The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think the opposite imo, Virtanen has punishing solid hits almost every game, Kassian doesnt hit that well, he struggles to line guys up and he often leads with his arms out whereas Virtanen is all shoulder, he is just a better hitter by quite a large margin IMO.

Virtanen is by far the more consistent hitter if you're comparing his junior game to Kassian's current nhl game.

You have to remember though that Kassian was a beast physically in juniors and his first few years with the Canucks.... He had 40 hits in 17 games in 2012 despite playing under 10 minutes a game alot of the time.

Recently Kassian has only seemed to hit consistently when angry or having a good game. Alot of the times, Kassian seems to go a few games with very little to no hits and some games (seems to happen against Nashville, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh for some reason) where he looks like an absolute beast and ends up with at least 6 hits. Virtanen, however, is more like a consistent 3 hits per game type of guy.

If we're talking about intimidation and aggression/mean streak, Kassian always brings that, but Virtanen isn't that soft, just cant pull some of the mean crap Kassian does because he isnt as big.

Hopefully Virtanen stays consistent physically and as it looks right now, i think he will.

Just want to remind you guys...we don't have to pick between the two of them :P

I'm quite looking forward to them both wreaking havoc on the opposition in their own unique ways for hopefully, many years ::D

• Upvote 3

Just want to remind you guys...we don't have to pick between the two of them :P

I'm quite looking forward to them both wreaking havoc on the opposition in their own unique ways for hopefully, many years ::D

I like Kass but if we could move him to boost our defense or get in the top ten I'd do it. Opens more opportunity for virt to make the team too.

I like Kass but if we could move him to boost our defense or get in the top ten I'd do it. Opens more opportunity for virt to make the team too.

I'm waving a big flag at the front of the 'Fix the D' parade but I'd rather we didn't move Kassian to do so unless he nets a VERY good return. And frankly the likelihood of him doing so, given his current value, is pretty low.

He's worth more to us than what we'd get IMO.

• Upvote 3

If Virtanen is going to make the team it will mean Higgins is moved IMO. Also There's almost zero chance Horvat starts at 2C IMO. He might finish the year there but I'd be shocked if WD starts him there.

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Virtanen, Richardson/Cassels, Dorsett

Vey

This looks like a very logical forward core for next year. Just Dorsett can swap wing sides with Jake so he can start out on his more comfortable side... And yes, WD will start Jake on the 4th line if makes the team. And move him along slowly, adding responsibility when he proves he ''gets it.""

Like you; On the fix the D train. Was in favour of letting Ehrhoff go over his $40 mill deal. But not leaving any reasonable attempt to replace him as PMD wait, what, another 4 years? Cannot believe we have gone 4 full years... :picard:

I've been on that train for a looooonnnnnggggg time.

(side note > never was in favour of signing Garrison. No hate, good player. Just brought skill sets we already had, not ones were missing, to the table.)

A future line with Baertschi on one wing, Jake on the other, has such dynamic speed to offer! :towel:

This looks like a very logical forward core for next year. Just Dorsett can swap wing sides with Jake so he can start out on his more comfortable side... And yes, WD will start Jake on the 4th line if makes the team. And move him along slowly, adding responsibility when he proves he ''gets it.""

Either / or...up to the coach really.

I believe Virtanen has played on LW (his off side) and had a tendency to score more goals from there but really, either works.

Sedum Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Vrabata

Burrows Bonino Virtanen

Higgins Cassels/Richardsson Hansen

Dorsett

Vey

Hmmmm - that forward group looks pretty cramped on RW not to mention Jensen

I doubt virtanen gets full time with the big team

Bearcheese on the second ? Virt on third ? You also dont have Dorsett starting.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles

Assuming they all play on different lines, with Kenins and Virtanen pummelling guys on theirs, maybe it'll get Kassian going on his as well. Three lines with a hitter on each? Yes please.

I love Kenins but I have a feeling he's in Utica to start the year and is one of the first bottom 6 winger call ups.

I love Kenins but I have a feeling he's in Utica to start the year and is one of the first bottom 6 winger call ups.

Been looking at the potential lineup as well and it seems he may be the odd man out. Really depends on how many vets Benning ships out, and how good the prospects look.

Been looking at the potential lineup as well and it seems he may be the odd man out. Really depends on how many vets Benning ships out, and how good the prospects look.

Even with Higgins gone it would be reasonable to assume they might give Jake his 9 games. From there Grenier or Gaunce could earn a bottom 6 W spot over Kenins is well.

If Higgins is still here, there's even less room.

Gotta love that internal competition though!

Edited by J.R.

Even with Higgins gone it would be reasonable to assume they might give Jake his 9 games. From there Grenier or Gaunce could earn a bottom 6 W spot over Kenins is well.

If Higgins is still here, there's even less room.

Gotta love that internal competition though!

I thought we had the competition this year, but it didn't seem to motivate. We had injuries and then we had the revolving door.

I would like to go younger and healthier.

Solid little article by the Calgary Herald on Jake's pro début.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/virtanen-creates-a-buzz-with-pro-hockey-debut-in-ahl-playoffs

Here is part of it.

“I liked his game,” Utica defenceman Alex Biega told Vancouver’s TSN 1040. “Obviously for everyone, for your first professional game, you’re a little nervous, excited at the same time. You want to get your first hit and first shot. You could definitely tell he’s a big boy. I think he delivered two pretty good hits and got the crowd into it right away.

“He’s got an NHL release. It’s quick, it’s hard, it’s accurate. I think for the first game, I think he did pretty well. I would like to think people are pretty happy with his first game. I think especially for younger players coming into the league, you have to really get your first couple of games and find your confidence. From there, that’s where you see players flourish.”

I thought we had the competition this year, but it didn't seem to motivate. We had injuries and then we had the revolving door.

I would like to go younger and healthier.

Unfortunately four of our top prospects were unable to compete at camp last year -- Virtanen, Shinkaruk, McCann, and Cassels. Even if healthy probably none would have made the team but it's going to be fantastic to see them there this year, plus whomever we take in the draft. Vets better come ready!

Besides Baertschi, Corrado, and Clendening graduating, I'm highly anticipating Virtanen, Grenier, and Cassels making a serious push. Shinkaruk and Gaunce are probably best-off doing one more year; no point in rushing them as they're progressing well.

Here are his shifts from Game 7 vs. OKC.

It seemed like he was getting more icetime but the video is still only 7 minutes long. He didn't play the final 10 minutes-ish of the game once again.

I don't have any plans to do any of his games in the WCF since it costs a lot to watch each game (about $12).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-C9l5UwKQ

I swear we haven't seen it yet but Virtanen has a 6th gear ! Making highway pylons out of defenders :emot-parrot:

• Upvote 1