The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Hearing that Abbotsford's Matt Revel--who is one of Virtanen's friends and a former Fraser Valley Bruins teammate--is getting an invite from the Canucks.

Wonder if Jake put-in a good word?

(some scouting on Revel inside the spoiler)

Revel is a skilled playmaking centre with excellent hockey sense. He's never been the most naturally gifted player but he thinks the game at a very high level. He's also a strong competitor who tends to be one of the hardest working players on the ice.

Passed over during his bantam draft, Revel had an outstanding rookie season in major midget (25G, 26A, 40GP) where he actually outscored Virtanen by 12 points (they were both '96 born rookies on that Fraser Valley team). And after that performance, there was a brief period back around 2012 when Revel was being touted as one of the best '96 born players in Western Canada. He was actually an early projection for the top-60 in the 2014 NHL Draft.

Revel's major junior career started in Saskatoon before being traded to Kamloops--two of the WHL's weakest teams last season--and he hasn't always been blessed with the best quality of teammates. Still, he posted a respectable 19 points as a rookie and improved to 45 points as a 17/18-year-old.

Revel (although ranked in the middle rounds this year) was passed over in the 2014 NHL Draft.

He's listed at 5'11" and around 175-180 lbs. He shoots right.

At only 18 years old, Revel should be heading back to Kamloops for the 2014-15 WHL season and re-entering the draft in 2015. If the Canucks like him, I suppose he could be an candidate for a mid-to-late round pick (unless he really breaks out in 2014-15).

Here's a recent piece by Ian Esplen on Revel (following him being left off of Canada's U-18 squad):

Matt Revel – Kamloops Blazers
Matt Revel is one of my favourite players in this year’s draft class because of how hard he works every night. Because of that work ethic, Revel has shown improvement throughout the season and has now rounded into a very solid two-way player. Along with his work ethic, Revel also has good speed and a high skill level. I think Revel would have made a quality forward for Canada, and he could have played in all situations. - See more at: http://hockeynow.ca/major-junior/around-the-boards-5-whl-omissions#sthash.ebOEtcyT.dpuf

And here's his DraftSite scouting report:

Has been thrust into the role as the top centre on a weak Blades club. Tremendous competitor who seems to be involved on every part of every shift, outworking all around him, with good read and support, board battles and finding the open ice to receive pucks. Not the biggest player or greatest skater, but manages to get there with his feet moving in short choppy strides. Clearly a smart player who understands what and where to be and expends the effort to be there.

I think he tried smiling for a little too long and it got stuck like that.

But if Virtanen and McCann can live up to all the hype, then they'd be a pretty fantastic pairing along with whatever other winger they get.

I'm not expecting the following players to become anything more then a second line player.......

McCann

Virtannen (Although I expect him to become a 30 goal scorer who hits a ton)

Shinkaruk

Horvat.

in other words, the Vancouver Canucks are still lacking a potential top line forward.

I'm not expecting the following players to become anything more then a second line player.......

McCann

Shinkaruk

Horvat.

in other words, the Vancouver Canucks are still lacking a potential top line forward.

Any reasoning behind this or do we not use any basis or fact around here? At least pull something out of your a**.

McCann

Shinkaruk

Horvat.

Ummm...Shinkaruk and Virtanen are our potential 1st line forwards...

Hearing that Abbotsford's Matt Revel--who is one of Virtanen's friends and a former Fraser Valley Bruins teammate--is getting an invite from the Canucks.

Wonder if Jake put-in a good word?

(some scouting on Revel inside the spoiler)

Revel is a skilled playmaking centre with excellent hockey sense. He's never been the most naturally gifted player but he thinks the game at a very high level. He's also a strong competitor who tends to be one of the hardest working players on the ice.

Passed over during his bantam draft, Revel had an outstanding rookie season in major midget (25G, 26A, 40GP) where he actually outscored Virtanen by 12 points (they were both '96 born rookies on that Fraser Valley team). And after that performance, there was a brief period back around 2012 when Revel was being touted as one of the best '96 born players in Western Canada. He was actually an early projection for the top-60 in the 2014 NHL Draft.

Revel's major junior career started in Saskatoon before being traded to Kamloops--two of the WHL's weakest teams last season--and he hasn't always been blessed with the best quality of teammates. Still, he posted a respectable 19 points as a rookie and improved to 45 points as a 17/18-year-old.

Revel (although ranked in the middle rounds this year) was passed over in the 2014 NHL Draft.

He's listed at 5'11" and around 175-180 lbs. He shoots right.

At only 18 years old, Revel should be heading back to Kamloops for the 2014-15 WHL season and re-entering the draft in 2015. If the Canucks like him, I suppose he could be an candidate for a mid-to-late round pick (unless he really breaks out in 2014-15).

Here's a recent piece by Ian Esplen on Revel (following him being left off of Canada's U-18 squad):

And here's his DraftSite scouting report:

so is he a free potential pick up or is he just here for the experience?

McCann

Shinkaruk

Horvat.

No one was expecting Datsyuk or Zetterburg, etc.,etc., to be top 6 players let alone first line players. It isn't only top 3 picks that make the first line...oh boy...

Has there been any updates on Virtanen shoulder? I know he was ahead of schedule. Wondering if we might see him in some non-contact practices at least.

Answered my own question with this link if anyone is interested:

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nhl/Jake_Virtanen/3643667/jake-virtanen-shoulder-isnt-participating-in-contract-drills

Edited by VegasCanuck

so is he a free potential pick up or is he just here for the experience?

He's 18 and eligible for the next 2 drafts.

If he performs well at the camp and continues it to the season, maybe we'll pick up a 7th and take a chance on him if he's low key.

No one was expecting Datsyuk or Zetterburg, etc.,etc., to be top 6 players let alone first line players. It isn't only top 3 picks that make the first line...oh boy...

so in the future if there are some prospects out there that some canucks fans don't think they will become a true top line player your going to throw a garbage response like

"No one was expecting Datsyuk or Zetterburg, etc.,etc., to be top 6 players"

type of b.s? I didn't say they will bust, I think I think they will become second line players 60 point players.

Oh boy, were do you clowns come from?

I think what he is trying to say is that it is too early to cap a players potential especially for Virtanen who just turned 18. He was first overall in the WHL draft and 6th in the NHL draft, it probably isn't that crazy to think he could develop into a first line forward. Plus he could still have some growing to do as well if he puts on another two inches he could be scary at 6 foot 3 220 pounds as a 19 year old.

I think what he is trying to say is that it is too early to cap a players potential especially for Virtanen who just turned 18. He was first overall in the WHL draft and 6th in the NHL draft, it probably isn't that crazy to think he could develop into a first line forward. Plus he could still have some growing to do as well if he puts on another two inches he could be scary at 6 foot 3 220 pounds as a 19 year old.

2 inches at 18 is a stretch. An extra inch would be a surprise. I think 210-215 is pretty decent weight. He doesn't need to be enormous to be effective. He's got a great shot, wicked speed. Don't want him to get too big it interferes with his speed. Honestly at this stage I just want his IQ to be better. Work on his offensive weapons. Going straight through players won't work all the time at the NHL level.

so in the future if there are some prospects out there that some canucks fans don't think they will become a true top line player your going to throw a garbage response like

"No one was expecting Datsyuk or Zetterburg, etc.,etc., to be top 6 players"

type of b.s? I didn't say they will bust, I think I think they will become second line players 60 point players.

Oh boy, were do you clowns come from?

Calling him a clown probably makes you feel better eh Macho man? Geez.There a bunch of cases like Dat s and Zetty. He has a point.
  • Upvote 1