The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

As predicted, he's blowing by opponent d-men like they were statues at the pro level as well. He's one of the fastest skaters in hockey. When he's fully grown? Unstoppable.

ya hes gonna be good i was so pumped when we drafted this kid he looks like a grown man against boys on utica wait til hes 23 corry perry is his upside better skater and hitter hopefully the offense comes along as well

are you kidding me thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard virtanen destroys people with hits kass needs to take lessons from this kid

Virtanen has that good kid feel about him. Kassian has the wild gleam in his eye that Virtanen doesn't. It's like comparing Loki (Jake) and the Joker (Zack).

• Upvote 1

As predicted, he's blowing by opponent d-men like they were statues at the pro level as well. He's one of the fastest skaters in hockey. When he's fully grown? Unstoppable.

We have known for quite a while (certainly since the draft combine of his draft year) that Virtanen is an outstanding skater -- possibly the best in junior hockey. And he has an excellent shot and very good size and toughness.

His problem is not basic physical skills. To be successful at the pro level I think he needs the following:

1. Learn to play to boards, especially in his own end.

2. Be more responsible defensively, learning more about defensive positioning.

3. Be more disciplined -- fewer penalties.

4. Be more consistent.

5. And of course we all want to see him develop the hockey IQ that will allow him to convert his outstanding skills into actual goals and assists at the NHL level.

I am guessing he is learning a lot with Utica during their playoff run as they have very good coaching and he can learn from the other players.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 1

We have known for quite a while (certainly since the draft combine of his draft year) that Virtanen is an outstanding skater -- possibly the best in junior hockey. And he has an excellent shot and very size and toughness.

His problem is not basic physical skills. To be successful at the pro level I think he needs the following:

1. Learn to play to boards, especially in his own end.

2. Be more responsible defensively, learning more about defensive positioning.

3. Be more disciplined -- fewer penalties.

4. Be more consistent.

5. And of course we all want to see him develop the hockey IQ that will allow him to convert his outstanding skills into actual goals and assists at the NHL level.

I am guessing he is learning a lot with Utica during their playoff run as they have very good coaching and he can learn from the other players.

The "Low Hockey IQ" thing is such as joke. HE WAS TAKEN 6TH OVERALL of course he has a high hockey IQ despite what some "scouts" think.

• Upvote 1

I love how you think you are more credible than an NHL scout. He has hockey I.Q but it is low compared to a lot of other players his age. He's not the best play maker or defensively aware player and his only true move is skate down the wing and either shoot or do a wrap around.

Sam Reinhart is the definition of hockey IQ

Never said that, someone is making words magically appear out of nowhere

Yea it's a lot better than other players his age...... Otherwise he wouldn't have been a top 10 pick

Umm what else is he suppose to do when his line mates aren't anywhere near as fast as he is.....Also isn't that what a winger is suppose to do?

Edited by Gstank29

Never said that, someone is making words magically appear out of nowhere

Yea it's a lot better than other players his age...... Otherwise he wouldn't have been a top 10 pick

Umm what else is he suppose to do when his line mates aren't anywhere near as fast as he is.....Also isn't that what a winger is suppose to do?

Take it easy on these guys, they've watched hockey for 3 years and played on x-box for 2. They know more about hockey and IQ than I ever did playing Jrs. I bow to them as we all should.

• Upvote 1

The scouts..I don't know. I played Junior as well and have been watching hockey my whole life thank you very much. Gstank I know you haven't played a day of competitive hockey in your life. The ultimate fanboy

LOL or as Snypers would say "LUL"

Also I choose not to rot away in junior but since you asked

ttp://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160143

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=239774

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160153

http://www.vijhl.com/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=3467&teamID=409419&leagueID=16189&playerID=1206745

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286741

Just some of the guys who were in the same group as me in goalie camps over the past couple of summers (when I played)

Apparently Jake needs to skate slower, in order to reveal that hockey IQ that mockingbirds keep saying does not exist. You know, sink himself down to a lower common denominator.

You don't have to have a high hockey IQ to be drafted high but yeah if you are comparing him to some 7th rounder then yeah his IQ is probably higher. Everyone knows he was picked because of his skating ability and physicality, not his hockey IQ. There is a reason why he had almost had twice as many goals as assists in his draft year. He gets the puck and his head is rarely on a swivel because all he is thinking is shoot (which can be a good thing).

And what's the reason he had 50% more assists than goals in his draft+1 year?

Actually that would be BanTSN's idiosyncrasy.

Here are his shifts from Game 7 vs. OKC.

It seemed like he was getting more icetime but the video is still only 7 minutes long. He didn't play the final 10 minutes-ish of the game once again.

I don't have any plans to do any of his games in the WCF since it costs a lot to watch each game (about $12).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-C9l5UwKQ

Thanks for doing this, .... I have really appreciated it. It gives me a good idea of how he is progressing. And I like what I see !

• Upvote 2

Assists were up a bit but his goal total was way down, maybe because he spent so much time in the penalty box or his shots just simply weren't going in? And yeah Jake skates so fast that he doesn't even have time to make a smart play in the offensive zone....riggghhtttt

If Jake has a high IQ then name me a player who has a low IQ? Remember I'm comparing Jake to the other top picks in that draft, i'm not comparing his IQ to a midget house league player..

Kyle Beach, Nick Ritchie (still don't like the guy), Dylan Mcilrath, Ducan Siemens, Brett Connolly and my favourite

ZACH KASSIAN

Edited by Gstank29