The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

To Gstank, and snipe show.

I never said I was in love with Nylander or Ehlers. Or commented that they were better picks than Jake. I was responding to a claim which said Virtanen was the best offensive talent in the draft. Ehlers got twice as many assists and more goals than Virtanen last year in the CHL. It aint rocket science to suggest the guy I was responding to has a bloated image of Virtanen and that he probably does not have the offensive skills those guys have.

I would have picked Virtanen over Ehlers based on size & athleticism to go along with a decent whack of skills. But Ehlers still has better offensive talent. So do numerous other pics; Bennett, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Robbi Fabri, maybe Julius Honka... Virtanen is just not the best offensive talent in the last draft.

Guys we can still be fans but be objective.

To Gstank, and snipe show.

I never said I was in love with Nylander or Ehlers. Or commented that they were better picks than Jake. I was responding to a claim which said Virtanen was the best offensive talent in the draft. Ehlers got twice as many assists and more goals than Virtanen last year in the CHL. It aint rocket science to suggest the guy I was responding to has a bloated image of Virtanen and that he probably does not have the offensive skills those guys have.

I would have picked Virtanen over Ehlers based on size & athleticism to go along with a decent whack of skills. But Ehlers still has better offensive talent. So do numerous other pics; Bennett, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Robbi Fabri, maybe Julius Honka... Virtanen is just not the best offensive talent in the last draft.

Guys we can still be fans but be objective.

where is that link to advance stats i posted…. Virtanen is in the same tiers ehlers and Nylander offensivily.

No not necessarily. I haven't seen Virtanen enough to comment on him, but anyone can score a lot if they have an above average shot and an elite level playmaker by them (Thornton's various linemates can account for that).

Well the Hitmen don't really have any Decent playmakers other than maybe brassart and chase, but Virtanen certainly doesn't get inflated stats from a 7th round pick and an undrafted overager.
  • Upvote 2

All this talk of a lack of IQ is confusing. Any guy that scores 45 goals in a season has a decent IQ. We need goal scorers on this team and not playmakers. C'mon guys lets not insult our highest draft pick since the Sedins before he even plays a game.

Tom Sestito had 42 goals in has last year of junior. How much hockey IQ do we think he has?

(By the way, I'm not implying that Virtanen is an unintelligent player. Just playing the devil's advocate here.)

I like Jake. Physical size and athleticism count. He's also a pretty good talent.

But offensively speaking, he's not in the same league of talent as guys like Reinhart, Ehlers, Nylander. Not even close. They add measures of puck control and passing that are just not in Jake's tool chest...

Doesn't mean he wont pan out as a better pick than, say Ehlers, based on physical attributes. But you just cant make up what isn't there.

And none of those guys have as good of a release as Virtanen... none even come close.

What about Shinkaruk vs Nylander? How does Shinkaruk compare to Nylander in terms of offensive talent? If not, do we have any prospects who are as good or close to Nylander in that way?

Shinkaruk has a higher IQ and a better shot than Nylander, also plays with a higher level on intensity. Nylander is a bit faster and has better hands (Shinkaruks hands are amazing too btw). I'd say Shinkaruk is better and the only reason people would take Nylander ahead of him right now is because of Shinkaruks injury but what do I know. I also don't see Nylander as a center in the NHL.

Shinkaruk has a higher IQ and a better shot than Nylander, also plays with a higher level on intensity. Nylander is a bit faster and has better hands (Shinkaruks hands are amazing too btw). I'd say Shinkaruk is better and the only reason people would take Nylander ahead of him right now is because of Shinkaruks injury but what do I know. I also don't see Nylander as a center in the NHL.

shinkaruk seems a bit less aloof then nylander who is a bit of an enigma. Nylander is an awesome skater, shinkaruk has an awesome shot. They are definitely similar type players in style.

Tom Sestito had 42 goals in has last year of junior. How much hockey IQ do we think he has?

(By the way, I'm not implying that Virtanen is an unintelligent player. Just playing the devil's advocate here.)

in his draft year he had 10G 10A for 20pts and 176PIM. he also turned 19 on Sept 28 of his draft year and was one of the oldest players in the draft, Virtanen was one of the youngest in his draft year.

• Upvote 2

Guest Dasein

Oh I would say it's too early to say who's better right now.

I wouldn't say Shinkaruk has a higher IQ, a better shot and play with a higher level of intensity. I also wouldn't say Nylander has better hands. Those seem unsupported by any kind of concrete evidence.

Nylander has that speed factor, which is the only definitive edge he has over Shinkaruk.

The fact that we got a guy at #24 last year who is comparable to someone who went 8th overall this year is pretty amazing. Both are pretty talented offensive players, and both are likely going to play wing in the NHL.

We'll have to see in 4-10 years.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 3

Guest Dasein

Lol Kassian is way better than Ritchie

Apparently not.

I have no clue to be honest since I've never seen Ritchie play, but a lot of people say Ritchie is better at the same age.

Ritchie definitely is a better goal scorer, but Kassian probably has the edge on playmaking abilities.

