The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

The better question is , why waste yours and our time constructing a short story about why everyone has to agree with your opinion concerning why PHIL KESSEL isn't elite in the god damn JAKE VIRTANEN THREAD?

PS no one wants to hear about your "scouting technique ". You have told us your opinion about it in every prospect / draft thread on cdc and to be honest your defensiveness nullifies your credibility. :/

Well sorry mr grumpy pants, and the second part has nothing to do with what was being discussed, if you don't like it the ignore option is

^

l

that way.

I'm just exampling my stance sorry if that is some how a crime in your book

Bo isn't a 2nd line center yet, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

First he has to outplay Sutter for that spot and show that he can provide consistent offense against tough competition. He has taken good strides so far but he's got a ways to go before he can be labelled a second line center.

Ya....at least until Xmas...Bo will be getting 2nd line minutes by New Years and so will Sutter.

Even more then last year the top 3 lines will be getting even playing time, so which is line 2?

Are you trolling right now? Krejci scored 73 points in his sophomore season, and would be a 1C on most teams - other than the fact Bergeron is the best two way forward in the game.

PS Horvat definitely isn't a 2C. Are YOU sure you know what a 2C is? Haha.

A hockey player who will play on our second liner in the center position. Who will likely be Bo Horvat this year on the Vancouver Canucks. He may not start there, but he will be there by the end of this season.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but in 08-09 didn't Boston place 1st with like 55 wins? That team was stacked, kessel, wheeler, savard, list goes on. Comparing apples and oranges. He was also older then I think, he's gotta be 29 or 30 now.

Edited by shayster007_canucks

Im not complaining about his IQ, but it looks like the Kesler syndrome where it's shoot from anywhere when there are better plays to be made, and his so-so board play,which as mentioned above.

If you watched the world juniors last year, as fun as it was to watch Jake, it was equally as frustrating, one play in particular where there were literally two teammates open alone in front of the net, and Jake decided to take a horribly angled shot at the side of the net

First of all, his stats this year disagree. He focused more on making plays this year than scoring goals. Nevertheless, he’s likely to become that player since he’s a sniper. The trick is to utilize his skills with complementary skills he does not possess. AKA, a playmaking centerman (potentially McCann, Cassels, Horvat).

Regarding that one play you’re talking about. If I recall correctly, he had just finished hitting someone and started rushing after the puck, knowing that another player was about to take it. So because he got there first, he quickly dangled the guy and got it on net as quick as he could. Maybe his intentions were for a rebound but the goalie ended up controlling it.

People make mistakes, nobody’s perfect. There’s no sense in judging a prospect by one play.

Look at how often he hits (usually destroys) and stands up for teammates. His balance, strength, endurance, speed, stamina are off the charts for his age. That’s going to be crucial if he becomes a first line guy.

Just be patient, his offensive skills are there and they are not going anywhere.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes the team this year.

It's literal nonsense. Jake isn't even a meat n potatoes player, despite being a prototypical big Canadian forward. He's far quicker, more energetic, and has an elite level snap shot. He's not a thinking man's player, but he's not the kind of player that goes unnoticed in the ice either.

Don't let one guy's opinion sway you. The kid has come back stronger, leaner, and wants to make an impact. I realize he's just trying to temper expectations, but Jake is a beauty, he doesn't need to put up huge numbers to make an impact. As soon as he steps on the ice we're a different team. That's more than enough to get excited about.

:) Don't worry, no one's swaying my enthusiasm for this kid. I've been a huge supporter from day one, and I can't wait for him to hit pro full time so doubters can really see what we've got in him.

I guess I probably should rephrase the point I'm trying to make.

If you put Jake on a line with a centre like McCann or Horvat, who will both be pretty good, two way centre men, he won't be an elite scorer. In order for Jake to be an elite scorer in this league, he would need to play with an elite playmaking centreman. Jake doesn't have the offensive ability to be "the guy" on a first line in the NHL. However, he would be a very good complement to an elite playmaking centre.

Anyone else dizzy trying to make heads or tails of this guy's posts?

Jake needs to play with an elite center. Need to get our hands on an elite center. You want more elite than Henrik? You have back tracked more in this thread than the Duggars.

Bo isn't a 2nd line center yet, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

First he has to outplay Sutter for that spot and show that he can provide consistent offense against tough competition. He has taken good strides so far but he's got a ways to go before he can be labelled a second line center.

I don't think Bo has far to go before he's the #2c. He just has to pick up where he left off from the playoffs. He could easily be better than Sutter by December

Anyone else dizzy trying to make heads or tails of this guy's posts?

Jake needs to play with an elite center. Need to get our hands on an elite center. You want more elite than Henrik? You have back tracked more in this thread than the Duggars.

