it was his first goal but it was sick!

Why do people write this kid off saying he wont produce when he is not even 20 yet....

God I hate this fanbase sometimes

Nobody said that. Nobody thinks that. It's his ceiling which has some people skeptical, not his floor

He's carrying the badge of highest pick since the Sedins, who have been beyond amazing for this franchise. The label has some weight to it.

• Upvote 4

Why do people write this kid off saying he wont produce when he is not even 20 yet....

God I hate this fanbase sometimes

what most people fail to realize is that prospects score goals in many ways in junior that just never go in on NHL goalies or defenseman. Then there is some like horvat, landeskog and their game just translates right over because they score and play an NHL style game that isnt the most effective offensively in junior.

That is why this fanbase has issues in my opinion it is a fairly young fanbase in terms of growing up with hockey generation to generation so that base of knowledge just isnt there to be passed down the line.

Instead people rely on statwatching because its the easiest metric to use, just like our " vancouver redlight metric" to always blame goalies no matter what because its simply easier than understanding the nuances of the game.

I know im guilty of this same thing when i watch football im always blaming the QB for getting sacked, because i have no clue that the DE blew the AGAP and the LT f'd it up. Its just easier.

• Upvote 1

Because those ppl are Nylander/Ehlers lovers

Incorrect.

Will definitely get 9 games next year, will have to really impress to make the team for the whole year but not out of the question.

Also incorrect. No prospect is ever guaranteed 9 games unless they impress at camp and are really testing the team to keep him up full time. If he's not ready, then they'll send him back after preseason rather than have to waive someone else (and risk losing them) just to give him those 9 games.

Edited by elvis15

what most people fail to realize is that prospects score goals in many ways in junior that just never go in on NHL goalies or defenseman. Then there is some like horvat, landeskog and their game just translates right over because they score and play an NHL style game that isnt the most effective offensively in junior.

That is why this fanbase has issues in my opinion it is a fairly young fanbase in terms of growing up with hockey generation to generation so that base of knowledge just isnt there to be passed down the line.

Instead people rely on statwatching because its the easiest metric to use, just like our " vancouver redlight metric" to always blame goalies no matter what because its simply easier than understanding the nuances of the game.

I know im guilty of this same thing when i watch football im always blaming the QB for getting sacked, because i have no clue that the DE blew the AGAP and the LT f'd it up. Its just easier.

Bolder is so true and something that always gets lost by Hockeydb scouts. Sure high production is a good sign, but it isn't the only thing that matters. Horvat scored at a significantly lower rate than Drouin last year yet closed the gap immensely at the NHL level. Simply put, Drouin is far more talented and that talent resulted in huge differences in junior. But in the NHL pure talent matters less and the characteristics that Bo has matter more.

I believe the same will prove true of Virtanen relative to guys who ripped up junior (Ehlers, Fabbri). While they may still out score Jake, the gap will close immensely.

• Upvote 1

Green said Virtanen has a "great" shot, while McCann has a "good" shot. Seems like he wanted to separate both on the shot category, but said very good things about both. Looks excited about their future, wouldn't be that surprised after this interview if we see them both play at some time this season

According to his coach after last season, McCann has the ability to score with his wrist shot from just inside the blueline but it's his accuracy that needed work.

According to his coach after last season, McCann has the ability to score with his wrist shot from just inside the blueline but it's his accuracy that needed work.

He also said that he's got the best wrist shot of any junior player.

Beauty I love it! U guys remember, think it was bourdons first goal when it ripped through the net and got stuck? Was so pumped when that happend lol

I was at that game.

Sigh* we could really use him now