The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

That sounds like what Gillis was trying to do; draft the smartest player. How long did it take him to draft a keeper?

I'm sure a Psyc student will correct me but they've identified 9 distinct types of intelligence. Athletic (Bodily - kinesthetic) is 1 of them. Scoring well in some, correlates with scoring well in others. But you can score well in some and low in others, like the savant in the movie "Rain Man".

1 Intelligence modalities

1.1 Musical–rhythmic and harmonic

1.2 Visual–spatial

1.3 Verbal–linguistic

1.4 Logical–mathematical

1.5 Bodily–kinesthetic

1.6 Interpersonal

1.7 Intrapersonal

1.8 Naturalistic

1.9 Existential

Doh...I just got 9 times dumber....

I really don't think Virt's as good of a fit with the Sedins as people seem to think. Different games entirely. He plays North South and they most certainly do not.

I can see how his speed(puck retrieval)/physicality/shot might seem attractive on the surface but they don't play very complimentary styles. How effective is his speed while they're patiently cycling the puck? I'm not convinced his positional awareness (while good for his age) is anywhere near Burrow's or Vrbata's.

IMO, if he does get promoted to the top 9, it's with Sutter or Horvat. (He could basically be a bigger, faster Kenins with more offensive talent on Horvat's RW).

Besides, if he's starting anywhere, it's almost certainly sheltered on the 4th line with minimal expectations so he can ease his way in. If he's on the third and one of the PP units by the end of the year, we call that a huge success IMO.

I agree with this.

Sorry about that. You know what happens when you try to be funny :sadno:

In all fairness, Jake did clearly warn him before the game.

So what then -- for the next 10 years, every time Jake touches McDavid Nurse's gonna try to fight him?

Ya, I think it should be an ongoing thing. It works for every body doesn't it?

Virtanen was sure fun to watch. He shot a little too much from bad angles but that's just his game (how long have we been waiting for a pure, shoot-first, guy). His physical game was as expected. I just hope that he is developed properly over the next couple years. He needs to learn to control that fire (not take stupid penalties or get caught out of position when going for a big hit).

Virtanen was sure fun to watch. He shot a little too much from bad angles but that's just his game (how long have we been waiting for a pure, shoot-first, guy). His physical game was as expected. I just hope that he is developed properly over the next couple years. He needs to learn to control that fire (not take stupid penalties or get caught out of position when going for a big hit).

We were getting pretty fed up with a pure shoot first guy in Kesler weren't we? And he was a Selke winner to boot

We were getting pretty fed up with a pure shoot first guy in Kesler weren't we? And he was a Selke winner to boot

A shoot first guy as a winger vs. a center is completely different. There will be times on the future where we will be fed up when Virtanen goes for a shot but it won't be as bad as Kesler.