I love the fact that Jake is a native to Abbottsford, BC. And of course it doesn't hurt that his favorite team is Vancouver. He will need some time to develop though, I'm thinking realistically another 2 years in juniour, as well as a year in the AHL.

I think that everyone here needs to cut him some slack about how his IQ "isn't up to where it should be." Remember he barely turned 18 years old on Aug. 17th. I believe he barely qualified for the 2014 draft; he was only like a week or two away from having to go into the 2015 draft. With that being said, he is still extremely young and he is still maturing not only physically, but mentally as well. If Jake studies hard, through video and such, and is constantly trying to improve his weaknesses and building on top of his strengths. H eshould have no problem step into the NHL one day for Vancouver, and being one heck of a competitor.

It's people like you that make everyone hate Canuck fans. I'm realistic not negative, I said I like the pick but saying he is the most NHL ready prospect is just wrong, 1+1 never = 3 yet in your case you want it to. Ekblad would be the obvious most NHL ready player from the draft, you can say he's not all you want but he is, Reinhart is more NHL ready and I'm sure you'll say he isn't too. JV was a great pick with where we were slotted. Don't get so emotional lady, you must be on your cycle.

People like me? I am not one who thinks all our prospects will become elite, or we are an elite team etc. Im a fan of the nucks but not a homer by any stretch. Eckblad may be NHL ready but if he played for a good team he probobly would be sent back to the colts, since D usually take longer to develop. I think sam should have gone #1 imo I think he's the best player in the draft. That being said he's still to skinny and could stand to bulk up some more. The reason I think jake is more ready isn't cuz he's better then those guys atm, he' just more ready as far as his size and speed and the style of game he plays. I think if Jake attended the combine healthy he might have gone sooner in the draft. The last part of ur thread is why i get annoyed with you. everytime you post you have a snarky remark to make. Why do you find that you must call someone down? no need to be crass all the time. it's fine to disagree having a debate is all part of these type of threads, just respect people and if they forget to put a comma (somthing you put me down for before.) or say somthing u don't agree with, no need to make fun of them. go on a tsn thread and read how some nucks fans post about oilers or flames news, they bash and insult them for no reason. Then we wonder why we wer'e voted most hated fans in the NHl.

And aren't you the guy that said they played professional sports? Went and said you were drafted in the 5th round of 1998, said you blew your arm out at LSU and then I used google to debunk you? You have to lie just to try and make your points seem valid, which still doesn't work, don't try so hard, you try hard.

Wow u debunked me from google? lol so u magically found out my name what state i lived in b4? you are too funny Hate all you want but don't make stuff up and say things that arn't true. please tell me how u can go on google and debunk me. Im flattered that you are so enamoured by me that u would go through all the trouble. i'll make it a little easier for you, google US bank Babe ruth Senior basbeall club from 1997 or 1996 Out of Seattle. not sure if it will show our roster or what not since iv'e never tried but if it does since you are so smart maybe u can use your obvious phycic skills and find out which one is me. I'll give you a hint in our team photo im wearing a hat lol. Im guessing you thought you would google who got drafted from canada in 1998? i guess you didn't count on me having duo status in the Usa and Canada HUH. Don't hate so much it will give you wrinkles

Wow u debunked me from google? lol so u magically found out my name what state i lived in b4? you are too funny Hate all you want but don't make stuff up and say things that arn't true. please tell me how u can go on google and debunk me. Im flattered that you are so enamoured by me that u would go through all the trouble. i'll make it a little easier for you, google US bank Babe ruth Senior basbeall club from 1997 or 1996 Out of Seattle. not sure if it will show our roster or what not since iv'e never tried but if it does since you are so smart maybe u can use your obvious phycic skills and find out which one is me. I'll give you a hint in our team photo im wearing a hat lol. Im guessing you thought you would google who got drafted from canada in 1998? i guess you didn't count on me having duo status in the Usa and Canada HUH. Don't hate so much it will give you wrinkles

no, she googled who was drafted by the rangers in the year you said you were drafted, in the round you said you were drafted, found that player, said the position you claimed was correct (pitcher), but the circumstances regarding your statement was completely wrong (that pitcher never went to LSU, never mind university at all. he went straight to the minors).

Actually I did. I was drafted by the texas Rangers in the 5th round in 98 and played 3 years at LSU before wrecking my shoulder and losing 10 miles an hour on my fastball. so ya i know what it takes to compete at an elite level in sports. the teams that u mentioned were crappy teams that stayed crappy, What u suggest home girl is for us to take a good team strip it down just to get one good pick. What a great culture to bring our youth up in. It seems all you can do is point out a spelling mistake, go argue withh mommy and daddy some more im sure they will pump ur 18 year old tires

In 1998 the Texas Rangers drafted Ryan Dittfurth in the 5th round, and while you got his position right, he was a pitcher, he didn't go to LSU...kid was drafted out of high school and went straight to the minors. Never went to college. Good story Al Bundy.

Hey man you should really go update your blog. It doesn't have any mention of a college career.

http://ryandittfurth.wordpress.com

Also his Birthday on his profile doesn't match Ryan Dittfurth. Same year different month.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 2