The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Most of those players are wayyyy better than Dorsett. What did Dorsett do about Ferland? That's his only legitimate role on the team and he did nothing. So we're paying him more than most of those guys above for what exactly? Like I said he's a disaster with the puck and we have better penalty killers.

You off your rocker man?? I would put Dorsett ahead of half of those guys

Not really, theres quite a few ppl on here and on twittee that bash Virtanen or any other pick because they didnt take the guy THEY wanted.

And yet that doesn't make your statement correct. There are also people who worry about his output this year and just how high his ceiling is, irrespective of what Nylander and Ehlers have done.

Don't forget there's also people who are Nylander and Ehlers haters and have tried to bring them down to pump up Virtanen. That's even more confusing since the stats don't support it, but it doesn't mean everyone who thinks Virtanen is our top prospect and will excel in the NHL are all Nylander/Ehlers haters.

Will definitely get 9 games next year, will have to really impress to make the team for the whole year but not out of the question.

I'm skeptical he'll crack the Canucks roster next season, unless injuries force his call-up. I think he needs at least a full year at the AHL level, it's a big jump to go from the CHL to the NHL...Shink hasn't done it & he's performed better at the CHL level than Virtanen.

I'm skeptical he'll crack the Canucks roster next season, unless injuries force his call-up. I think he needs at least a full year at the AHL level, it's a big jump to go from the CHL to the NHL...Shink hasn't done it & he's performed better at the CHL level than Virtanen.

I think having an NHL body will make the transition easier and can play almost anywhere in the line up unlike shink, it's pretty common for a 6th overall pick to play in NHL in his 2nd year after the draft. Personally I think he will surprise a lot of people after a hard summer of training. If he continues to get faster and stronger he could be scary even at the NHL level.

Physical stature is not the only criteria for NHL play. Fans tend to dwell on that when it comes to

Virtanen. I go along with the Linden idea that all young players should spend a year in the AHL. It keeps them out of the NHL glare and gives them a chance to adjust to the pro game and almost as

important the pro lifestyle. It also allows for long term team identity building.

Obviously there are exceptions, Bo Horvat is our current example. I think Virtanen spends another year in Calgary because he is not AHL eligible. From what I could see this past season Virtanen was not a

team leader on a pretty mature club. Next year he will get that chance.

I think having an NHL body will make the transition easier and can play almost anywhere in the line up unlike shink, it's pretty common for a 6th overall pick to play in NHL in his 2nd year after the draft. Personally I think he will surprise a lot of people after a hard summer of training. If he continues to get faster and stronger he could be scary even at the NHL level.

That's true, Jake definitely has size on his side. Time will tell, hopefully he has a real strong summer in the gym...it would be pretty sweet if some of the Canucks top prospects can actually earn a roster spot next season.

Well, since I've already taken on the role of the devil's advocate in this thread, here's a continuation. Different poster, adding onto Mr. Facial Expressions.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=102467369&postcount=250

I haven't really said anything until I saw this but this is, for the most part, true

I went to school Virtanen (same year, quite a few classes with him before he went to Calgary), and he had an attitude. He was better than everyone else at hockey, he knew it, and he thought that meant he was entitled to act better. He didn't care much about listening to teachers, his coaches, or trying in school or on the ice. He felt very above it

He sort of skated by in school, and I felt like he was helped and coddled by the school because he was a top prospect, and that was a ton of publicity for the school (along with Theodore). He was never really in the gym, and when coaches tried to help him he felt like he knew more. He lived on his natural ability and size and didn't really train to make himself better. This attitude kind of alienated a lot of people and teammates. He didn't have a ton of friends, people sort of stayed away from him in general, which was unfortunate, but it was all due to his attitude. He was definitely told he was going to be a hockey star, and after that didn't care about anyone or anything else.

A lot like how he plays, he had a bit of tunnel vision in life. I was hoping the Canucks weren't going to draft him as I think he will be an NHL player due to his size and natural strength, but I don't think he becomes a star. But I'm holding out hope that he becomes great. If he gets his butt in gear I will be a fan, because his skill set is so desirable

Flame away.

Well, since I've already taken on the role of the devil's advocate in this thread, here's a continuation. Different poster, adding onto Mr. Facial Expressions.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=102467369&postcount=250

Flame away.

Nugent Hopkins was the same way, it's called being a star athlete and a teenager.

Patrick Kane is the best example, he'll grow out of it