The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

At draft time, don't we see the prospects rated on the TSN site in terms of several criteria?

1. Hockey IQ
  2. Skating
  3. Puck Handling
  4. Shot

This would be the summary of a scouting report I presume. I think I'm missing one but you get my drift, Hockey IQ is definitely considered when rating a player.

Edited by Crabcakes

Yes and TSN had jake's hockey IQ at 3/5 which is low. But everyone on CDC is smarter than the guys that do it for a living. Especially Gstank

TSN ranking are also made by the one and only Craig Button, Who said Virtanen's upside is a bottom 6 player... And even the people who are "hockey exports" admit they aren't experts (i believe Bob Mackenzie twitted it a couple of months ago), and they don't even call them selves hockey experts, it's a name given to them by other people.

I'm saying don't believe everything you read because Virtanen's hockey IQ is definetly above average, but he as been type casted as a "dumb" player so everyone calls him a player with a low hockey IQ.

Also it was ICE IQ (vision) which is how he sees the ice not necessarily HOCKEY IQ, the two can be comparable but to0 me they are completely different. Ice IQ is how he sees the ice. Hockey IQ is how he creates/reads/adjusts/ to certain situations

Edited by Gstank29

Yes and TSN Craig Button had jake's hockey IQ at 3/5 which is low. But everyone on CDC is smarter than the guys that do it for a living. Especially Gstank

Fixed.

Yes, Craig Button makes a great living at it... in media because there's no accountability if/when he's wrong, like getting fired for being a crappy GM. With TSN, he's just providing entertainment... like Dionne's Psychic Friends.

Hey, I heard the experts say that Bo Horvat is slow... too bad we didn't listen and drafted him. Have you heard? Gaunce is slow, too, just like the Sedins. Subban is too small. Cederholm doesn't score enough. McCann has a bad attitude. Kenins has a funny accent. Even Higgins' 6-pack is crooked.

Face it, Vancouver is draft/sign/trade bust central. At least we have the Debbies and Nancies to remind us daily.

green should try Virtanen with Baerstchi. I saw many plays today were Mike Zaleswki couldn't keep up with the skill. I get it, I get it, he is on the line to provide defense, but why not try Jake on the powerplay with Baerstchi atleast?

I like the idea of Virtanen at RW and Baertschi at LW. Baertchi is also a very good skater, like Virtanen. Those two guys together would make life very difficult for opposing D pairings with their speed, especially if Virtanen also made the occasional big hit.

But Utica does not really have the right center for them. Both Sven and Jake are trying hard to be defensively responsible, but neither is a natural shutdown guy. They need a center who is very good defensively and who can also keep up with them on the breakout. Those guys are rare. (But Horvat would be a good fit and I would not be surprised to see that line get a look at training camp next year.)

• Upvote 1

For a kid with low hockey iq, Virtanen sure does make some good plays, with and without the puck. I think Green is noticing that more than he's reading about how he is supposed to have a low hockey iq. But no, he's not perfect. Gosh darn it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=80&v=-S-C9l5UwKQ

Like i've been saying all along, he's NHL-ready. Whatever flaws he may have in his game will be rounded out at the NHL level. Not sure if another year of junior is the way to go. But then again, he might be better off in the WHL if the Canucks are just going to look at bad as they did against Calgary in the playoffs next season. Then junior might be a plus for him ahead of the NHL.

• Upvote 3

doesn't look like a low iq player at all. Looks like a regular pro player that blended in perfectly. I didn't see any turn overs or give aways. the LOW iq seems to be a weapon used by many of the fans who want to see him fail.

Damn does he hit hard, oh my gosh. The players are always laid out after a Virtannen hit.

• Upvote 1

Here are his shifts from Game 7 vs. OKC.

It seemed like he was getting more icetime but the video is still only 7 minutes long. He didn't play the final 10 minutes-ish of the game once again.

I don't have any plans to do any of his games in the WCF since it costs a lot to watch each game (about $12).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-C9l5UwKQ

wow, hes just blowing past guys there. Crushed Khaira, the guy who seemed to contain and win puck battles against Kassian on the wall in last years preseason game. Jake looks great out there.

Side note; Shinkaruk's looking good too. Backchecked a few times and didnt look that lost defensively compared to the preseason games.

Also, his skating looks great, much better than i've seen this year. His hip must be fully recovered.

Edited by LeanBeef

I love how you think you are more credible than an NHL scout. He has hockey I.Q but it is low compared to a lot of other players his age. He's not the best play maker or defensively aware player and his only true move is skate down the wing and either shoot or do a wrap around.

Sam Reinhart is the definition of hockey IQ

Hes probably more reliable then Button or Milbury. Oh yeah, dont forget "Stars for scraps" Mcphee

Bo Horvat, Trevor Linden, Sedins, Tanev, Edler, etc.

Looking at the prospects, the Canucks have a couple of guys who have not shown the greatest attitude, including Virtanen and McCann. But I like Cassels. He has a bit of an edge but is obviously a real team guy -- probably a bit like Dorsett but with more talent. Gaunce and Shinkaruk also have very different but great attitudes.

I don't know if you've noticed but you don't win a cup without a few star players with bad attitudes these days. Virtanen hasn't done anything Kane, Toews, Duncan Keith, Doughty, Carter, Getlaf, Perry haven't done. These guys all thought they were better than everyone else, a few of them still do.

They might be right.

He probably isn't, I know Gstank knows a lot about hockey but again, it's not his job.

I'm not a carpenter but I do know a good amount about it. If I see a carpenter building a house I would never tell him he's doing it wrong

Button said Virtanen should be selected in the 2nd round before the draft then right before the draft he changed it to 6th. Hes not gospel by any means. I think he got his GM gig just how Torts got the Van gig. Charisma.

I had a similar problem as Jake, well sort of, and never made it too far played in some beer/rec leagues when I got older but as a teen and growing up I played on the rep teams until the hitting, intensity, and the pace of the game picked up.

Then it was house leagues. I had the height, the big shot, and the smooth skating.

Basically I didn't know where to be on the ice and when and made bad decisions with the puck and was lost in my own zone pretty much.

I played like a Mike Green type game like a fourth forward disregarding my d-zone responsibilities.

They told me I had good solid raw tools to work with if I could put it together.

But alas I had the tools but no toolbox and soon kids less physically talented than me began to catch up and get improve their physical skills enough to go along with their better decision making and that was it for my hopes of getting a scholarship. :picard:

Now I'm like most people who played a sport and know some guys who played in juniors or the minors went on to get drafted and think they know the game better than the pros.

While also somewhat bitter about their current lot in life and the potential future they didn't have.

I think that Johhny the Pizza guy that calls in to 1040 everyday and gets worked up because he thinks he knows the game having played with Vincent Lecavalier growing up.

Yeah... us hardcore fans of sports are a pretty sad bunch.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Upvote 4

wow, hes just blowing past guys there. Crushed Khaira, the guy who seemed to contain and win puck battles against Kassian on the wall in last years preseason game. Jake looks great out there.

Side note; Shinkaruk's looking good too. Backchecked a few times and didnt look that lost defensively compared to the preseason games.

Also, his skating looks great, much better than i've seen this year. His hip must be fully recovered.

What a bonus! Virtanen gets some AHL games in and the Comets move on to the 3rd Round. Great for the

Canuck youth.