The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

LOL. Kessel hasn't even hit 40 goals in the high scoring east. Elite? Pfft haha

Tbf, you need to have a lot of skill to make Bozak look like a competent 1C... and all while putting good points up on the board.

If Kessel isn't elite, then there's a very high cut-off for being 'elite.'

How many players in the league can beat a goalie 1 on 1 with a snap shot from the top of the circle without breaking stride? Kessel could beat any of these guys in a fastest skater race. Just because he likes to enjoy a dirty ol' cheeseburger from time to time doesn't mean he's not elite. If him and Sid stay healthy he is gunna put up 45 goals this year and hopefully hoist the cup so I can laugh at Toronto some more.

Tarasenko? Come on the guy has had one good season.

45 goals? Get real. I bet you he doesn't even end up playing with crosby.
  • Upvote 1

Okay then he will have to settle for Malkin and only put up 40. He puts up 35 with Phaneuf and Bozak feeding him the puck

his half assed effort on the backcheck wont fly in Pittsburgh. He's going to have to play defense. His numbers will increase by playing with brand name centeman like Malkin and crosby. But not 45 goals. Thats insane.

his half assed effort on the backcheck wont fly in Pittsburgh. He's going to have to play defense. His numbers will increase by playing with brand name centeman like Malkin and crosby. But not 45 goals. Thats insane.

my buddies who are huge leaf fans started screaming as a play was developing once last year...not paying attention (cause it was the leafs) I asked what all the commotion was about as I looked up to see the leafs get scored on.

they had me watch the whole replay...kessel had taken the puck up the ice, turned it over and as the play transitioned he literally stopped skating. once the play was badly past him he put a look of exhaustion on his face and skated slowly over to his bench as the other team was entering the leafs zone to score.

it was entirely unbelievable to me that an nhl player could get away with that.

my buddies who are huge leaf fans started screaming as a play was developing once last year...not paying attention (cause it was the leafs) I asked what all the commotion was about as I looked up to see the leafs get scored on.

they had me watch the whole replay...kessel had taken the puck up the ice, turned it over and as the play transitioned he literally stopped skating. once the play was badly past him he put a look of exhaustion on his face and skated slowly over to his bench as the other team was entering the leafs zone to score.

as a defensive minded player myself i never understood how players can be so lazy. I like scoring goals. I hate gatting goals scored on when im on the ice even more. Defense isn't hard, it just takes effort. Penguins forwrds need to be very good defensively this year with their abysmal defense. If not, kessel will be a negative 81.

He lost 20 pounds this summer....something tells me he's gonna take it a lil more seriously.

I know :(. We're still too good of a team.

I don't see McCann being that kind of player. Mostly a finisher, and not terribly creative (he does show flashes of dynamic creativity though, but not consistently). He probably has the best release and accuracy on his shot out of everyone in our prospect pool though.

*We also have a playmaking LW in Baer FWIW ;)

Vey is a solid Playmaking centre with a track record of setting up solid shooters in Toffoli and Pearson. It's a strech that they will play on the same line for multiple seasons, but could for the next 2 or 3.

Kenins/Higgins Vey Virtanen could be a fun line to watch.

That could be a long shot possibility as well. Though personally I see him more as a middle 6 RW moving forward...but you never know, he could go full Brendan Morrison on us.

Baer, Vey, Virtanen....?

Crazier things have happened.

ill believe it when i see it.

Kessel is the only guy in the NHL whose weight gets fudged downwards.

In other news, Virtanen hit his goal weight of 212 according to the training camp roster. Someone's been working hard this summer.

Edited by SamJamIam

Kessel was originally brought up as an example of a top scorer who doesn't possess "elite" hockey IQ. He's extremely skilled but I don't agree he "thinks" the game at an elite level. I'd also add Rick Nash is another who falls into this category.

How is this related to Jake? The usual "low IQ" grenades that people like to toss at him.

http://www.sportspickle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fc8f6fcb523463de5b60ad3e618a8212.gif

Kessel was originally brought up as an example of a top scorer who doesn't possess "elite" hockey IQ. He's extremely skilled but I don't agree he "thinks" the game at an elite level. I'd also add Rick Nash is another who falls into this category.

How is this related to Jake? The usual "low IQ" grenades that people like to toss at him.

Show me the iq test for hockey intelligence. It does not exist. This some dumb thing that Craig Button or some other smart person in hockey dreamed up.

Show me the iq test for hockey intelligence. It does not exist. This some dumb thing that Craig Button or some other smart person in hockey dreamed up.

Seriously. I would like to watch a super fit and hard-working Kessel before I make pronouncements on his hockey brain.

Some players play a smarter game than others, ie, Gretzky vs Roenick. Roenick isn't dumb (maybe), but he plays a different way. Forward-thinking rather than lateral thinking. Crosby and Ovi play a different way. It's fine to call one smart. Extreme examples are going to work a lot better here than close comparisons.

But of course, this will get translated by the quantification-conscience hockey intelligentsia into an EA Sports model that rates prospects' IQ, before they are in the big leagues, outside of the context of their eventual linemates. And then Virtanen gets branded with, "low IQ, can't play with the Sedins", as though being a power forward with a cannon is not such a great thing.

Button is not a "smart person" in anything and I suspect most players thought to have hockey intelligence are smart in there own right.

So an ordinary IQ test may do....

That sounds like what Gillis was trying to do; draft the smartest player. How long did it take him to draft a keeper?

I'm sure a Psyc student will correct me but they've identified 9 distinct types of intelligence. Athletic (Bodily - kinesthetic) is 1 of them. Scoring well in some, correlates with scoring well in others. But you can score well in some and low in others, like the savant in the movie "Rain Man".

1 Intelligence modalities

1.1 Musical–rhythmic and harmonic

1.2 Visual–spatial

1.3 Verbal–linguistic

1.4 Logical–mathematical

1.5 Bodily–kinesthetic

1.6 Interpersonal

1.7 Intrapersonal

1.8 Naturalistic

1.9 Existential

Edited by Crabcakes

*We also have a playmaking LW in Baer FWIW ;)

That could be a long shot possibility as well. Though personally I see him more as a middle 6 RW moving forward...but you never know, he could go full Brendan Morrison on us.

Baer, Vey, Virtanen....?

Crazier things have happened.

West Coast Express 2.0?

Naslund Morrison Bertuzzi........Baertschi Vey Virtanen......huh? huh?