The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

At this note, Nylander is also older and has a hockey father grooming him where as Jake was barely 17 and doing this against kids 2 years older than him.

Not that it's relevant because we don't know how good these professional 'men' are, but he managed 1 goal in 22 games during that time and was then loaned out because his development wasn't progressing. I guess the men were good enough to shut Nylander down.

That being said, Nylander's a pass-first winger. Saw some of that wizardry already in the Leafs prospects warmup coverage. He can skate and he can pass.

Meanwhile Virtanen's out. So no hype-building opportunity at the moment. Oh well.

I think you guys are misunderstanding me because I'm talking about circumstance as opposed to straight-up production. I'm not implying that Nylander is better than Virtanen... All I'm saying is that you're comparing statistics between players in pretty different situations.

Nylander was already playing professionally against men much older than him. Jake was dealing with, for the most part, teenagers.

EDIT: Typo.

Jakes 17. He's not exactly a big fish in a small pond. There are probably more experienced players there then himself. I'd take Jake's man sized body over Nylander's playmaking skill. Just because of our conference and because he probably is less likely of 'busting'.

N7Nucks;

Exactly!

Benning and Willie D will build a NHL version of a WHL team. Big enough not to be pushed around but a team approach that can get the goals when needed. I expect a speedier version of the Bruins. It will work come playoff time.

• Upvote 2

N7Nucks;

Exactly!

Benning and Willie D will build a NHL version of a WHL team. Big enough not to be pushed around but a team approach that can get the goals when needed. I expect a speedier version of the Bruins. It will work come playoff time.

A faster version of the Bruins, with a Vezina caliber goalie and perrenial Norris candidate on the blue line? Just add more scoring

Ya...i'll take it.

• Upvote 1

Shinky has better hands than Ehlers, but Ehlers is a better skater in my opinion.

Virtanen is as fast as Ehlers, a line of Shinkaruk/ Horvat/ Virtanen is scarier then with Ehlers replacing Virtanen.

That line has some built in protection, with Ehlers it would be a rough go in the corners.

Shinkaruk may be better than Ehlers at sneaky cross ice passes and such.

Shinky has better hands than Ehlers, but Ehlers is a better skater in my opin

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

Compare Virtanen with Ritchie??

Ritchie is the traditional heavy, physically dominating power forward. Virtanen is bigger than most players, but not close to Ritchie, but he's a lot faster and has a better shot. You can still call him a power forward though, due to his physicality.

Edited by William_Clarkson

I love what the pro scout says about jake one his bio on page 1, he's got a pro game now. if not for the injury id like someone to tell me of another player in this draft who is more nhl ready then Jake. When you see young guys sent back down, 9 times outta 10 its because they aren't ready size wise or strength wise jake is both. Plus his shot is already there and since he plays a more "meat and potatoes" style its easier to translate that to the nhl rather than a style of say Nylander or Ehlers. Both will get just crushed at there size. And yes maybe we will see some sick plays from those guys here and there over a full season it's obvious to anyone with hockey knowledge that jakes game could be consistent and succesfull right away which is freakin nuts considering he is the youngest guy in the draft and 1 month away for being a 2015 draftee. Let that soak in all you pro Nylander fans I dont see anything in jakes game that leads me to believe he wont end up being just a huge steal in this draft. :towel::canucks::shock:

• Upvote 2

That actually describes Virtanen a lot more than Nylander, virtanen is a much more selfish player than Nylander is.

incorrect. Virtanen doesn't circle the net, he just goes straight into it, without any care of who or what is infront of him.

Edited by Pimp C

I love what the pro scout says about jake one his bio on page 1, he's got a pro game now. if not for the injury id like someone to tell me of another player in this draft who is more nhl ready then Jake. When you see young guys sent back down, 9 times outta 10 its because they aren't ready size wise or strength wise jake is both. Plus his shot is already there and since he plays a more "meat and potatoes" style its easier to translate that to the nhl rather than a style of say Nylander or Ehlers. Both will get just crushed at there size. And yes maybe we will see some sick plays from those guys here and there over a full season it's obvious to anyone with hockey knowledge that jakes game could be consistent and succesfull right away which is freakin nuts considering he is the youngest guy in the draft and 1 month away for being a 2015 draftee. Let that soak in all you pro Nylander fans I dont see anything in jakes game that leads me to believe he wont end up being just a huge steal in this draft. :towel::canucks::shock:

There are guys in this draft more NHL ready then JV, I'm a big fan of the pick but that is a stupid statement.