Henrik might be around for another 5 years, and I doubt Willy will play him with Hank anyways, unless he really improves his cycle game. Plus, if he does get some playing time beside Hank, he will when he's very young. I doubt we'll see him scoring at a first line rate by the time he's 22-23 years old. That would be EXTREMELY impressive.

I haven't back tracked. I've stayed by my original argument that Jake Virtanen cannot make himself an elite goal scorer in this league. The only way he could do that is if he is playing next to an elite playmaking centre. If Jake pots 20 goals per season on average, I'd honestly be happy with that kind of production out of him. He brings many other things to the table other than scoring, the biggest being his physical play.

I'm just bummed that we picked him at 6th overall......could have had Ehlers.

Henrik might be around for another 5 years, and I doubt Willy will play him with Hank anyways, unless he really improves his cycle game. Plus, if he does get some playing time beside Hank, he will when he's very young. I doubt we'll see him scoring at a first line rate by the time he's 22-23 years old. That would be EXTREMELY impressive.

I haven't back tracked. I've stayed by my original argument that Jake Virtanen cannot make himself an elite goal scorer in this league. The only way he could do that is if he is playing next to an elite playmaking centre. If Jake pots 20 goals per season on average, I'd honestly be happy with that kind of production out of him. He brings many other things to the table other than scoring, the biggest being his physical play.

I'm just bummed that we picked him at 6th overall......could have had Ehlers.

I think you're trying to say he needs an elite playmaking centre that excels on the rush, and I can agree wit that.

I like Ehlers, more than I do Nylander, but I'm still glad we got Virtanen.

Then there's this guy...

Like you've been told , give it a rest.

You're coming off like a slow adult.

Umm......I literally stated 3 facts in my post:

1. The Hitmen don't have great coaches

2. Besides the coaching, the Hitmen made it to the conference final, making them one of the top 4 teams in the league that year. If that constitutes being a "bad team", then what does that make the teams below them?

3. The Hitmen made it to the conference final, as I had stated in point 2.

But no just call me names. Makes you look like a child and harms your credibility in an argument. You're just helping me out.

Umm......I literally stated 3 facts in my post:

1. The Hitmen don't have great coaches

2. Besides the coaching, the Hitmen made it to the conference final, making them one of the top 4 teams in the league that year. If that constitutes being a "bad team", then what does that make the teams below them?

3. The Hitmen made it to the conference final, as I had stated in point 2.

But no just call me names. Makes you look like a child and harms your credibility in an argument. You're just helping me out.

... you stated 2 points.

I think you're trying to say he needs an elite playmaking centre that excels on the rush, and I can agree wit that.

I like Ehlers, more than I do Nylander, but I'm still glad we got Virtanen.

Unless Virt improves his cycle game, I don't really think he would have chemistry with Hank. The Sedins would be at their own blue line with the puck while Jake is already a zone ahead of them. The speed difference is immense. I know they have chemistry with the Honey Badger but he can cycle the puck very well, in addition to being lightning quick.

Like you said, he would need a centre who excels on the rush, someone like Monahan, Carter, Giroux, or Johnson.

Tank 4 Matthewz maybe??????

Edited by Tambellini's Wrist Shot

Unless Virt improves his cycle game, I don't really think he would have chemistry with Hank. The Sedins would be at their own blue line with the puck while Jake is already a zone ahead of them. The speed difference is immense. I know they have chemistry with the Honey Badger but he can cycle the puck very well, in addition to being lightning quick.

Like you said, he would need a centre who excels on the rush, someone like Monahan, Carter, Giroux, or Johnson.

Tank 4 Matthewz maybe??????

Maybe McCann could be that guy. We're not tanking.
  • Upvote 1

Maybe McCann could be that guy. We're not tanking.

I know :(. We're still too good of a team.

I don't see McCann being that kind of player. Mostly a finisher, and not terribly creative (he does show flashes of dynamic creativity though, but not consistently). He probably has the best release and accuracy on his shot out of everyone in our prospect pool though.

Edited by Tambellini's Wrist Shot

Vey is a solid Playmaking centre with a track record of setting up solid shooters in Toffoli and Pearson. It's a strech that they will play on the same line for multiple seasons, but could for the next 2 or 3.

Kenins/Higgins Vey Virtanen could be a fun line to watch.

• Upvote 1

Vey is a solid Playmaking centre with a track record of setting up solid shooters in Toffoli and Pearson. It's a strech that they will play on the same line for multiple seasons, but could for the next 2 or 3.

Possibly. Hopefully Vey can take a big step forward. Seems like a good guy in the room.

That's actually a good point. Couldn't really see how he'd fit in the line up but if he's put with Virt that could work.