The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

All in all not a bad game for Virtanen last night. The biggest positive that I saw was his willingness to take the body and finish his checks. He wasn't timid about hitting anyone out there. The biggest negative was he looked unsure of himself on the half wall in the defensive zone. Wasn't effective at clearing the zone when a Barons defenseman pinched in and trapped him there.

He didn't get a ton of ice time during stretches of the 2nd period because of penalties and special teams play or in the 3rd period with the game on the line. His overall play if you take out the positive and negative I mentioned was just okay but that is what you would expect from an 18 year old kid playing in his first professional game against older players.

He will be in the line up again on Wednesday and Green was quoted that he will try and get him on the ice more often....one step at a time. If the Comets win and advance Virtanen could find a regular spot in the line up. My seats are not very close to the tunnel where the Comets enter the ice and where the scratched players stand but it looked from my viewpoint that Carter Bancks was standing there with crutches watching the game.

I think that's what Benning sees, too. As long as Jake plays a simple game and is responsible defensively, there's no reason he can't make the team next season. His skating, size, and hitting are NHL-quality now. The last two years it seems he hasn't really had a role with Calgary, and we had hoped that would change last year but it didn't -- will next year with the Hitmen be any different? If he was AHL-eligible then that would be a much better option than where he's at.

Let's get an NHL coaching team working with him. It's not like he's going to get left behind or out-muscled or intimidated -- he was deliberately going after Winchester tonight. Start him at 10 min/game and let him learn

May very well happen that way. It certainly sounds like most of his remaining "issues" are quite coach-able and he could very well be better off learning and getting coached at this level vs stagnating in the WHL. Start him off at 8-10 minutes per and see where he goes...

Virtanen, Cassels/Richardson, Dorsett as our 4th next year...? What a PITA they'd be to play against ::D

• Upvote 1

So far the most I can see Virtanen turning out to be is a Chris Krieder, which is not bad, he can turn out to be a 15-20 goal guy in the NHL. I just don't see a top line talent in Jake Virtanen, but I do see a 2nd line talent in him.

The issues I have with him is he doesn't demand the game on his stick. Players like Corey Perry, they make sure they have the game on their stick. They demand the puck, they crash the net, they get in the face of the defence, they get open for wicket shots, they have something unique. So far I haven't seen this from Virtanen, I watched some games of Calgary Hitmen and saw the same thing. However I do see a Chris Krieder.

Use your body and speed and go to the net, instead he takes lame shots from the outside. There is alot of time for him to improve his game style, but so far I see what I see.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

I think Jared Hauf may disagree with you! Bigger player that Virtanen threw over the bench:

Link:

Hauf = 6'5" 223 lbs

Virtanen = 6'1" 205 lbs

What a smash ! I still think he has room to grow a tiny bit more but I doubt when he gets to the big show the coaches will want him playing the bigger mans game every shift. I think Virt would be more of a useful weapon sniping as much as he can.

What a smash ! I still think he has room to grow a tiny bit more but I doubt when he gets to the big show the coaches will want him playing the bigger mans game every shift. I think Virt would be more of a useful weapon sniping as much as he can.

he's still fairly young so I do think he'll grow as well. He's got to the play the game that will get him into the league which is the big man game - kid's going to be power forward and I am excited as.....desiboy when he sees bo sang on the score sheet.

• Upvote 2

he's still fairly young so I do think he'll grow as well. He's got to the play the game that will get him into the league which is the big man game - kid's going to be power forward and I am excited as.....desiboy when he sees bo sang on the score sheet.

Bo-Sang deserves a contract, watched him play last night was fairly impressed at his quick puck-movement. Now I understand he can improve defensively but offensively that player has got it.

Gillis asked for Carlson, Washington said no.

Phx offered Turris and a mid round pick (this is when Turris had say out the first half of the year), gillis said No.

Toronto called and was told they didn't have the pieces to make a trade for Hodgson.

How good would Turris look right now on our team- our future 1C... Drool

Hindsight baby

Where'd you hear that?

I do see a power forward as well just not one with a nasty edge. I think it would serve him and his teamates well to focus on his ridiculous speed, agility and shooting. Obviously he has the confidence to play the big boys game and has enough size to play that way but that tends to lead to a much shorter career

As I look back at some of the grittier power forwards that were not huge but skilled I cant help but want to compare Virt to Doug Gilmour. Gilmour played well out of his skates at 5'10 and was one of the most lethal penaly killers in history.

I see so much 2 way potential in Virtanen.

Bo-Sang deserves a contract, watched him play last night was fairly impressed at his quick puck-movement. Now I understand he can improve defensively but offensively that player has got it.

Do you like Bo-Sang?

• Upvote 1