The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

What size do you think Jake will play at in the NHL? Is he done growing taller?

Could he get to 6'3 225?

On average, between draft age (17 or 18) and when they reach full height (usually by about 20 or 21) players (and men generally) add about one inch in height. I have had a harder time with assessing weight changes, but it seems that adding about 15 lbs between the draft and age 22 or 23 is pretty common. So I expect Virtanen to 6-2 and 225 when at his full "NHL" size. That is very good size for an NHL forward.

Edited by JamesB

Despite what other people may think, he really does look NHL ready. The way he skates and finishes his checks are something the Canucks are going to need IF they want to make the playoffs next year, but with the emergence of Colorado and Dallas I think we are going to finish just a couple of points short with the current roster. Even on playing on the 4th line Virtanen was noticable with some solid hits and breakout passes, can't wait for him to make the Canucks even if he doesn't produce a lot in the beginning he will be exciting to watch.

Another year of Junior IMO will not be beneficial to his development as a power forward he will be able to bully his way to the net and may learn some bad habits from being able to out skate everyone instead of being smart with the amount of ice he covers.

Wasn't he the fastest skater at last year's combine both forwards and backwards?

Yes, he was. He is certainly one of the best skaters in the CHL, maybe the best. The fact that he is an excellent skater, has good size and strength, a very good shot and plays with intensity pretty much guarantees he can at least be legitimate bottom 6 forward in the NHL.

But it also explains why people expected more than a point a game in his 18-year-old year in Junior. Given his basic skills it seems like he should be more dominant. He was kind of inconsistent this year, with good stretches and disappointing stretches and that explains why he is now ranked well behind Ehlers, Nylander, and Ritchie -- all of whom were picked after him in the draft. But things are fluid at this stage and he could have a big year next year. And his game could translate well to the NHL. So his ceiling is still pretty high.

He certainly did not look out of place tonight playing for Utica, which is a good sign.

Edited by JamesB

Despite what other people may think, he really does look NHL ready. The way he skates and finishes his checks are something the Canucks are going to need IF they want to make the playoffs next year, but with the emergence of Colorado and Dallas I think we are going to finish just a couple of points short with the current roster. Even on playing on the 4th line Virtanen was noticable with some solid hits and breakout passes, can't wait for him to make the Canucks even if he doesn't produce a lot in the beginning he will be exciting to watch.

Another year of Junior IMO will not be beneficial to his development as a power forward he will be able to bully his way to the net and may learn some bad habits from being able to out skate everyone instead of being smart with the amount of ice he covers.

Could he not immediately take Kassians position and role?

Some nice work on the boards by Shinkaruk. Jake looked like he does in his WHL highlights -- cruising around effortlessly in another gear, and making hits when they're there.

I think that's what Benning sees, too. As long as Jake plays a simple game and is responsible defensively, there's no reason he can't make the team next season. His skating, size, and hitting are NHL-quality now. The last two years it seems he hasn't really had a role with Calgary, and we had hoped that would change last year but it didn't -- will next year with the Hitmen be any different? If he was AHL-eligible then that would be a much better option than where he's at.

Let's get an NHL coaching team working with him. It's not like he's going to get left behind or out-muscled or intimidated -- he was deliberately going after Winchester tonight. Start him at 10 min/game and let him learn

I'm excited to have Jake on our team. I think he should play another year in the Dub though.

very excited. don't give 2 damns, with Ehlers and Nylanders offensive years this year. Virtannen looks pro ready. reminds me of 19 year old Kesler. Although he was not 100% ready, he didn't look out of place with his speed and size.

Virt will no doubt be a star but he does not have a tenth of the physical intimidation Kass does.

I'd say Virtanen will be a much more intimidating player than Kassian. He has the size, grit and intensity of Kassian, all while skating twice as fast and shooting the puck much harder.

The only thing Kassian has over Virtanen in intimidation is his ugly mug.

Edited by jstewboy

I'd say Virtanen will be a much more intimidating player than Kassian. He has the size, grit and intensity of Kassian, all while skating twice as fast and shooting the puck much harder.

The only thing Kassian has over Virtanen in intimidation is his ugly mug.

Zack is listed as 6'3 215.

Jake is listed as 6'1 205

I'm not sure how that's the same in the slightest but

Some nice work on the boards by Shinkaruk. Jake looked like he does in his WHL highlights -- cruising around effortlessly in another gear, and making hits when they're there.

I think that's what Benning sees, too. As long as Jake plays a simple game and is responsible defensively, there's no reason he can't make the team next season. His skating, size, and hitting are NHL-quality now. The last two years it seems he hasn't really had a role with Calgary, and we had hoped that would change last year but it didn't -- will next year with the Hitmen be any different? If he was AHL-eligible then that would be a much better option than where he's at.

Let's get an NHL coaching team working with him. It's not like he's going to get left behind or out-muscled or intimidated -- he was deliberately going after Winchester tonight. Start him at 10 min/game and let him learn

The BoHo treatment. I like it.

He doesn't know how to play on the boards though. I think that's an important part of the game he needs to work on in juniors before taking the next step.

Not a bad game from him, tried to keep it simple but did end up rushing/forcing/chasing things a little. That's to be expected to a point where he's not played in a little but and it adjusting to the bigger, faster AHL.

Granted it's junior, but Jake looks like the better fighter. He's more of a straight-up pain on the ice whereas Kassian is an unpredictable eccentric that you have to watch out for in case he snaps and does something crazy. Tough and intimidating in different ways -- nice to have them both.

Zack is listed as 6'3 215.

Jake is listed as 6'1 205

I'm not sure how that's the same in the slightest but

You're talking about 2 inches and 6-10 lbs. Plus Virtanen is still growing...

Have you ever seen Jake check someone when he has the puck? The kid is going to be a beast.

• Upvote 1

You're talking about 2 inches and 6-10 lbs. Plus Virtanen is still growing...

Have you ever seen Jake check someone when he has the puck? The kid is going to be a beast.

Elite Prospects has Jake at 6-1 and 207. Given normal growth, we would expect him to be maybe 6-2 and 220 to 225 at age 21 or 22. I agree that he will be better physical player than Kassian. He makes more hits, harder hits, and plays a more consistent physical game. Kassian can have a great shift and then do some fly-bys when he should use his body.

Part of the problem could be his back, of course. If he is having back trouble it will be difficult to be a physical player and may be difficult to play at all. Right now I am not expecting much from Kassian. Too bad Gillis did not get a better trade for Hodgson.